Creede Silver Sale
131 Members and 15242 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Uh Oh --Target --email scam?

Started 1387516982.173 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1387557442.43 by Witchy Woman

I just got an email from "Target" about the hacking situation. I wondered how they got my email address since I don't have a Target card and don't recall ever having a reason to give them my email address.

There are several links in the email, but if I put my browser to them they look suspicious to me. I did not click on the links.

I don't know if this is legit or not and it's too late right now to find out. I just suggest we all be careful about such emails. Be careful about clicking any links that look legit but may not be.

"Oh wad some power the giftie gie us To see oursel's as others see us!"
--Robert Burns

Page 1 of 1
colliemom31387517042.4816042 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

Hi. I just got one too. I don't have a Target card either and don't know if the email is real. I didn't click on anything either.

scotttie1387517196.78737016 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

This is very suspicious!!!! Now that I look at the logo it doesn't look quite right either. However, it is a very authentic looking email...at first read, but the links I think are phonies.

--Robert Burns

inallsince­rity1387518226.587366 PostsRegistered 3/13/2013

Mmmm. It's probably nothing scottie, but be careful. I have a Target account and I also recently applied for a Target card, and I did not receive any email from them today...?

scotttie1387518683.0137016 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

It is identical in wording to what says on their website regarding the hacking. . However, the links are wonky in the email. . On the website when you put your browser over the links they show up correctly. But the ones in my email do not.

Example if the link says www.qvc.com when you put your browser over it, it should say www.qvc.com

These links do not. They have a bunch of other stuff in them.

Also the logo doesn't look right.

--Robert Burns

inallsince­rity1387518751.497366 PostsRegistered 3/13/2013
On 12/19/2013 beammeupscottie said:

It is identical in wording to what says on their website regarding the hacking. . However, the links are wonky in the email. . On the website when you put your browser over the links they show up correctly. But the ones in my email do not.

Example if the link says www.qvc.com when you put your browser over it, it should say www.qvc.com

Thanks. I will keep an eye out in case.

scotttie1387519735.82337016 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

I just googled "target email scam" and found this from the BBB (it was a Memphis CBS station story).

http://wreg.com/2013/12/19/target-security-breach-may-lead-to-more-scams/

--Robert Burns

sylviahome­atlast1387519759.688848 PostsRegistered 6/9/2008CO
I have a Target card but didn't shop there during the fraud period--thanks for the warning

"...the soft essence of vanished flowers..."
Mary Oliver

qvcaddition1387523050.1335594 PostsRegistered 6/30/2007

I have gotten e mail,s him the past from companies that look legit ,but are not. Be very careful. I would just delete.

daisy41387530029.5831498 PostsRegistered 6/8/2006

I would never open an unsolicited e-mail either, but I heard something interesting on the TV news today. They said that those magnetic strips on the back of your credit cards contain more than just your account number. They also contain your name, address and social security number. That's what makes this hacking so dangerous. They recommended that you freeze your credit report so that no one can go in and see what your credit score and history is.

Mindy D1387537310.91213 PostsRegistered 5/23/2010
Do not click--delete immediately. Scammers could send malware this way.

Lila Belle1387544492.889659 PostsRegistered 1/24/2013

I have both a target debit and CC and used them several times during the breach. I haven't gotten any emails from them other than their ads.

I hope no one's security was breached. Good luck !

Love thy neighbor means no exceptions.

"You don't need people’s opinion on a fact. You might as well have a poll asking: ‘Which number is bigger, 15 or 5?’ or ‘Do owls exist?’ or ‘Are there hats?'" John Oliver

brii1387547014.42723486 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008

I wouldn't click on any links.

I shopped at Target during that time frame, but used cash. I went and checked back. I also called the bank, and they said they weren't closing any accounts as a precaution.

SydneyH1387547154.00341234 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006

I'm getting strange spam from faux Kohls' site.

A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

-- Walter Bagehot

Ladybug7241387547578.144743 PostsRegistered 11/13/2007
On 12/20/2013 Lila Belle said:

I have both a target debit and CC and used them several times during the breach. I haven't gotten any emails from them other than their ads.

I hope no one's security was breached. Good luck !

Me too Lila Belle--how do we know if our accounts were compromised, everything seems ok but could something show up in the future?

JustJazzmom1387547665.63727893 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

I used to get spam all the time-- those replacement windows, medicare, diabetes care spam e mails and kept deleting them. Finally thought: let me see if I can make the spammers think they have an inactive e mail.

Here is what I did: I let my e mail server remove the spam without me opening it at all or deleting as soon as I saw it. My particular server lets spam remain unopened in the spam box for 5 days.

As the days went on and spam dropped out of my spam box by the server, I noticed I was receiving less and less spam. Yesterday the final spam dropped out of my spam box. I have not had any new spam for at least the past 5 days and I used to get at least 5 pieces/day!!

I think the spammers have some sort of signal that gets pinged back to them if you delete immediately their spam. It then shows the spammers that they have an active e mail instead of a dead one.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

------1387547850.5218558 PostsRegistered 2/13/2008

Never click on links in emails. Go directly to the website and access accounts.

you mad bro?

croemer1387548848.75774711 PostsRegistered 1/29/2009

Don't click on the links!

"Well Bless Your Pea Pickin' Heart."

betteb1387549000.24716334 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz

I just heard on GMA that Target did send out an email to affected customers yesterday.

"God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes. 'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues" Everlast

Buck-i-Nana1387549134.727874 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007South West Ohio
On 12/20/2013 ------ said:

Exactly. That includes ALL e-mails, even my e-bills. Just a good habit to get into.

Everyone needs to be aware too that this hacking problem didn't just steal the account data of Target cards! Any card that was swiped at a Target store during that period potentially had the data stolen. If you used a PIN number rather than running your card as a credit card with signature, then you need to IMMEDIATELY go and change your PIN number.

Enjoying my retirement 1 cup of coffee at a time.

NOT invisible anymore, so get over it! I'm not gonna disappear :)

scotttie1387556246.14737016 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006
On 12/20/2013 betteb said:

I just heard on GMA that Target did send out an email to affected customers yesterday.

I still think that the one I got is bogus. Because of the fact that when you put your browser over the links in the email, they are not taking you to the site you think you are going to.

I suspect if you click on the links it will take you to another phony site that will ask you for more information like bank account numbers etc. The links are supposed to be taking you to credit reporting agencies and the government reporting agencies. Scary stuff out there!

I notified Target about this. I hope they get on to it.

--Robert Burns

scotttie1387556343.34337016 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006
On 12/20/2013 Buck-i-Nana said:
On 12/20/2013 ------ said:

Exactly. That includes ALL e-mails, even my e-bills. Just a good habit to get into.

Everyone needs to be aware too that this hacking problem didn't just steal the account data of Target cards! Any card that was swiped at a Target store during that period potentially had the data stolen. If you used a PIN number rather than running your card as a credit card with signature, then you need to IMMEDIATELY go and change your PIN number.

Me too. I get daily (hourly?) notifications from my credit card companies about my balances. I never use the link they provide just in case. I always type in my own.

--Robert Burns

kdgn1387556732.32313202 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

And there's the tip-off Scottie: When you put your mouse over the link it must show up the same or it's a scam. I haven't received this one, yet, but I have received others. When hovering over the link in the email the addresses didn't match at all.

Didn't take scammers long, did it?

scotttie1387557272.0837016 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006
On 12/20/2013 kdgn said:

And there's the tip-off Scottie: When you put your mouse over the link it must show up the same or it's a scam. I haven't received this one, yet, but I have received others. When hovering over the link in the email the addresses didn't match at all.

Didn't take scammers long, did it?

Sure didn't. I wonder if it is part of the original hacking. Great way to get those you didn't get in the first round....or to get additional private information.

--Robert Burns

Witchy Wom­an1387557442.432688 PostsRegistered 12/17/2005

I haven't heard anything from there and was shopping there this morning for groceries.

I have been on line to check my Red Card statement, and it was fine. But when I tried to get in this morning, the page would not load.

No communication from them as of a few minutes ago. Which, in itself, is alarming. They've known about this for a while now and they cannot get in touch with all customers?

I'll just keep checking my statement. Only use the card as a credit card, not debit. So, I'm assuming I can correct any errors.

Page 1 of 1