Just-Reduced Clearance
75 Members and 16495 Guests Online

Viewpoints

What stage of life are you in? (According to Carl Gustav Jung)

Started 1386107016.72 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1386251161.117 by msmeerkat

“Thoroughly unprepared, we take the step into the afternoon of life. Worse still, we take this step with the false presupposition that our truths and our ideals will serve us as hitherto. But we cannot live the afternoon of life according to the program of life’s morning, for what was great in the morning will be little at evening and what in the morning was true, at evening will have become a lie.” Carl Gustav Jung

According to the Swiss psychologist, Carl Gustav Jung, there are 4 archetypes, 4 stages that we go through during our lifetime, and these stages are:

1. The ATHLETE Stage

At this stage, we are mostly preoccupied with our looks, with the way our body looks. During this stage we might stay for hours looking and admiring our reflection in the mirror. Our body, our looks are the most important thing to us, nothing else.

-2. The WARRIOR stage

During this period, this stage, our main concern is to go out there and conquer the world, to do our best, be the best and get the very best, to do what warriors do, and act like warriors act. This is a stage when we continually think of ways to get more than everybody else, a stage of comparison, of defeating those around so we can feel better because we have achieved more, because we are the warriors, the brave ones.

3. The STATEMENT stage

At this time, this stage in your life, you realize what you have achieved so far is not enough for you to feel fulfilled, to be happy… you are now looking for ways to make a difference in the world, for ways to serve those around you. You are now preoccupied with ways to start giving. You now realize what you chased after until now, money, power, possessions etc. will keep on appearing in your life but you no longer attribute them the same value as before, you no longer are attached to those things because you are now in a different stage of your life, where you know there is more to life than that. You receive them, you accept them and you are grateful, but you are ready to let go of them at any time. You are looking for ways to stop thinking only about yourself, of ways to receive and start focusing on living a life of service. All you want to do in this stage is give. You now know that giving is receiving and it is time for you to stop being selfish, egotistical and self-centered and think of ways to help those in need, to leave this world better than it was when you arrived.

"> 4. The Stage of the SPIRIT

According to Jung, this will be the last stage of our life, a stage where we realize that none of those 3 stages are really who and what we are. We realize we are more than our body, we are more than our possessions, more than our friends, our country and so on. We come to the realization that we are divine beings, spiritual beings having a human experience, and not human beings having a spiritual experience. We now know this is not our home, and we are not what we thought we are. We are in this world but not of it. We are now able to observe ourselves from a different perspective. We are now capable to step out of our own mind, out of our own body and understand who we really are, to see things the way they are. We become the observer of our lives. We realize that we are not that which we notice but, the observer of what we notice.

2500 years ago, Lao Tzu (abt.551-479 BCE) was trying to teach us just that, was trying to teach us how to get to this last stage of life, this spiritual stage: “Can you step back from your own mind and thus understand all things? Giving birth and nourishing, having without possessing, acting with no expectations, leading and not trying to control: this is the supreme virtue.”

Ever felt an angel’s breath in the gentle breeze? A teardrop in the falling rain? Hear a whisper amongst the rustle of leaves? Or been kissed by a lone snowflake? Nature is an angel’s favorite hiding place. ~Terri Guillemets

Page 1 of 2
Jules52801386107826.8978766 PostsRegistered 6/25/2013Land of Oz

Hmmm... interesting topic. I studied lots of Psychology in high school and college. I think I am phasing out of the Warrior stage and definitely delving into the Statement stage, although I think I have some of the pre-Spirit stage too. Life is complicated, I think we live with all stages in us, just some dominate at more times than others. Although I am grateful to not be stuck in Freud's An*al stage. Smile

"Pearls are the product of pain~~precious, tiny jewels conceived through irritation, born of adversity, nursed by adjustment."

Preds1386111112.9321878 PostsRegistered 12/17/2012Here and there

I fell off the stage a long time ago. I'll just sit here for a while.

Learn from yesterday ... Live for today ... Hope for tomorrow.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it indecent exposure, but whatever ...

Mama Mia1386111540.8938790 PostsRegistered 3/4/2008
On 12/3/2013 Predsfan said:

I sure hope you didn't bang your head.{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

mm

"Cats are like potato chips. You can never have just one."
meow\

~moxie~1386111599.372768 PostsRegistered 5/17/2007Central Valley, CA

Sounds like a personal belief. Not a stage. I think it is total BS

"Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. "

colliegirls1386111729.6536483 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012

Is there a "ticked off at everything and everyone" stage????

Preds1386114305.61721878 PostsRegistered 12/17/2012Here and there
On 12/3/2013 Mama Mia said:

I sure hope you didn't bang your head.{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

mm

Of course I did.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it indecent exposure, but whatever ...

hckynut1386114499.25319587 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

What stage of life are you in? (According to Carl Gustav Jung)

I have no idea who Gustav might be and credentials do not mean much to me when it comes to making general statements about human beings. Every body is a mold of only 1, and that will never change.

My stage of life is the one I am happy with and will continue to be optimistic about what the future holds for me and my family.

What Mr. Jung said is way more than I wanted to read, but I thought I would base my reply on only the title of this thread, while using a couple of his names

hckynut(john)

BlueCollar­Babe1386115923.83310909 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007

Jung could only judge by his own personal experience and that of people he studied who were part of his culture, perhaps even of his social class.

I've never spent hours admiring myself in a mirror nor have I ever been preoccupied with a lot of material things or power. I never wanted to have more than the next person because I've always been very happy with "enough". I know there are people like those who Jung described but many of them never move through "stages". A lot of them are stuck in Jung's stage 1 and 2 right into old age. And other individuals are in stages 3 and 4 from their early years.

Lil Okie D­okie1386116194.41396 PostsRegistered 11/15/2013

Where is the comfortable stage cuz that's where I am? I am comfortable with me and I am comfortable telling others what I think in a heartbeat.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Bird mama1386118412.10710473 PostsRegistered 3/24/2009Michigan

{#emotions_dlg.lol} I had a rough day and needed a laugh - this was priceless.

~ bird ~

JustJazzmom1386119987.91728063 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

And who's to say we don't go from one stage to the next and back again?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

graycatsru­le1386120350.8135609 PostsRegistered 7/3/2013

I don't fit the mold, none of those stages

Love Roses1386121821.89710414 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007

Lao Tzu is right on for me. That Jung guy never lived here in America did he? Why anyone takes him seriously is beyond me. If I had met him I'd have told min to shove it all and get real! Then he could go get a life.

Never Forget - The Native American Indian Holocausts!

gazelle771386123633.9439692 PostsRegistered 3/1/2013
None of these so called stages fit me at all

~~Always remember--
You're braver than you believe
And stronger than you seem
And smarter than you think~
~Pooh

sylviahome­atlast1386123756.3879108 PostsRegistered 6/9/2008CO
totally #4--I realize I'm on my personal journey --with owl and raccoon for my travel companions--- passing through tall grass fields strewn with beads and sparkles---heading toward the deep woods where my small friends can discern throughout the night

"...the soft essence of vanished flowers..."
Mary Oliver

MarLoCat1386128361.3632533 PostsRegistered 9/30/2012

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

Shorty2U1386130949.16314901 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007PA

I don't fit those so called stages. I was never out looking for possessions or to be this or that. I am me, down to earth take it leave it. The only thing that changed about me over the years is I don't care what anyone thinks. But these things never changed. My kids, my family, my husband are the most important things in my life. I never obsessed about my looks or being high and mighty. I never cared about material things and money is at the bottom of my list.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

LoopyLoo1386132869.4172163 PostsRegistered 7/30/2011

Ah, yes--Carl Jung--I remember him well--Psych 101!

He's enough to give you stage fright, I tell ya!

Love Roses1386133589.6210414 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007
On 12/3/2013 MarLoCat said:

SNAGGLE PUSS

Never Forget - The Native American Indian Holocausts!

baker1386134394.161155 PostsRegistered 11/9/2004

Life's a B---- and then you die!

Jules52801386135875.9938766 PostsRegistered 6/25/2013Land of Oz

Preds, you did a stage dive? Next time you plan that, warn us so we can catch you! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I never believed any of that psycho-babble to be honest. A person can see many qualities in themselves that so-called professionals tried to analyze. Any person can be in any of those "stages" at any time in their lives.

"Pearls are the product of pain~~precious, tiny jewels conceived through irritation, born of adversity, nursed by adjustment."

Marienkaef­er21386138164.9838453 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Beautiful San Juan Islands

I think if you look at what was written in generalities, it does sort of make sense.

Youth is obsessed with ego and self image. You are concerned about your looks and your attractiveness to others, particularly romantic attraction.

Then you graduate college, go out into the work world, try to prove yourself and get your own "stuff." Build your career.

Then you've reached all or some of your goals,and you start to realize there is a world out there of other people with different experiences. It becomes important to you to reach out to that world. Think outside of yourself.

Finally you reach a stage where you really think.outside of yourself, to spiritual things and the BIG questions...is this all there is?

Like I said, this is all GENERALITIES. But imo there are some truths in it.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. -- George Carlin

Pqfan1386167964.166237 PostsRegistered 2/15/2006
On 12/3/2013 colliegirls said:

Yes and I am in it.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

I am trying to work through it though because it is not my natural way of being.

Victoriann­na1386167968.98101 PostsRegistered 12/3/2013
On 12/4/2013 Marienkaefer2 said:

I think if you look at what was written in generalities, it does sort of make sense.

Youth is obsessed with ego and self image. You are concerned about your looks and your attractiveness to others, particularly romantic attraction.

Then you graduate college, go out into the work world, try to prove yourself and get your own "stuff." Build your career.

Then you've reached all or some of your goals,and you start to realize there is a world out there of other people with different experiences. It becomes important to you to reach out to that world. Think outside of yourself.

Finally you reach a stage where you really think.outside of yourself, to spiritual things and the BIG questions...is this all there is?

Like I said, this is all GENERALITIES. But imo there are some truths in it.

Very good way of breaking it down. Thank you. I agree with you.

Ever felt an angel’s breath in the gentle breeze? A teardrop in the falling rain? Hear a whisper amongst the rustle of leaves? Or been kissed by a lone snowflake? Nature is an angel’s favorite hiding place. ~Terri Guillemets

Preds1386169295.4121878 PostsRegistered 12/17/2012Here and there
On 12/4/2013 Pqfan said:
On 12/3/2013 colliegirls said:

Yes and I am in it.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

I am trying to work through it though because it is not my natural way of being.

This is the stage where every thing can be answered with your middle finger. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Page 1 of 2