Guaranteed Delivery
132 Members and 16606 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Christmas gift ideas

Started 1383336718.313 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1383420489.29 by JESSA

I need ideas for gifts for co-workers and teachers that is not too expensive. Just want to give something that makes them know I am thinking of them and that someone receiving it would think good gift. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2
tansy1383336864.40328145 PostsRegistered 4/19/2005
According to the Q, mini flashlights will delight everyone on your gift list :)

An eye for an eye only leads to more blindness *** Margaret Atwood.

momtodogs1383337391.3573895 PostsRegistered 9/20/2006

Ok, I may be an odd ball but I feel uncomfortable when I am gifted by a non close friend.

Years ago we shared an office with another office and two of the women would always gift me with something....not saying you are doing this but....really they should have kept what they gave, yes I know this sounds harsh, I just wish they would have not done the gift thing. To me if you want to give a gift, do some baking, coffee cake for Christmas morning or a home made tin of cookies. The only person that I exchange gifts with except for family is my dear friend that I have had for years.

abbeythe8th1383337668.024311 PostsRegistered 9/2/2007
On 11/1/2013 momtodogs said:

Ok, I may be an odd ball but I feel uncomfortable when I am gifted by a non close friend.

Years ago we shared an office with another office and two of the women would always gift me with something....not saying you are doing this but....really they should have kept what they gave, yes I know this sounds harsh, I just wish they would have not done the gift thing. To me if you want to give a gift, do some baking, coffee cake for Christmas morning or a home made tin of cookies. The only person that I exchange gifts with except for family is my dear friend that I have had for years.

I am a retired teacher. We were advised not to eat home baked items.

Joann12181383338253.11285 PostsRegistered 10/20/2005

No, I don't feel uncomfortable receiving gifts from co-workers and actually they started the gift exchange. I remember when I first started there five years ago, I didn't get anyone anything, but co-workers gave me something. So now we exchange gifts and it is only a matter of four gifts. I just am running out of ideas.

rondell1383339130.99313373 PostsRegistered 12/17/2009USA

A nice candle with ring, gift cards, tea assortment, coffee assortment, a beautiful tree ornament...by the way, how much do you want to spend on these gifts?

HisElk1383339178.9272522 PostsRegistered 9/30/2012

Maybe a gift certificate to one of their favorite restaurants? I would agree with the baking thing as some people can be allergic to different things that are used in the baking process.

Hope you're able to find some good ideas.

lolakimono1383339361.23714707 PostsRegistered 3/29/2012

Well, depending on your price range, here are some teacher gifts that can be purchased for different pricepoints:

gel pens for grading

a rubber stamp/ink pad

packages of stickers

stationery

Starbucks card

magnets

Post-its in fun colors/patterns

elementary- a hard cover book for their library

a board game for the classroom

calendar/agenda

Smencils

movie tickets

water bottle

What most teachers would appreciate is a heartfelt letter (or card) from your child referencing a favorite day, activity, or class of theirs.

You could also send (FREE) a letter to the principal about those teachers who you think are really dedicated, outstanding educators and what impact they have had on your child's schooling.

For co-workers, I bought subtle scents of flavors of lip balm from Body Shop and wrote a poem asking them to take their favorite scent to keep those lips in shape for talking.

This year I will probably make microwaveable/freezable flax seed wraps in different fabrics that they can pick from to ease any aches/pains and write a silly poem to accompany them.

I have done gourmet cocoas/coffees in the past and those have gone over well.

dmod nj1383339799.3222905 PostsRegistered 10/4/2011Jersey

For the teachers, write a letter stating how pleased you are with the teacher and what is going on in your child's classroom. Give specific examples and your reasons. Include things your child has said that touched, inspired or encouraged him/her.

Mail a copy of that letter to the teacher's principal, superintendent and board members.

Give a copy of that letter, in a card, to the teacher.

I bet it would be very much appreciated.

"Help them and save them from their cfcp, twisted, bsc, diseased minds."

clemintine1383340185.63718278 PostsRegistered 11/5/2007C.C.
On 11/1/2013 tansy said: According to the Q, mini flashlights will delight everyone on your gift list :)

....and ratcheting screwdrivers!

Really? AGAIN?

Don't forget the l.e.d. lanterns. Bright! and sparkly.

oops! Forgot about soy candles, with their own bags and tags!!

Last edited on 11/1/2013

RetRN1383344716.3931355 PostsRegistered 10/1/2013

And there is always Poo-pourri.

Pook1383345182.7773975 PostsRegistered 5/5/2007

The Sistema mugs and soup bowls would make great gifts. Fill them with candy. The item #'s are K39772 and K39688. I have them and they are great for heating things up and they won't dry out the food either.

Marienkaef­er21383345649.2538899 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Beautiful San Juan Islands

My sister is a teacher, and guess what happens to all the candles,mugs, tea bags, soaps,ornaments, etc that she gets each year? They are re gifted or donated.

Gift cards to Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target are what she appreciates. Guess what she does with those? Buys cool learning stuff for her students and classroom. That's what makes her happy.

Last edited on 11/1/2013

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. -- George Carlin

Lynneuk1383346932.5138370 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006
On 11/1/2013 Marienkaefer2 said:

My sister is a teacher, and guess what happens to all the candles,mugs, tea bags, soaps,ornaments, etc that she gets each year? They are re gifted or donated.

Gift cards to Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Target are what she appreciates. Guess what she does with those? Buys cool learning stuff for her students and classroom. That's what makes her happy.

Exactly what I was going to write. I have several friends who are teachers and this is exactly what happens. Imagine how many of those things they get over the years, it is just too much "stuff"!

Jannabelle1383348784.55717996 PostsRegistered 1/13/2008

Every year we have this thread and every yr we have what seems like teachers complaining about their gifts and every yr I think, I hope you don't show that attitude to the child who may have picked something out a mug or knickknack at the thrift store because they just know you are going to love it......gifts from little kids are not necessarily about giving teachers something useful, but their own sweet way of saying they adore you.....I understand a teacher could end up with a lot of useless stuff, but please be grateful then do what you want with it,just try not to let the kids know if you get rid of it.....amen....lol........now my idea of gift ideas depends on budget and what the person likes, I do know that as far as gift cards even a $5 one in a card to a coffee place would be nice,and they sell them in groups at Lowes or you can often buy them around the holidays and get a bonus card.......not everyone can spend $25 and up for each teacher, or co worker and that is the amount a restaurant gift card would need to be....and some teachers would be grateful for just a card saying how much they are appreciated.

No longer a bug! ; )

Allegheny1383349811.711424 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007PA
On 11/1/2013 clemintine said:
On 11/1/2013 tansy said: According to the Q, mini flashlights will delight everyone on your gift list :)

....and ratcheting screwdrivers!

Really? AGAIN?

Don't forget the l.e.d. lanterns. Bright! and sparkly.

oops! Forgot about soy candles, with their own bags and tags!!

We actually gave out the little flashlights as mini gifts to some male family members 3 years ago. Granted when they first opened them it was like no big thrill. But we had several tell us the following year how much they liked those flashlights, and their wives were jealous they didn't get one.

lolakimono1383349879.7714707 PostsRegistered 3/29/2012
On 11/1/2013 Jannabelle said:

...some teachers would be grateful for just a card saying how much they are appreciated.

One of my favorite gifts was a Godiva chocolate bar with a heartfelt note. The chocolate didn't last long, LOL, but I still have the note. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

casuallady1383350876.8871264 PostsRegistered 4/25/2007
On 11/1/2013 lolakimono said:

...some teachers would be grateful for just a card saying how much they are appreciated.

One of my favorite gifts was a Godiva chocolate bar with a heartfelt note. The chocolate didn't last long, LOL, but I still have the note. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Good idea. My husband was a middle school teacher, and they get less gifts, but I like the candy with the note. Something that can be used, soaps, gift cards,...

NoelSeven1383350971.0119822 PostsRegistered 3/9/2010
On 11/1/2013 rondell said:

A nice candle with ring, gift cards, tea assortment, coffee assortment, a beautiful tree ornament...by the way, how much do you want to spend on these gifts?

ITA with your ideas, rondell Smile

I dream of a society where a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.

twopeas1383351667.6275021 PostsRegistered 6/5/2011PNW

Are you near a Kohl's or do you shop on-line? Last year at Kohl's I picked up their Holiday Memories candles in a jar ~ the one called Sugar Cookie. It is the BEST smelling candle I have ever had and I buy a lot of candles. I bought enough for my husband's team in his office (they're all women) and they went nuts. This year, I ordered 20 of them on-line and will gift them again. Some for me and a couple for a few of my buddy's, too. They are normally around $10, but I got them for around $5.00.

If you always tell the truth you will never have to try and remember what you said before .....

Holly Joll­y JingleBells1383353890.1139013 PostsRegistered 6/25/2013Santa's Workshop
On 11/1/2013 Joann1218 said:

I need ideas for gifts for co-workers and teachers that is not too expensive. Just want to give something that makes them know I am thinking of them and that someone receiving it would think good gift. Any suggestions?

Since you don't say how many co-workers and teachers you are buying gifts for, many of the suggestions mentioned are very nice. You say not too expensive, so in the $5-$10 range, what about a gift card to Starbucks or whatever your local coffee shop might be. I tried to not get involved in personal gift giving with co-workers unless it was my assistant, a gift exchange where we picked a name, or I was part of a group purchase for a gift for a boss. Receiving gifts from co-workers made me a bit uncomfortable because if someone gives you something and you didn't get them something, then you feel obligated to get them something and that might not be financially possible. It's a nice thought and gesture, but holiday gift giving tends to put lots of pressure on people. Gifts for your children's teachers I can totally understand and appreciate, they deserve to be acknowledged but it depends on the teacher and how much you can afford. Perhaps a nice scarf or pretty pair of gloves, a box of chocolates or a gift cert to the local movie theater or a restaurant. Whatever you do I am sure it will be appreciated, after all, it should really be about the spirit behind the gift no matter what it actually is. I do think a personal hand written note is the best gift of all to show appreciation.

"Oh, by golly have a holly jolly Christmas this year!"

aka Jules

Lynneuk1383357222.9778370 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

No insult to anyone but I think candles have been done to death and most people have enough to make it through an apocalypse,lol!

Just sayin'Wink

Marienkaef­er21383357581.6478899 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Beautiful San Juan Islands

Every year we have this thread and every yr we have what seems like teachers complaining about their gifts and every yr I think, I hope you don't show that attitude to the child who may have picked something out a mug or knickknack at the thrift store because they just know you are going to love it......gifts from little kids are not necessarily about giving teachers something useful, but their own sweet way of saying they adore you.....I understand a teacher could end up with a lot of useless stuff, but please be grateful then do what you want with it,just try not to let the kids know if you get rid of it.....amen....lol........now my idea of gift ideas depends on budget and what the person likes, I do know that as far as gift cards even a $5 one in a card to a coffee place would be nice,and they sell them in groups at Lowes or you can often buy them around the holidays and get a bonus card.......not everyone can spend $25 and up for each teacher, or co worker and that is the amount a restaurant gift card would need to be....and some teachers would be grateful for just a card saying how much they are appreciated.

Of course not!

Geez this is not about teachers being unappreciative. Does it sound unappreciative to turn around and use those gift cards for stuff for the students? To me it sounds like a teacher who wants to do more for the students.

Would a teacher who cares enough to buy things for the classroom be the kind of person who would snub any child's gift?

The o/p asked a practical question, and these are responses.

My sister does not have the closet space or the desire to store and use all of those candles and mugs, etc. All of which cost more than $5. Most of them are in the $25 and up range.

And we don't live in the days of the Walton's or Little House on the Prairie. Most of those kids are not saving up their pennies and picking out the gifts. Their parents are buying them on QVC for them. Wink

Last edited on 11/1/2013

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. -- George Carlin

Jannabelle1383358334.22717996 PostsRegistered 1/13/2008
On 11/1/2013 Marienkaefer2 said:

Of course not!

Geez this is not about teachers being unappreciative. Does it sound unappreciative to turn around and use those gift cards for stuff for the students? To me it sounds like a teacher who wants to do more for the students.

Would a teacher who cares enough to buy things for the classroom be the kind of person who would snub any child's gift?

The o/p asked a practical question, and these are responses.

My sister does not have the closet space or the desire to store and use all of those candles and mugs, etc. All of which cost more than $5. Most of them are in the $25 and up range.

And we don't live in the days of the Walton's or Little House on the Prairie. Most of those kids are not saving up their pennies and picking out the gifts. Their parents are buying them on QVC for them. Wink

Not all teachers are kind, not all teachers spend their Christmas money on their class room, and not all teachers are well mannered and graceful when they get gifts they don't want and not all kids have parents that have money to shop at QVC, a lot of people just do the best they can, it is degrading to say we don't live in the days of the Waltons, or Little House on the Prairie, when there are people that struggle, and do sacrifice so they can give their teacher a small gift of appreciation.

No longer a bug! ; )

TN halfback1383358439.7472695 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

Recently saw the presentation for Chery's cookie tins & thought what a great idea for teachers, etc. You get 10 tins (4 cookies per tin) for just under $50 with FREE shipping! Item # M42240 I believe is for the 12/9 ship date but there's also a Nov. ship date.

I can't comment on the quality of the cookies, never had them, maybe someone could chime in as to what you think of the cookies.

Jannabelle1383358814.04317996 PostsRegistered 1/13/2008
On 11/1/2013 TN halfback said:

Recently saw the presentation for Chery's cookie tins & thought what a great idea for teachers, etc. You get 10 tins (4 cookies per tin) for just under $50 with FREE shipping! Item # M42240 I believe is for the 12/9 ship date but there's also a Nov. ship date.

I can't comment on the quality of the cookies, never had them, maybe someone could chime in as to what you think of the cookies.

Sounds good to me, but some will say no what if they cannot eat cookies and they get so many tins, please, no more tins,lol.........but I really do think it is a good idea...and a decent bargain, I think.

No longer a bug! ; )

Page 1 of 2