Give Gorgeous
144 Members and 13420 Guests Online

Viewpoints

DISTURBING RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN HSN AND PAYPAL!!!

Started 1367346489.9 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1367429796.687 by chickenbutt

Maybe this has been discussed before but I missed it.... I had a big shock this AM....had previously purchased jewelry boxes on HSN via paypal....thought nothing of it again until I bought some concealer this am.... the order went thru paypal without my choosing it....it happened to be the first choice/called default on my account (which I never put on the account) AND, unlike ALL other vendors I have used paypal on, HSN had an automatic connection....in other words, I was not sent to a paypal page to log in...the order went right to paypal and was filled....I WAS NEVER ASKED FOR MY PASSWORD!!!! It took me quite a while but I finally found the place on paypal to put an end to this automatic relationship between me, paypal and HSN!!!

Just a heads up!!!

I have always believed that preening is one of the ways women have cornered solitude and kept ourselves sane in this society....Author Unknown

Page 1 of 1
rondell1367346645.03713373 PostsRegistered 12/17/2009USA

I always call in my orders. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. It sounds kind of scary to me. If I were you, I'd keep a close eye on things.

sunshine451367346673.9442077 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

hsn puts whatever credit option you used the last time as your default choice. if you dont want to use it it is easy to change to another option when you are placing an order. i have never had a problem using hsn and paypal..... i am glad they offer that option.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Topaz Gem1367346844.8616001 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire

It's just to make it easier for you. If you used Paypal on your last order, it will be your default. Since you entered your password the first time, it's not necessary to do it after that. If that makes you too uncomfortable, then don't use it.

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~ Albert Camus

Shelbelle1367352803.0334795 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I make it a rule to only use PP for my ebay purchases, nothing else.

LipstickDi­va1367353623.18338838 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

SNBC accepts PP as well and whenever I've used it on that site, I am not directed to a different page to enter my PP password.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

MrsSweetie­eBear1367353794.587666 PostsRegistered 4/18/2013Somewhere UNDER the Rainbow
On 4/30/2013 Topaz Gem said:

It's just to make it easier for you. If you used Paypal on your last order, it will be your default. Since you entered your password the first time, it's not necessary to do it after that. If that makes you too uncomfortable, then don't use it.

The same thing happend to me judyakm. I was shocked. And not because it went through paypal. Actually paypal is what I wanted and I think I saw that it was already checked.

Topaz Gem (and others) the part that was disconcerting was that fact that it just went through without having to log into paypal with my password!

I immediately cancelled my order. I also cancelled my entire hsn account. I still wanted the item though so I resigned up and reordered but will not connect to my paypal account with hsn.

It was such a scary feeling to have my password not needed like that!

"My favorite people are dogs."

LipstickDi­va1367354113.70338838 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I understand what you all are saying. Does anyone know why with some sites if you pay with Paypal, you are directed to your Paypal account and have to log-in giving your Paypal password but with other sites like HSN and Shop NBC, you don't?

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

ILikeShade1367355980.4377620 PostsRegistered 4/20/2012
On 4/30/2013 judyakm said:

Maybe this has been discussed before but I missed it.... I had a big shock this AM....had previously purchased jewelry boxes on HSN via paypal....thought nothing of it again until I bought some concealer this am.... the order went thru paypal without my choosing it....it happened to be the first choice/called default on my account (which I never put on the account) AND, unlike ALL other vendors I have used paypal on, HSN had an automatic connection....in other words, I was not sent to a paypal page to log in...the order went right to paypal and was filled....I WAS NEVER ASKED FOR MY PASSWORD!!!! It took me quite a while but I finally found the place on paypal to put an end to this automatic relationship between me, paypal and HSN!!!

Just a heads up!!!

This happened to me a long time ago and I didn't like it at all either because I would have preferred to have had a chance to update my paypal information with a different account but when it doesn't give you the opportunity...well then you just have no choice because as you said they bill you automatically. After that incident, I made sure to take a look at my paypal account before going to any shopping site but sometimes you just see something that you didn't plan on and are worried it might sell out in your size or color so you just place an order. All sites should send you directly to the Paypal website and allow you to login before automatically taking your money. {#emotions_dlg.angry} If enough people complained they would change it. I too put an end to the automatic default but it happened a long time ago and I think can happen again. Also, it was not with HSN that it happened.

Last edited on 4/30/2013

Last edited on 4/30/2013

I can't bring in a lime from the Bahamas. I can't bring in coffee from Hawaii. Ebola? No problem! ----Heidi Harris

kachina6241367356425.82716320 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
Better get used to the idea of Paypal + businesses. I heard on the business news that more and more companies, even Walmart, are considering using it. I frequently change the payment method on HSN. No big deal.

dooBdoo1367357012.1417456 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA

I believe this is a program gradually introduced over the past couple of years, called "Log in with PayPal" (originally called PayPal access). Their idea is to cut down on the need for multiple logins when shopping online, but I don't like it. I'd rather have extra logins when accessing my financial information, but that's just my opinion.

★~
Schadenfreude: finding pleasure in the pain of others.
Everything we think and say and do paves the road on which we walk
and shapes our destiny.
(anon)

judyakm1367368355.5674107 PostsRegistered 12/18/2007Wine County CA
On 4/30/2013 MrsSweetieeBear said:
On 4/30/2013 Topaz Gem said:

The same thing happend to me judyakm. I was shocked. And not because it went through paypal. Actually paypal is what I wanted and I think I saw that it was already checked.

Topaz Gem (and others) the part that was disconcerting was that fact that it just went through without having to log into paypal with my password!

I immediately cancelled my order. I also cancelled my entire hsn account. I still wanted the item though so I resigned up and reordered but will not connect to my paypal account with hsn.

It was such a scary feeling to have my password not needed like that!

Maybe I did not explain it well enough but I was alarmed because my order went through without having to log into paypal with my password!!!

With every other retailer I have used paypal to purchase from, when I selected paypal I WAS routed to paypal and had to enter my password!!!

Thanks for helping me clarify this MissSweetieeBear!!!

Last edited on 4/30/2013

Last edited on 4/30/2013

I have always believed that preening is one of the ways women have cornered solitude and kept ourselves sane in this society....Author Unknown

circles1367405020.67717555 PostsRegistered 5/11/2005N.J.

I don't use PayPal....but the Q. does the same...whatever account I choose to pay....the next time I place an order that account is the default if I don't change it...

Like another poster said...its to make your purchase easier for you.....

shesallthat1367408193.3810246 PostsRegistered 4/4/2005
On 4/30/2013 kachina624 said: Better get used to the idea of Paypal + businesses. I heard on the business news that more and more companies, even Walmart, are considering using it. I frequently change the payment method on HSN. No big deal.

i think so,too!

i know home depot already does. and i saw a sign in dollar general where you can now pay that way,too!

she said: "that's alot of money to spend on a purse!" and i instantly knew we could not be friends.

CaChica1367424410.0135895 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006

Thanks for posting this. It's something to think about. I think they should have you got to PP to log in each time.

clemintine1367425216.3518249 PostsRegistered 11/5/2007C.C.

Used to have to be careful if you did 'bill to ship to' once....the next purchase might go that way as well. I think that's been cleaned up.

I used PayPal ONCE, on Overstock. Went in and paid it online, got the phone call verifying the payment, MONTHS AGO...and it hasn't registered on my PayPal since.

I'll not be using that ever again.

tdog1367427945.732265 PostsRegistered 12/4/2007

Pay Pal wanted my banking info, with my password, when I was applying, and I just cancelled out. I was not comfortable revealing my personal banking info to an entity on the internet. I don't have a Pay Pal credit card, either. What's the advantage of using it over any other payment method?

chickenbutt1367429796.68324331 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I don't shop at hsn but I, too, am seeing this more and more.

I've had the Paypal debit card for a number of years and one benefit of using that (same as the credit card I believe) is that I get a rebate of 15% back onto my Paypal cash balanace. Of course, I always forget to use it, but I don't move that much through Paypal anymore.

Now, I'm not sure if that 15% thing is the same anymore as I might be grandfathered in. I remember a while back when some of it was going away.

I mostly spend at Amazon with my Amazon credit card which gives me 3 points for every dollar spent and that translates to a nice little rebate each month toward amazon purchases. It gives other rebate amounts (like 2% for something and 1% for everything else), but I mostly just use it for amazon spending so I can keep myself reeled in.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Page 1 of 1