Fashion & Accessories Clearance
83 Members and 11676 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Would you be interested in your Genealogy DNA?

Started 1366846900.69 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1366940621.563 by mgm2
<h5 class="textxlrg bold">Discover where you're from.</h5>

Take a look into your cultural roots to discover your own unique genetic ethnicity. Find out where your ancestors came from and see how it compares to what you already know—or may think you know—about your family history. It could take your search in exciting and surprising directions.

It appears there is a kit (about a hundred dollars or so, depending on the site) that will tell you your ancestral dna.

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are it seems.
_______________________________

“Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale”-anonymous

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
just bee1366847156.0614003 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico

And then wonder why your parents lied to you! Wink

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

minkbunny1366847284.35726054 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I heard Mark Levin talking about it while I was on the exercise bike. We have done ancestral dna on horses (have to for insurance purposes). That is always interesting.

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are it seems.
_______________________________

“Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale”-anonymous

just bee1366847469.3314003 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico
On 4/24/2013 minkbunny said:

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I heard Mark Levin talking about it while I was on the exercise bike. We have done ancestral dna on horses (have to for insurance purposes). That is always interesting.

And you can have your mixed breed dog's contributing breeds determined, as well. Or I can just continue to lie to him.

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

NoelSeven1366847540.82315225 PostsRegistered 3/9/2010

I've been wanting to do this ever since I heard it was possible! I've been waiting for enough info on the different companies that do it for you.

As far as I know, I'm Celt which apparently means a high chance of also having a little Viking blood.

Viking emoticon

What have they done to the earth?
What have they done to our fair sister?
The Doors

JaneMarple1366847722.7916816 PostsRegistered 5/23/2011Seek respect, not attention. It lasts longer.
Yes, I'm extremely interested.

Stop fighting over who created the world and fight against the people who are destroying it.

Talidog1366848158.863763 PostsRegistered 8/9/2007Heart of Dixie

A friend and his wife did the DNA search...husband's ancestors back for years and years with roots in several European countries. His wife found out she was related to European royality, which she never forgets to remind him of when he ticks her off. It all sounds like fun, but I really don't care...I guess if I had the extra money...but I don't. K

War Eagle!

------1366848537.11317724 PostsRegistered 2/13/2008

There are two types of DNA testing. Genealogy and disease/health testing. I am very wary of the latter.

I purchased the kit for 23andMe and was overwhelmed by their questionnaire. IMO they were asking too many detailed and personal, intimate questions. I asked for a refund (they took $25 off and refunded the rest). I also read in their disclaimer that although they intend on keeping the information they obtain private they cannot guarantee results will be protected from the prying eyes of your health insurance provider in the future. One of the big DNA testing facilities was recently bought by another company. The new company stopped accepting samples for DNA testing. Imagine the wealth of information they have. Imagine how much the information is worth.

I DID hear Ancestry dot com is great if you want to do genealogy DNA testing.

dooBdoo1366848653.08315098 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA

Yes, I would be interested. A good friend who does genealogy research has been working on my family history. I think it's interesting.Smile


~★~ "You don't have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is.” ~Red Haircrow

NoelSeven1366848693.90715225 PostsRegistered 3/9/2010
On 4/24/2013 ------ said:

There are two types of DNA testing. Genealogy and disease/health testing. I am very wary of the latter.

I purchased the kit for 23andMe and was overwhelmed by their questionnaire. IMO they were asking too many detailed and personal, intimate questions. I asked for a refund (they took $25 off and refunded the rest). I also read in their disclaimer that although they intend on keeping the information they obtain private they cannot guarantee results will be protected from the prying eyes of your health insurance provider in the future. One of the big DNA testing facilities was recently bought by another company. The new company stopped accepting samples for DNA testing. Imagine the wealth of information they have. Imagine how much the information is worth.

I DID hear Ancestry dot com is great if you want to do genealogy DNA testing.

Ancestry dot com does testing? I didn't know that, thanks!

What have they done to the earth?
What have they done to our fair sister?
The Doors

RoughDraft1366848840.2938330 PostsRegistered 5/19/2007

We might all be cousins. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Because I grew up with this naive expectation of people doing right, I get shocked by every little violation.
Dave Eggers

minkbunny1366848868.9826054 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

Yes, Noel, that is the one I heard advertised. Sean Hannity has already got his and Mark Levin gets his back next week. Curious to hear what they have to say.

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are it seems.
_______________________________

“Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale”-anonymous

minkbunny1366848894.6426054 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007
On 4/24/2013 RoughDraft said:

We might all be cousins. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Could I borrow a couple bucks? {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are it seems.
_______________________________

“Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale”-anonymous

------1366849232.83717724 PostsRegistered 2/13/2008
On 4/24/2013 NoelSeven said:
On 4/24/2013 ------ said:

There are two types of DNA testing. Genealogy and disease/health testing. I am very wary of the latter.

I purchased the kit for 23andMe and was overwhelmed by their questionnaire. IMO they were asking too many detailed and personal, intimate questions. I asked for a refund (they took $25 off and refunded the rest). I also read in their disclaimer that although they intend on keeping the information they obtain private they cannot guarantee results will be protected from the prying eyes of your health insurance provider in the future. One of the big DNA testing facilities was recently bought by another company. The new company stopped accepting samples for DNA testing. Imagine the wealth of information they have. Imagine how much the information is worth.

I DID hear Ancestry dot com is great if you want to do genealogy DNA testing.

Ancestry dot com does testing? I didn't know that, thanks!

Yes! If you do it Noel I hope you get wonderful results!

Shorty2U1366849437.57714393 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007PA

I already know and traced my genology pretty far back to Italy and the Netherlands.

(My DH is doing his now also and has gotten quite far). And by the way my husband and I SHARE a great grandparent such as my 7th and his 6th great grandparent which we never knew until we did this AND it kind of grossed me out (even though its so far back it makes no matter).

Anyway- I know that on my moms side I am a great great etc grandaughter of the Revoluntionary and Civil Wars over and over (and there is a book out with my ancestors and family history in).

But if you are talking about DNA as in "health history" I have no interest in knowing health issues as I know the health issues back pretty far. As in good health on dads side, and a lot of bad health on moms. Alot of people on my moms side died young, including her. I have enough to worry about with health issues Ive been through and am going through. So no thanks!..lol.

Just so I know who my ancestors were thats enough! I dont want to know about their health way back when!

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

Hildegarde­ Withers1366853415.08722947 PostsRegistered 7/3/2008

My husband & I had this done several years ago & I'm pretty sure it was through National Geographic. I think I had started a thread or had posted about it, too.


NoelSeven1366855256.90315225 PostsRegistered 3/9/2010
On 4/24/2013 minkbunny said:
On 4/24/2013 RoughDraft said:

We might all be cousins. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Could I borrow a couple bucks? {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

What have they done to the earth?
What have they done to our fair sister?
The Doors

NoelSeven1366855291.5815225 PostsRegistered 3/9/2010
On 4/24/2013 ------ said:
On 4/24/2013 NoelSeven said:
On 4/24/2013 ------ said:

There are two types of DNA testing. Genealogy and disease/health testing. I am very wary of the latter.

I purchased the kit for 23andMe and was overwhelmed by their questionnaire. IMO they were asking too many detailed and personal, intimate questions. I asked for a refund (they took $25 off and refunded the rest). I also read in their disclaimer that although they intend on keeping the information they obtain private they cannot guarantee results will be protected from the prying eyes of your health insurance provider in the future. One of the big DNA testing facilities was recently bought by another company. The new company stopped accepting samples for DNA testing. Imagine the wealth of information they have. Imagine how much the information is worth.

I DID hear Ancestry dot com is great if you want to do genealogy DNA testing.

Ancestry dot com does testing? I didn't know that, thanks!

Yes! If you do it Noel I hope you get wonderful results!


Thanks! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

What have they done to the earth?
What have they done to our fair sister?
The Doors

Lila Belle1366855463.269122 PostsRegistered 1/24/2013

My family has done it.

Love thy neighbor means no exceptions.


"You don't need people’s opinion on a fact. You might as well have a poll asking: ‘Which number is bigger, 15 or 5?’ or ‘Do owls exist?’ or ‘Are there hats?'" John Oliver

KatherineW1366855484.53328130 PostsRegistered 3/16/2009Alabamian by Birth; Southern By The Grace of God
On 4/24/2013 NoelSeven said:
On 4/24/2013 ------ said:
On 4/24/2013 NoelSeven said:
On 4/24/2013 ------ said:

There are two types of DNA testing. Genealogy and disease/health testing. I am very wary of the latter.

I purchased the kit for 23andMe and was overwhelmed by their questionnaire. IMO they were asking too many detailed and personal, intimate questions. I asked for a refund (they took $25 off and refunded the rest). I also read in their disclaimer that although they intend on keeping the information they obtain private they cannot guarantee results will be protected from the prying eyes of your health insurance provider in the future. One of the big DNA testing facilities was recently bought by another company. The new company stopped accepting samples for DNA testing. Imagine the wealth of information they have. Imagine how much the information is worth.

I DID hear Ancestry dot com is great if you want to do genealogy DNA testing.

Ancestry dot com does testing? I didn't know that, thanks!

Yes! If you do it Noel I hope you get wonderful results!


Thanks! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

We might be related!!! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}




Hildegarde­ Withers1366855513.31322947 PostsRegistered 7/3/2008
On 4/24/2013 minkbunny said:
On 4/24/2013 RoughDraft said:

We might all be cousins. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Could I borrow a couple bucks? {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

Ha!


tansy1366855750.95325727 PostsRegistered 4/19/2005
One of my British cousins is really into it and sends me updates but I'm just not that interested. I could see my husband researching his family a bit more once he's retired.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~~ Mark Twain

dmod nj1366855856.10321382 PostsRegistered 10/4/2011Jersey
On 4/24/2013 RoughDraft said:

We might all be cousins. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

{#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

.....when you’ve worked hard, and done well, and walked through that doorway of opportunity…you do not slam it shut behind you…you reach back, and you give other folks the same chances that helped you succeed.

KatherineW1366855884.81728130 PostsRegistered 3/16/2009Alabamian by Birth; Southern By The Grace of God

I remember how disappointed Oprah was in hers!!!!




JaneMarple1366856005.98716816 PostsRegistered 5/23/2011Seek respect, not attention. It lasts longer.
On 4/24/2013 dmod nj said:
On 4/24/2013 RoughDraft said:

We might all be cousins. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

{#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Stop fighting over who created the world and fight against the people who are destroying it.

RoughDraft13668562118330 PostsRegistered 5/19/2007
On 4/24/2013 NoelSeven said:
On 4/24/2013 minkbunny said:
On 4/24/2013 RoughDraft said:

We might all be cousins. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Could I borrow a couple bucks? {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Can you imagine family reunions?

Because I grew up with this naive expectation of people doing right, I get shocked by every little violation.
Dave Eggers

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next