Early Access
153 Members and 13023 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Is canned corned beef hash the same as corned beef?

Started 1363489192.89 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1363619458.46 by Ladybug724

I'm just wondering because I've always bought and loved corned beef hash from the can. You know, it looks like minced up red beef with little cubes of potatoes in it, and you fry it on the stove top. Is that the same as corned beef? And why does everyone always mention corned beef and cabage around St. Patrick's Day?

Your tag line here

Page 1 of 2
LucyGoose1363489916.5833290 PostsRegistered 4/19/2012USA

Somebody acknowledge that I'm here.

Your tag line here

dashing do­xie1363490032.17501 PostsRegistered 1/14/2013

No not the same. The can is good for hash. I like corn beef and cabbage better the next day sauteed in EVOO, with onion.

LucyGoose1363490166.123290 PostsRegistered 4/19/2012USA

It all just sounds so tasty right now.

Your tag line here

Lilith_1363490201.374722 PostsRegistered 3/10/2011
On 3/16/2013 LucyGoose said:

Somebody acknowledge that I'm here.


Did somebody say something? I don't see anyone{#emotions_dlg.laugh}Wink

I wouldn't touch corned beef so I can't help you. Why is it called "corned beef" anyway?

Hysteria,
Denial of Reality,
Thought Control,
Name Calling,
Projection of Guilt

ShowMe1363490283.77342587 PostsRegistered 9/6/2010Missouri
On 3/16/2013 LucyGoose said:

Somebody acknowledge that I'm here.

You need to give us a chance to respond. Patience is a virtue.

Corned beef and cabbage are good luck for the Irish on St. Patrick's Day. Not only is it good tasting, but it is good for you. I always like to put the red potatoes in with mine. Make corn bread to go with it......It is an excellent meal.

About the canned corned beef.....I would imagine it is like a canned ham.....which I don't really care for or ever buy to fix. If you like to make the hash, guess it would be good for that. But you would have a pretty good amount of it for hash.

Formerly Fluffy329........

Proud to be from the St. Louis area and LOVE THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS!
Go Cardinals

Happy Shopping and Don't Spend All Your Money in One Place!!!!!

ShowMe1363490422.2242587 PostsRegistered 9/6/2010Missouri
On 3/16/2013 dashing doxie said:

No not the same. The can is good for hash. I like corn beef and cabbage better the next day sauteed in EVOO, with onion.

I like to put onion in with mine when I first make it. Have also been known to add some of those baby carrots too.....makes a very colorful and tasty dinner. Everything in one pot then to a serving bowl. Delicious.

Formerly Fluffy329........

Proud to be from the St. Louis area and LOVE THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS!
Go Cardinals

Happy Shopping and Don't Spend All Your Money in One Place!!!!!

LucyGoose1363490672.873290 PostsRegistered 4/19/2012USA

Thanks. I've got a can of corned beef hash. What do you do with it besides cook it? ...... Oh!!! Like camp stew! Okay, now I get it.

Darn, ya'lls! I'm getting hungry!

Your tag line here

dashing do­xie1363490932.53501 PostsRegistered 1/14/2013
On 3/16/2013 ShowMe said:
On 3/16/2013 dashing doxie said:

No not the same. The can is good for hash. I like corn beef and cabbage better the next day sauteed in EVOO, with onion.

I like to put onion in with mine when I first make it. Have also been known to add some of those baby carrots too.....makes a very colorful and tasty dinner. Everything in one pot then to a serving bowl. Delicious.

Yes carrots and potato. I dice everything and saute it all in EVOO. I like it better than the boiled dinner.

Yaffingale 1363490977.31119 PostsRegistered 2/24/2013

It's good if you like dog food.

The single biggest problem communicating is the illusion it has taken place.

ROMARY1363492071.03716202 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

Hey, I think I'll buy a couple of cans....haven't had it in awhile.....I'm the one who likes Spam, so I'll be happy with corned beef hash.

Yellow Rose

Sushismom1363494335.555205 PostsRegistered 10/21/2004

Corned beef hash is corned beef that's been diced and mixed with other ingredients. It's not the same as corned beef.

The name "corned beef" comes from the Old English term for particles or grains (such as salt).

Clover291363494428.30310494 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008

The canned stuff is what the Irish in Ireland know as corned beef. The American version, cooked with cabbage, is a peculiarly American tradition, unheard of in Ireland itself.

kachina6241363494800.6215728 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
Corned beef is a beef brisket treated with "corns" of salt and flavored spices which preserve it, or at least that was the idea in olden days before refrigeration. It looks like a roast and is cooked using moist heat to tenderize it since brisket can be tough. Traditionally served with cabbage, potatoes and carrots. I love it.

57babe1363496359.1278638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

Here's a little video on how to make corned beef and cabbage in a slow cooker!

http://allrecipes.com/video/2964/slow-cooker-corned-beef-and-cabbage/detail.aspx?prop24=RR_RelatedVideo

(I don't use the beer -- only water.)

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Take good care. :)

Last edited on 3/16/2013

Last edited on 3/16/2013


RedTop1363532170.4834458 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010

My husband loves corned beef hash with eggs for breakfast. I used to love the canned corn beef, but notice it no longer tastes the same. This seemed to change after the last big recall, when it disappeared off store shelves for many months. The canned product is now more solid like Spam, when it is sliced, and it doesn't "flake" like it used to. Apparently, the canning and processing has changed in an effort to reduce the number of recalls for a tainted product, but in doing so, the overall taste of the corned beef is so different, I don't want it anymore. The canned corned beef available in this area was from Argentina.

Lotus~1363532524.78335472 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
On 3/16/2013 LucyGoose said:

Somebody acknowledge that I'm here.

This thread is a joke, right?

"After me....you come first."~unknown~
My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3
RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

croemer1363532634.78374578 PostsRegistered 1/29/2009

Umm...no comparison.

"Well Bless Your Pea Pickin' Heart."

Ladybug7241363532929.0234723 PostsRegistered 11/13/2007

I love love love canned corned beef hash! I think the brand is Mary's Kitchen. My husband and I were just talking about this, and how I haven't had it in a long time since it is loaded with fat, but sometimes ya just gotta!

Pqfan1363533967.6676086 PostsRegistered 2/15/2006

I used to eat canned corned beef years ago when my grandparents were alive.

They had regular meat but they also had a supply of every kind of meat in a can that you can imagine!{#emotions_dlg.blink}

vienna sausages,canned devil ham?,canned corned beef,spam

It was all very strange to me but it is a fond memory eating all that stuff at their house and they would eat it with Matzo crackers.

I never knew that white stuff in corned beef hash is potatos!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Last edited on 3/17/2013

Last edited on 3/17/2013

LucyGoose1363534853.583290 PostsRegistered 4/19/2012USA
On 3/17/2013 Pqfan said:

I used to eat canned corned beef years ago when my grandparents were alive.

They had regular meat but they also had a supply of every kind of meat in a can that you can imagine!{#emotions_dlg.blink}

vienna sausages,canned devil ham?,canned corned beef,spam

It was all very strange to me but it is a fond memory eating all that stuff at their house and they would eat it with Matzo crackers.

I never knew that white stuff in corned beef hash is potatos!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Last edited on 3/17/2013


Really I don't know what it is. I just called it potatoes because that's what I always thought it was. It could very well be clumps of fat. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Your tag line here

Juju Squee­zy1363535191.091993 PostsRegistered 9/4/2012

Canned Corned beef and Canned Corned Beef Hash can be tasty and both foreign to a real Corned Beef Brisket which is also very tasty in a totally different way.

Pqfan1363535907.6636086 PostsRegistered 2/15/2006
On 3/17/2013 LucyGoose said:
On 3/17/2013 Pqfan said:

I used to eat canned corned beef years ago when my grandparents were alive.

They had regular meat but they also had a supply of every kind of meat in a can that you can imagine!{#emotions_dlg.blink}

vienna sausages,canned devil ham?,canned corned beef,spam

It was all very strange to me but it is a fond memory eating all that stuff at their house and they would eat it with Matzo crackers.

I never knew that white stuff in corned beef hash is potatos!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Last edited on 3/17/2013


Really I don't know what it is. I just called it potatoes because that's what I always thought it was. It could very well be clumps of fat. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Hi LucyGoose! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Well whatever it was I liked it and I ate it all up!{#emotions_dlg.lol}


LucyGoose1363536242.2573290 PostsRegistered 4/19/2012USA

Hi Pqfan Smile

Your tag line here

Local1363541814.3031512 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006

They ARE potatoes in the canned corned beef hash. Redtop, I attribute the "different" taste to noticing there is a larger ratio of potatoes to the beef recently making it starchier. Corned beef hash is basically a diner breakfast food served with fried eggs. You can make hash with corned beef brisket adding your own potatoes, onions, etc.

Ladybug7241363542391.5974723 PostsRegistered 11/13/2007

Yeah the little white cubes are potatoes and I never knew that either when I was a kid

Page 1 of 2