Top Rated on Easy Pay
65 Members and 10758 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Free Courses at Great Universities etc. - Coursera.com ~~

Started 1362583452.47 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1362688286.293 by Qwackertoo
replies

Just learned this from a school teacher, who had graduated several years ago. She found this and decided to take various courses, online, at her own pace, and it is free of charge. There are many different courses, including languages. So I put the addy in the subject line.

Have fun.

Magenta

Page 1 of 1
Qwackertoo1362614036.91710409 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006

My father in law sent the link to me, the other inlaws, his kids, don't remember if all the grandkids were included on the email or not . . . yep included all grandkids . . . said 325 courses . . . said he was going to checkout some of the software/computer science and such classes for himself but I'm sure they are geared toward far below his premiere status as a programmer beyond many half his age. haha At least it keeps him busy in his retirement.

Vamp1362617294.67311319 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007

Thank you for sharing! What a wonderful resource.

Lila Belle1362622121.3279522 PostsRegistered 1/24/2013

Thanks, Magenta.

You always have such interesting threads and responses.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Love thy neighbor means no exceptions.

"You don't need people’s opinion on a fact. You might as well have a poll asking: ‘Which number is bigger, 15 or 5?’ or ‘Do owls exist?’ or ‘Are there hats?'" John Oliver

Magenta1362686577.89583 PostsRegistered 11/4/2004washington, d.c.

hi ladies,

i thought when looking through all the listings of classes, there is almost something for everybody including women history classes. I think for all of us that would be a better choice than sitting at a bulletin board, and that includes myself at times. lol.

i think two special things about this website, 1) you can study on-line whenever you care too and 2) it is free of charge, so why wouldn't we want to improve ourselves?

magenta

Last edited on 3/7/2013

Last edited on 3/7/2013

magicmoodz1362687848.1435037 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008

This coursework is not legal in the state of Minnesota. Rebel that I am, I plan on taking several!

I buy expensive suits. They just look cheap on me.
~ Warren Buffett ~

onewhiteSp­arrow1362688285.1739947 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011

Magenta, Thanks for posting this useful information some might use or tell others.

Caused me to return to the time I was going to college....I was even one of their Senators for the college.

I had been going there for years...and for some reason that one year...after I paid for all those expensive books...which was out of line I always thought.....I counted the number of books I was going to reading that semester=usually half of a year.....

I thought how silly all that was for getting information. I read that amount of books in one month...every month...I always had 2-3 books I was reading at the same time. And I got them free at the different Libraries in different towns. I never read charming books, but higher intelligent information books. I wanted information.

I often think all levels of education needs to revamped and change. They are not taught to think...but to memorize books. What happens with the human race is we keep staying at the same level of thoughts.

Those that stepped outside of the box..left the education of memorizing ideas.....they are the inventors of new inventions...so it seems. Or started large companies that supplied jobs for the masses.

No need to make a comment....I was just thinking. Smile

Last edited on 3/7/2013

Last edited on 3/7/2013

"From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul. That tale will move them & drive them & who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words."

Qwackertoo1362688286.29310409 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006
On 3/7/2013 Magenta said:

hi ladies,

i thought when looking through all the listings of classes, there is almost something for everybody including women history classes. I think for all of us that would be a better choice than sitting at a bulletin board, and that includes myself at times. lol.

i think two special things about this website, 1) you can study on-line whenever you care too and 2) it is free of charge, so why wouldn't we want to improve ourselves?

magenta

Last edited on 3/7/2013

In addition to, another wonderful resource, I shared the website of Khan Academy with my daughter who is a freshman in chemical engineering. With some of her honors chemistry, physics, and calculus profs at that level . . . sometimes the accent is a little difficult to understand, so to see & hear certain portions of chapters over again before exams and she told me it has helped. They have thousands of lessons on videos. I think over 3500. For chemistry, organic chemistry, calculus, trig, physics, quantitative equations . . . some are below her level for honors chemistry BUT she is finding some of the calculus ones quite helpful . . . some are 6-7 minutes others 25-30 minutes. I think they will also help my 10th grade son, probably more than daughter as she progresses to the really difficult and higher level courses . . . but who knows by then they could add more . . . but some currently venture into 3rd and 4th semester college level calculus so for her that will be nice . . . lower level for his prep work for the ACT and his upcoming AP classes in junior and senior year, he's in pre-AP now.

AND I plan to send them a donation and IF both kids continue using and benefiting I will send additional donations. They are currently supported by Bill & Melinda Gates along with others but I'll send my "token" in comparison donation. :)

p.s. forgot to add it is FREE to register. Registering helps you keep track of your progress. Heck I should probably use them myself. :)

Last edited on 3/7/2013

Last edited on 3/7/2013

Page 1 of 1