Shoes & Handbags Offers
160 Members and 11014 Guests Online

Viewpoints

I wonder how many HGTV Dream House winners are actually living in their houses?

Started 1359311240.06 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1359391844.333 by i like celery

I'm watching HGTV right not (ice storm outside, so nothing better to do) and they were advertising the new HGTV Dream Home........made me wonder about how many winners are actually living in their homes or did they have to sell them??? I know I probably wouldn't be able to keep it if I was a winner.

Page 1 of 1
glb6131359313079.5410909 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I read the article in the link. What a bunch of idiots.

lulu21359313412.89320988 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

These big ticket item contests seldom end well. Without selling the prize(s), very few winners can afford the taxes. I've read many of the families on that home makeover show end up losing the house or end up selling at a loss.

kdgn1359313526.1613054 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Huh, I never knew that HGTV would buy it back from the winner. Interesting.

Buck-i-Nana1359313822.827713 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007South West Ohio

The guy in the article was quite simply AN IDIOT! Who in their right mind thinks they can live happily ever after on $250,000, let alone do so dragging along everything from their past added on to everything they won?

Depending on the location of the property, people in my position may want to keep it or sell it. My income wouldn't stop with the move. I would definitely sell my current property, and given the size of the HGTV homes, I would probably want some family members to move in with me, IF they could find employment in that area.

Enjoying my retirement 1 cup of coffee at a time.

NOT invisible anymore, so get over it! I'm not gonna disappear :)

Photo Don­na1359316311.74714016 PostsRegistered 12/26/2005walking the dogs

The winner of the local 2012 Green Home put it on the market -- it just sold a few weeks ago.

every 6 seconds a pet dies in a shelter -- adopt

AuntG1359317995.7636140 PostsRegistered 1/31/2009Wisconsin

Very few people can just change locations considering that they might have to quit jobs they have had for 20 or more years.

Bytheshore1359318477.46651 PostsRegistered 5/16/2011
On 1/27/2013 AuntG said:

Very few people can just change locations considering that they might have to quit jobs they have had for 20 or more years.

So true. I dont think people realize how winning really can impact their lives.

Free2be1359326941.06310478 PostsRegistered 6/7/2006

I'd live in it for a year just for the pleasure and experience, then consider selling. My husband deserves a year off but could work elsewhere if he would be willing to give it a shot.

"Beware the irrational, however seductive." ~ Christopher Hitchens

FUTURE1359328800.88711539 PostsRegistered 5/18/2008
I'd sell mine in a heartbeat.

Burnsite1359328938.2837332 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007

The only one I ever really lusted after was the Green Home in Plymouth, Mass, which had a little tower at the top for a small office. It was really only a one-bedroom house, so I thought I might be able to live there without changing my lifestyle much. Then I found out what the homeowner's fees were for that development. I did enter that contest every day, but would have had to sell it right away and then use some portion of the remaining sale money to buy a less complicated single-family house where the carrying costs would be moderate.

There really isn't anything "green" about an overdecorated space--to me, most of these spaces have way too much random stuff on the walls and tables. But there was something about the modesty of that house; it did really have some charm to it. I liked the red quartz kitchen countertop and the rain-barrel in the Plymouth house.

The house near Charleston is also among the nicest of the "Dream Home" selections--pretty colors and not too "themed," though with some nice local art. I like that house, too. And I love Charleston (who doesn't?). But I could never afford to live in it and I probably wouldn't like the snooty, golf-y neighbors.

Last edited on 1/27/2013

Last edited on 1/27/2013

colliemom31359329047.415837 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

I do recall that one was put on the market. They're all gorgeous.

BlueSkies11359329375.94498 PostsRegistered 10/10/2010enjoying blue skies :)
On 1/27/2013 lulu2 said:

These big ticket item contests seldom end well. Without selling the prize(s), very few winners can afford the taxes. I've read many of the families on that home makeover show end up losing the house or end up selling at a loss.

I agree lulu2.

It's the same on shows like "Price is Right" and "Let's Make a Deal".

I read a long time ago that the winners often forego the prizes because

they can't afford the taxes.

It's still me....been here since Feb 2005

EmmaBunting1359333139.6976012 PostsRegistered 1/19/2013
On 1/27/2013 Burnsite said:

The only one I ever really lusted after was the Green Home in Plymouth, Mass, which had a little tower at the top for a small office. It was really only a one-bedroom house, so I thought I might be able to live there without changing my lifestyle much. Then I found out what the homeowner's fees were for that development. I did enter that contest every day, but would have had to sell it right away and then use some portion of the remaining sale money to buy a less complicated single-family house where the carrying costs would be moderate.

There really isn't anything "green" about an overdecorated space--to me, most of these spaces have way too much random stuff on the walls and tables. But there was something about the modesty of that house; it did really have some charm to it. I liked the red quartz kitchen countertop and the rain-barrel in the Plymouth house.

The house near Charleston is also among the nicest of the "Dream Home" selections--pretty colors and not too "themed," though with some nice local art. I like that house, too. And I love Charleston (who doesn't?). But I could never afford to live in it and I probably wouldn't like the snooty, golf-y neighbors.

Last edited on 1/27/2013

Burnsite....I actually toured that particular house. It wasn't nearly as nice in person as it was in all the photos. It was pretty small and not nearly as nice as many of the luxury homes. Of course....a lot of it was reclaimed materials, etc., if I remember correctly.

Oh! And the lot was really tiny with many other houses really close by! The way they photographed it you couldn't tell that part. All in all...I was not impressed.

Last edited on 1/27/2013

Last edited on 1/27/2013

Rainbows a­nd Roses1359334583.44718545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

I won't even enter..........I can't afford it and it may not sell.........fast enough. I would like to win some prizes though.

"Crying is for plain women, Pretty women go shopping." Oscar Wilde

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

lolakimono1359336291.5613028 PostsRegistered 3/29/2012

It's just like "Extreme Makeover Home Edition". Many people who get their house "fixed", modified, or updated cannot afford the maintenance: utilities, taxes, upkeep, etc. They end up having to sell (especially when the house has doubled in size, like on some episodes).

BeanCounte­r171359372594.9775130 PostsRegistered 8/21/2006Virginia
On 1/27/2013 lolakimono said:

It's just like "Extreme Makeover Home Edition". Many people who get their house "fixed", modified, or updated cannot afford the maintenance: utilities, taxes, upkeep, etc. They end up having to sell (especially when the house has doubled in size, like on some episodes).

This was my thought also. Many of those receiving help in the beginning shows were those down on their luck with little money many due to medical issues, etc) When their homes were demolished and a new one put up, they still had the same issues and couldn't afford the new house. Many articles about those that did a refinance to take money out of the new house and then . . . ended up in foreclosure.

cindychats1359389151.95717559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008
On 1/28/2013 BeanCounter17 said:
On 1/27/2013 lolakimono said:

This was my thought also. Many of those receiving help in the beginning shows were those down on their luck with little money many due to medical issues, etc) When their homes were demolished and a new one put up, they still had the same issues and couldn't afford the new house. Many articles about those that did a refinance to take money out of the new house and then . . . ended up in foreclosure.

My husband often mentioned those things when we watched the makeover shows. Sometimes they would raise money to pay of the foreclosures for the people. But what about the big utility bills after they put in all those really nice appliances and all those nice rooms and tvs in the children's rooms and computers. That runs up the electric bill. Someone who is struggling financially and not paying the mortgage is having trouble paying utilities too and going to have trouble with higher bills. Yep and taxes too, I suppose. I don't know how much that is affected.

Burnsite1359389567.1037332 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007

Emma, That's interesting about the small size of the Plymouth house, but I like a small house. The neighbors did seem close, but I am used to that, too. :) Fortunately, I am on great terms with the neighbors (all but one, and just when he's drinking). Anyhow, there's not a lot of privacy where I live.

cindy, I've never renovated my kitchen stove b/c I found I would have to rewire the whole house to accomodate today's models. The cycles are different though the voltage is the same. Rewire the house and take out cabinets. Don't really want to do either, so the plan if I get a tax refund is to refurbish the old stove with new burners, etc. I have discovered that GE will do this and that the old coil burners are still in stock. "New" is seldom cheaper--once in a while, though.

I have new water-saving toilets in the house, and my water bill has gone down by 1/3.

circles1359391374.9517333 PostsRegistered 5/11/2005N.J.

Obviously that person didn't think clearly when it came to spending...

I found it interesting that HGTV will buy the house back from you...thats nice...

i like cel­ery1359391844.265100 PostsRegistered 6/23/2010

I read the CNN Money article (via one of the links included in the main article) which mentioned the family found out they didn't own the land the house was built on, but instead had a 30 year lease on the land. The town didn't allow any new businesses in the lake area without full ownership of land, so because of the 30 year lease, they couldn't start any business in the home or on the property to help them afford living there.

The article also mentioned that in the ten years HGTV has had the contests, this family was the only winner to choose to live in their Dream Home.

Life is beauty full.

Page 1 of 1