Give Gorgeous
26 Members and 11225 Guests Online

Viewpoints

How Long Will It Be Before Someone Gets Hurt?

Started 1357930813.57 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1358011599.407 by lucyfreedom

I can see so many ways this could have ended tragically:

A North Texas father’s attempt to test the safety response of his child’s school had an unintended consequence—for the father. After walking into the school saying he was a gunman, the unarmed Ron Miller has been charged with making "terroristic threats" at Celina Elementary School.

According to Celina school district superintendent Donny O'Dell, Miller approached a greeter at the school and told her: “I am a gunman. My target is inside of the building. I'm going in the building. You stop me." Added O’Dell to local news station WFAA: “They recognized, at that point, that he did not have a weapon and they were able to go ahead and tell him to leave."

The school’s principal chose not to call 911, instead dialing a nonemergency number, because the 44-year-old Miller, a paramedic, was immediately recognized as a parent and school volunteer.

After Miller left, there was no lockdown and no threat to kids’ safety, according to O’Dell, who also admitted that they did find some problems with their safety response. For one, the greeter had no radio to contact the police.

Said O’Dell, “We found some glitches … some things we need to work on. Of course, none of this ever takes place when you expect it to, so human response to certain situations is not always perfect because we're not perfect."

Some parents felt that the school should have treated the incident more seriously, especially in the wake of the recent tragic shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. A Celina parent, Abby Hall, told the local station, "The steps should have been taken and it should have been my choice on whether or not I picked my kid up early.”

Meanwhile, Miller, who was arrested on Wednesday night after being charged with making terroristic threats—a third-degree felony—was released on $75,000 bail.

We all get better at behaviors we practice, good or bad.

Page 1 of 1
FLBB1357931716.4337251 PostsRegistered 5/23/2008

It's easier to buy a weapon than it is a car. When will Mr and Mrs Gunslinger realize that that the government has no intention of taking their weapons or violating their Second Amendment rights.

The only people who would be against background checks are people with mental disorders and/or criminals.

One word - chocolate

KittyLouWho1357931879.15726542 PostsRegistered 1/11/2006

I heard a teacher on the news a few nights ago, one who thinks that teachers should be able to have concealed weapons in their classrooms AND that she didn't think that parents necessarily had a right to know about it.

Sounds like potential gasoline on a fire to me. And your post, marp, only makes this scenario scarier.

"You make me feel like I've been locked out of heaven, for too long, for too long"
Bruno Mars

missyw11357932029.6432446 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

He ruined his career to do something this stupid and embarassing to his (children & wife)?

Marp21357932090.0174045 PostsRegistered 1/31/2012Western NC

I think people wanting to test their school's security should keep in mind that all measures taken will not and should not be publicized and it is not their job to spontaneously test the system.

He is fortunate that he was recognized and that no one was armed and panicked by his actions and that 911 was not immediately called as soon as he uttered the words "I am a gunman." Not only could he have been injured or killed by a SWAT response team but the kids would have been traumatized.

We all get better at behaviors we practice, good or bad.

terrier31357932188.1428126 PostsRegistered 7/13/2007

This guy has issues.

Every incident of this type is different, but I never heard of a real gunman declaring who he was and asking to be let in.

We need to leave security to the professionals.

LipstickDi­va1357932248.5938816 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I don't understand what the first response has to do with the OP's article at all?

I think the father was a real idiot. Enough said.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

Lion1357932314.29710278 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Wow...a *paramedic* thought that was OK to do at his kid's school? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"May no one use religion as a pretext for actions against human dignity..."
- Pope Francis Sept. 21, 2014

KittyLouWho1357932744.53326542 PostsRegistered 1/11/2006

Scary to think how many other parents think they know better and will pull the same kind of stunt.

"You make me feel like I've been locked out of heaven, for too long, for too long"
Bruno Mars

scotttie1357933690.44338745 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

What a moron

"Oh wad some power the giftie gie us To see oursel's as others see us!
--Robert Burns

feline fine1357975941.573178 PostsRegistered 9/4/2012where Phillies fans rule

Stupid. And now has a felony charge on his record. Plus, he didn't really think of how it would affect his loved ones.

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~ Albert Einstein

adelle381357988846.2878984 PostsRegistered 12/22/2007

"The school’s principal chose not to call 911, instead dialing a nonemergency number, because the 44-year-old Miller, a paramedic, was immediately recognized as a parent and school volunteer."

If they think being a "parent and school volunteer" means someone is not a threat, they need to think again. They should have called 911.

"Fear always springs from ignorance."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

guatmum1358010537.252877 PostsRegistered 10/24/2008

They definitely should have called the emergency line (my school has a dedicated line for that reason). I had a child get distracted on his way back from the bathroom, I called the office to ask them to page him back to my room, and a full missing person procedure was initiated immediately - it's our district's policy. If that guy had come to my school, he would have faced a SWAT team in a few moments and, considering the fact that so many in our country now believe it's best to shoot the shooter BEFORE he shoots someone else, he might have ended up dead. Really poor judgment and egotistical behavior on his part. He deserves whatever the consequences are.

"Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

lucyfreedom1358011599.407470 PostsRegistered 11/8/2012

It is all about mental illness, NOT guns...

Page 1 of 1