Holidays at Home
25 Members and 10510 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Do You Think That Male Cats Are "More Affectionate" Than Females?

Started 1357925607.24 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1358113856.203 by KathyPet

What about your own cats or those you've known? Have you found this to be true? Have the males in your household ever preferred males to females?

DH and I were picking up things yesterday at Petco for our star boarder{#emotions_dlg.mellow} and stopped to look at the cats (they're brought in for adoption by animal welfare agencies). I was fussing over one of them, "Bosco," and an onlooker said to me, "Males are more affectionate." I get that a lot.

Our current cat is the only male we've had. Our other cats were all female, but it just worked out that way--there was no particular reason why we went with females. Same thing for the cats I grew up with. I wouldn't exactly call any of the female cats "affectionate," though they weren't unfriendly and some had what I'd call a "sweet" disposition. They pretty much minded their own business and came around us when they needed something, but were known to beg for attention, too. Out little guy now is affectionate in his own way. He doesn't jump in our laps much, but I've noticed that he often runs around the house following us. Other times, he's content to peer out the window by himself.

As far as preference for one over the other, none of the males in our family or those I've known ever expressed a preference for male cats over females--same thing with DH, who had both growing up.

In other words, cats have their own personalities{#emotions_dlg.wub}. But I'm not buying into that generalization.

__
Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing, right in your ear.
--Dave Barry

Page 1 of 2
moonmagnet1357925777.4531199 PostsRegistered 3/14/2008

My male cat likes to visit and sleep on our bed. My female cat does her own thing. My female cat goes outside and my male cate stays inside, so this could have something to do with it.

Marp21357925971.733898 PostsRegistered 1/31/2012Western NC

I don't know about the more affectionate part but the two females I've had were/are very affectionate but so were/are my males. However, I can say unequivocally that the females I've had were/are more of a pain in various body parts and much more demanding than the males. I love them all regardless. They are all different personalities.

Last edited on 1/11/2013

Last edited on 1/11/2013

If you don't take the bait you won't get caught.

hennypenny1357926045.8836042 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I too think that they have their own personalities. I do think that females are a bit more cautious than males, as they need to protect their young. The males are generally more adventurous.

When picking a cat or kitty we go with our guts. ----BUT!----most of the time the kitties pick us. they wander in as strays or friends know this is a kitty house and willl beg us to take in ones they have found.

nekodaisy1357926371.51762 PostsRegistered 11/13/2007Georgia

I have had 2 females and no males. My first female was a lover. She layed all over you and loved to curl up against you at night while you were sleeping. The one we have now is a nut. She is not a lap cat and only wants attention on her own terms but she more playful and silly.

MaryKateDa­naher1357926477.421611 PostsRegistered 11/15/2012Wrigley Field Chick

I have a boy!

He is the KING!

Be bestows affection as any King, in small doses but with exceptional grace!

His name is Bubba...lol {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Arguing with a fool only proves there are two! But often you get answers!
~Eamus Catuli~

rustynail11357926534.5071664 PostsRegistered 12/14/2010East Central Illinois

I am a male and have only co-existed with two Calico cats, which 99% of the time are female. The first one was soo affectionate, and my current one Chloe won't leave my side.

That said, an outdoor stray "adopted" me last year, showed up at my door in Jan 2012 skin and bones. Because "it" had claws and my Chloe didn't (I adopted her through Petsmart and she was already declawed, so pls don't hate on me, LOL) I couldn't let "it" in. Through a visit to the vet to check "it" out, vaccinations, micochipping etc. I was told it was a male already fixed. Somebody dumped him. He is so affectionate to me when I put his food out twice a day and thanks me for the outdoor heated cathouse I bought from Amazon. He is now a healthy weight. Too healthy in fact, he can only eat canned food because of many missing teeth.

I guess my point is that it depends on the cat. I wouldn't hesitate to get a male cat in the future based on this male gray tabby that showed up last year.

"The morning breeze has secrets to tell you, don't go back to sleep." - Rumi

Peaches Mc­Phee1357926613.931620 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Interesting. I am a big cat fan, as is my family, and have known multiple cats over my life. I've never found this to be true. Depends on kitty's individual personality, not gender, in my experience. Love them all!

Pro-aging.

Peaches Mc­Phee1357926615.7771620 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Interesting. I am a big cat fan, as is my family, and have known multiple cats over my life. I've never found this to be true. Depends on kitty's individual personality, not gender, in my experience. Love them all!

Pro-aging.

MaryKateDa­naher1357926742.2331611 PostsRegistered 11/15/2012Wrigley Field Chick

Rusty, I'll bet that cat loves more than catnip!!!
And I just loved your post! <3

~Eamus Catuli~

Me And My ­Shadow1357926828.6831087 PostsRegistered 1/8/2009

I was raised in a family of animal lovers....we had mostly cats....and my home has never been without one, two or three.....My experience has been that they all have their own distinct personalities, just like people....and I have found no distinction between one gender being more affectionate than the other....My female cat, Shadow, is probably the most affectionate cat I have ever had.....very attached.....very bonded....maybe a little too much actually...as she follows me everywhere I go....literally.....Even when it appears that she is sleeping, I can walk into another room and, within seconds, she will be right there with me....I can't even take a shower without her coming into the bathroom....sitting up on the vanity....and washing herself also...so I guess you could say that we take showers together also....LOL....When I have gone away for a weekend, my husband told me that she suffers from separation anxiety...cries..and doesn't eat as well...My husband does very well!.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}....It does concern me when we go on vacations.

Hence, my nic....Me And My Shadow. Smile

Last edited on 1/11/2013

Last edited on 1/11/2013

rustynail11357926962.2331664 PostsRegistered 12/14/2010East Central Illinois

He's a sweetheart MaryKate. My attempts at trying to get the two to be friends failed miserably last summer when I tried to introduce them gradually. He seems perfectly content outside in his warm cathouse at night, and like I said, he looks healthy now and is playful.

"The morning breeze has secrets to tell you, don't go back to sleep." - Rumi

Moonlady1357927027.45314475 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Upstate NY
On 1/11/2013 Me And My Shadow said:

I was raised in a family of animal lovers....we had mostly cats....and my home has never been without one, two or three.....My experience has been that they all have their own distinct personalities, just like people....and I have found no distinction between one gender being more affectionate than the other....My female cat, Shadow, is probably the most affectionate cat I have ever had.....very attached.....very bonded....maybe a little too much actually...as she follows me everywhere I go....literally.....Even when it appears that she is sleeping, I can walk into another room and, within seconds, she will be right there with me....I can't even take a shower without her coming into the bathroom....sitting up on the vanity....and washing herself also...so I guess you could say that we take showers together also....LOL....When I have gone away for a weekend, my husband told me that she suffers from separation anxiety....cries...and doesn't eat as well.....My husband does very well!....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}....It does concern me when we go on vacations.

Last edited on 1/11/2013

I figured out the "shadow" part immediately!

__
Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing, right in your ear.
--Dave Barry

hckynut1357927215.19319487 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

Do You Think That Male Cats Are "More Affectionate" Than Females?

Having been owned by 30+ felines over several decades, pretty evenly split between male and female gender? My answer would be no. Gender has seem to make no difference in our household full of felines.

We've had some of both genders that just want to see "us jump" when they want something. These same ones want you to do things for them, but be affectionate or even pretend to be affectionate? Only when they are wanting you to do something for them, and it doesn't take long to figure out what that "something" for them might be.

I compare the to the human species. You have some men that are more affectionate that others, and the same for the female gender. Maybe it has to do with genetics in humans, but I am not so sure about felines. We have had brothers, and brothers and sisters from the same litters, and they are on opposite ends when it comes to being affectionate and other of their daily activities.

We currently have 12 indoor only felines, 8 of which are male and 4 of them are all black. Now out of these 12 felines we have only 1 that does not want much to do with holding or sitting on your lap, or any other kind of contact other than an occasion pet. The 11 others are all affectionate, moreso on some days than others. There again, like people, I am sure they have their good days and their bad days.

I'll take either gender when it comes to saving their lives as to me and my experiences with both genders, it makes no significant differnce in their personalities or characters.

hckynut(john)

Sushismom1357927406.4435283 PostsRegistered 10/21/2004

I've found no difference in the amount of affection I get from male or female cats. It's more dependent upon the cat's personality than anything else.

I've had a couple of female cats who were two of the most affectionate cats I've ever had. The current female I have is affectionate on occasion. Same with 2 of the 3 males I have. The other male is also very affectionate. And another of my former male cats (Buster) was also very affectionate. He's now living with my nephew who had Buster's littermate. Unfortunately, the littermate died at a very young age from cancer.

bluecat21357927515.984234 PostsRegistered 1/7/2005

I have a male and female, brother and sister from the same litter. My male is soooooo much more affectionate and loving....

Preds1357927735.2321253 PostsRegistered 12/17/2012Here and there

I've had females that were so lovey-dovey that they would drive you crazy and I've had some thatI had to bow down too. HAHA. The males I had acted more like dogs. Follow you every step you take and always did a "yard check" when we went out.

All of them precious and different.

" The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept." George Carlin

MaryKateDa­naher1357927911.7871611 PostsRegistered 11/15/2012Wrigley Field Chick

Me and My Shadow, aww the poor baby. It tickles me no end that she is that close to you that she cries when your not with her! You are so loved!!!
My little girl dog is like that with me too. She is my bathroom pal, exercise helpmate and roomie! She makes me smile and laugh!

But Bubba is the King!!

Ms.Daisy just indulges him

~Eamus Catuli~

MaryKateDa­naher1357928005.721611 PostsRegistered 11/15/2012Wrigley Field Chick

Predsfans, Sounds like you may have watch-cats there! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

~Eamus Catuli~

Me And My ­Shadow1357928024.871087 PostsRegistered 1/8/2009
On 1/11/2013 Moonlady said:

I was raised in a family of animal lovers....we had mostly cats....and my home has never been without one, two or three.....My experience has been that they all have their own distinct personalities, just like people....and I have found no distinction between one gender being more affectionate than the other....My female cat, Shadow, is probably the most affectionate cat I have ever had.....very attached.....very bonded....maybe a little too much actually...as she follows me everywhere I go....literally.....Even when it appears that she is sleeping, I can walk into another room and, within seconds, she will be right there with me....I can't even take a shower without her coming into the bathroom....sitting up on the vanity....and washing herself also...so I guess you could say that we take showers together also....LOL....When I have gone away for a weekend, my husband told me that she suffers from separation anxiety....cries...and doesn't eat as well.....My husband does very well!....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}....It does concern me when we go on vacations.

Last edited on 1/11/2013

I figured out the "shadow" part immediately!

A cute story...When I first joined the forums, a very nice poster thought that my nic referred to me being all alone and lonely....like that old song...."Me And My Shadow"... and she said that, if I ever needed someone to talk to, that she would be here for me.....It was so sweet and touching....I thanked her and then explained to her the real meaning of my nic, and that I would welcome very much all of us sharing together. Smile

Last edited on 1/11/2013

Last edited on 1/11/2013

Preds1357928227.16321253 PostsRegistered 12/17/2012Here and there

MaryKate, I did. Sadly they are all gone now and I just have sweet memories. However, I really do have a watch dog now. He watches everything I do and his name is BUSTER.

Actually, it is Buster Boo Bear. His daddy was Yogi Bear. (and yes, I'm Cindy)

" The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept." George Carlin

Me And My ­Shadow1357928284.4131087 PostsRegistered 1/8/2009
On 1/11/2013 MaryKateDanaher said:

Me and My Shadow, aww the poor baby. It tickles me no end that she is that close to you that she cries when your not with her! You are so loved!!!
My little girl dog is like that with me too. She is my bathroom pal, exercise helpmate and roomie! She makes me smile and laugh!

But Bubba is the King!!

Ms.Daisy just indulges him

I tell ya, no privacy whatsoever, right? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}....Gotta love them! {#emotions_dlg.wub}...They add so much warmth and love to our lives!

MaryKateDa­naher1357928451.461611 PostsRegistered 11/15/2012Wrigley Field Chick

So the King is my first feline and lately he has been doing something really odd (at least for his lordship). I really do give him as much attention as he will allow. Lately he has been jumping behind me on the top of the sofa and stroking me with his tail. Never in three years has he done this. He is one weirdo, but I love him.

~Eamus Catuli~

MaryKateDa­naher1357928533.9571611 PostsRegistered 11/15/2012Wrigley Field Chick
On 1/11/2013 MaryKateDanaher said:

Me and My Shadow, aww the poor baby. It tickles me no end that she is that close to you that she cries when your not with her! You are so loved!!!<br /> My little girl dog is like that with me too. She is my bathroom pal, exercise helpmate and roomie! She makes me smile and laugh!<br /> <br /> But Bubba is the King!!<br /> <br /> Ms.Daisy just indulges him

I tell ya, no privacy whatsoever, right? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}....Gotta love them! {#emotions_dlg.wub}...They add so much warmth and love to our lives!

Amen to that!!!! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

~Eamus Catuli~

Me And My ­Shadow1357928629.5271087 PostsRegistered 1/8/2009
On 1/11/2013 rustynail1 said:

He's a sweetheart MaryKate. My attempts at trying to get the two to be friends failed miserably last summer when I tried to introduce them gradually. He seems perfectly content outside in his warm cathouse at night, and like I said, he looks healthy now and is playful.

How sweet of you to give him such a loving home!....I would definitely worry very much about him being outside and declawed though.....Usually a stray cat is very receptive to other cats in the house....but it's the indoor cat that has become very possessive of their territory that is not receptive....Is that the case here?

bikerbabe1357928735.038611 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007

nope. not true at all. i've had 3 cats, all female, and every one of them has been a total lovebug.

I take pleasure in my 'transformations'. I look quiet and consistent, but few know how many women there are in me.
- Anais Nin

Page 1 of 2