Respected Contributor

Do You Think That Male Cats Are "More Affectionate" Than Females?

What about your own cats or those you've known? Have you found this to be true? Have the males in your household ever preferred males to females?

DH and I were picking up things yesterday at Petco for our star boarder{#emotions_dlg.mellow} and stopped to look at the cats (they're brought in for adoption by animal welfare agencies). I was fussing over one of them, "Bosco," and an onlooker said to me, "Males are more affectionate." I get that a lot.

Our current cat is the only male we've had. Our other cats were all female, but it just worked out that way--there was no particular reason why we went with females. Same thing for the cats I grew up with. I wouldn't exactly call any of the female cats "affectionate," though they weren't unfriendly and some had what I'd call a "sweet" disposition. They pretty much minded their own business and came around us when they needed something, but were known to beg for attention, too. Out little guy now is affectionate in his own way. He doesn't jump in our laps much, but I've noticed that he often runs around the house following us. Other times, he's content to peer out the window by himself.

As far as preference for one over the other, none of the males in our family or those I've known ever expressed a preference for male cats over females--same thing with DH, who had both growing up.

In other words, cats have their own personalities{#emotions_dlg.wub}. But I'm not buying into that generalization.

What worries you masters you.