10 Members and 18939 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Why does burning firewood smell so bad?

Started 1354942689.937 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1361956759.8 by Last Reply by
replies

We're getting close to that time of year again and some of my neighbors like to burn wood in their fireplace. It always smells acrid and burns my throat if I go outside. Plus, have to make sure my windows are shut tight. Are they using the wrong type of wood? We never use our fireplace....it just doesn't get cold enough, we feel anyway. One recent night it was 44 and one of our neighbors was already at it. Do you think that's odd? At what temperature do you start using your fireplace?

formerly Ilikeshade and foundinlv
sucker for cuddly cats

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
sunshine451354943046.845551 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

we start using ours if it gets below 50 degrees generally..... i love the warmth and the ambiance of a nice fire..... and i love the smell outside in particular, especially if it is chilly.

Improve time in the present; for opportunity is precious, and time is a sword. -- SAADI

Ignore User#1 of 57
mgm21354943183.42317850 PostsRegistered 9/15/2012Livin' My Life Like It's Golden

44 degrees is cool enough to use your fireplace.

In spring or fall when the sun is out but not warm enough to heat the home, having the fireplace on is fine.

Some wood is better suited for burning then others - and it has to be 'dried out' before burning. It's not advisable to use 'new wood' because it will smoke and not burn easily or eveny.

Always laugh when you can, it is cheap medicine. - Lord Byron


Ignore User#2 of 57
scotttie1354943222.3941952 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

I think your neighbors are using green wood or some other wood that doesn't smell good. My dad's fireplace always smelled good but we have neighbors whose fireplaces smell like a trash fire or something!

"Oh wad some power the giftie gie us To see oursel's as others see us!
--Robert Burns

:-) :-) :D :D
still Scottie




Ignore User#3 of 57
neala1354943243.4232524 PostsRegistered 10/31/2012City by the bay
Love the smell! Start a fire as soon as the air "feels" chilly. :)




*
*
*
*
*

Ignore User#4 of 57
kittykatkay1354943392.50323127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011

It doesn't bother me, I love the smell of firewood - inside or outside. I guess it's the way I was brought up, I suppose. We had that in the home (fireplace) and also did alot of "bonfires" and stuff like that on our/and relatives' farm land when I was just a kid.

I love to laugh and dance......

Ignore User#5 of 57
kittywhipp­ed1354943593.139031 PostsRegistered 4/20/2012

What about late at night? Does everyone leave the fire going all night long while they're in bed sleeping? I don't get it...sorry. I mean if one had a fireplace in their bedroom I'd get it but no one out here does.

formerly Ilikeshade and foundinlv
sucker for cuddly cats

Ignore User#6 of 57
scotttie1354943923.04741952 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

It might be a wood burning stove found. I know people who use them to heat their homes or add additional warming.

"Oh wad some power the giftie gie us To see oursel's as others see us!
--Robert Burns

:-) :-) :D :D
still Scottie




Ignore User#7 of 57
bikerbabe1354944034.5539820 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007

some people have wood burning stoves as their only source of heat.

Ignore User#8 of 57
mgm21354944125.3817850 PostsRegistered 9/15/2012Livin' My Life Like It's Golden
On 12/7/2012 ~foundinlv~ said:

What about late at night? Does everyone leave the fire going all night long while they're in bed sleeping? I don't get it...sorry. I mean if one had a fireplace in their bedroom I'd get it but no one out here does.

The wood continues to burn even after the flame has died down. If you do it correctly, the wood in the fireplace will continue burning for hours.

Always laugh when you can, it is cheap medicine. - Lord Byron


Ignore User#9 of 57
sunshine451354944318.16345551 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

no, we dont have the fire going all night long. we pretty much know when the fire will be dying and we dont add anymore wood to the fire if we are planning on leaving the room for the night OR if we are going to bed soon.

Improve time in the present; for opportunity is precious, and time is a sword. -- SAADI

Ignore User#10 of 57
kittywhipp­ed1354944426.2139031 PostsRegistered 4/20/2012
On 12/7/2012 mgm2 said:
On 12/7/2012 ~foundinlv~ said:

What about late at night? Does everyone leave the fire going all night long while they're in bed sleeping? I don't get it...sorry. I mean if one had a fireplace in their bedroom I'd get it but no one out here does.

The wood continues to burn even after the flame has died down. If you do it correctly, the wood in the fireplace will continue burning for hours.

Interesting. Thank you.

formerly Ilikeshade and foundinlv
sucker for cuddly cats

Ignore User#11 of 57
kittywhipp­ed1354944504.739031 PostsRegistered 4/20/2012

Thanks scottie, neala, kitty, bikerbabe and sunshine.

formerly Ilikeshade and foundinlv
sucker for cuddly cats

Ignore User#12 of 57
mgm21354944727.8217850 PostsRegistered 9/15/2012Livin' My Life Like It's Golden
On 12/7/2012 ~foundinlv~ said:
On 12/7/2012 mgm2 said:
On 12/7/2012 ~foundinlv~ said:

What about late at night? Does everyone leave the fire going all night long while they're in bed sleeping? I don't get it...sorry. I mean if one had a fireplace in their bedroom I'd get it but no one out here does.

The wood continues to burn even after the flame has died down. If you do it correctly, the wood in the fireplace will continue burning for hours.

Interesting. Thank you.

..much like what happens in a barbeque grill.

You're welcome

Always laugh when you can, it is cheap medicine. - Lord Byron


Ignore User#13 of 57
kittywhipp­ed1354944914.2779031 PostsRegistered 4/20/2012

I wish it didn't burn my throat. I went to firepits at the beach when I was a kid and don't remember it hurting my throat. I guess they used the correct wood.

formerly Ilikeshade and foundinlv
sucker for cuddly cats

Ignore User#14 of 57
raven-blac­kbird1354946509.3416853 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009California
Oh, I LOVE the smell of burning wood........and leaves...............raven

"Polite conversation is rarely either."
Fran Lebowitz

Ignore User#15 of 57
aubnwa011354946693.477156 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004Cortaro, AZ

When I lived in WA, a lot of my neighbors burned wood in their fireplaces in the winter & it smelled nice. I think most folks burned dried doug fir up there. Down here in the AZ desert, when I smell a wood fire, it's just stinky & acrid! Not sure what they burn here, as my fireplace is natural gas, but it doesn't smell nice at all. It kind of smells more like a grass or trash fire than a wood fire.

"Always Be A Little Kinder Than Necessary"-James M. Barrie

Ignore User#16 of 57
raven-blac­kbird1354946901.816853 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009California
On 12/7/2012 ~foundinlv~ said:

I wish it didn't burn my throat. I went to firepits at the beach when I was a kid and don't remember it hurting my throat. I guess they used the correct wood.

Maybe they are burning green wood...............raven

"Polite conversation is rarely either."
Fran Lebowitz

Ignore User#17 of 57
kittywhipp­ed1354947270.239031 PostsRegistered 4/20/2012

Yes, it must be the green wood..thanks. Next time I see my neighbors I'm going to ask. Won't hurt to ask, right? Hope not anyway...

formerly Ilikeshade and foundinlv
sucker for cuddly cats

Ignore User#18 of 57
kittywhipp­ed1354948141.0579031 PostsRegistered 4/20/2012
On 12/8/2012 aubnwa01 said:

When I lived in WA, a lot of my neighbors burned wood in their fireplaces in the winter & it smelled nice. I think most folks burned dried doug fir up there. Down here in the AZ desert, when I smell a wood fire, it's just stinky & acrid! Not sure what they burn here, as my fireplace is natural gas, but it doesn't smell nice at all. It kind of smells more like a grass or trash fire than a wood fire.

Hmmm. I wonder what the law is here about that. Will have to check it out.

formerly Ilikeshade and foundinlv
sucker for cuddly cats

Ignore User#19 of 57
MarLoCat1354948282.742920 PostsRegistered 9/30/2012

IMO-Fireplaces Burning wood Smells worse than cigarette smoke.

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

Ignore User#20 of 57
kittywhipp­ed1354948431.1379031 PostsRegistered 4/20/2012
On 12/8/2012 MarLoCat said:

IMO-Fireplaces Burning wood Smells worse than cigarette smoke.

Yes! That's been my experience so far too.

formerly Ilikeshade and foundinlv
sucker for cuddly cats

Ignore User#21 of 57
raven-blac­kbird1354948484.43316853 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009California

I just checked, I bet they are burning green wood, probably pine, and why your throat is burning is from the creosote you're inhalling from the green wood smoke.............................raven

"Polite conversation is rarely either."
Fran Lebowitz

Ignore User#22 of 57
kittywhipp­ed1354948682.319031 PostsRegistered 4/20/2012

Thanks bbr. I guess it doesn't bother the people who are burning it which I find really surprising but will ask them when I see them.

formerly Ilikeshade and foundinlv
sucker for cuddly cats

Ignore User#23 of 57
momtodogs1354972333.8834341 PostsRegistered 9/20/2006

I also loe the smell of burning firewood and leaves. We replaced our woodburning fireplace with gas many years ago, I don't miss the mess but I do miss the smell. Sorry that it bothers you......

Ignore User#24 of 57
happy hous­ewife1354973017.2434389 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I also love the smell of burning wood. Just feels like home. Especially cherry wood. When I was a child our farm had an ancient cherry orchard on it - the trees were way old , half dead and did not produce significant fruit so my Dad cut them and used to burn the wood in our fireplace. It smelled so delicious.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

Ignore User#25 of 57
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next