Handbag Clearance
16 Members and 11941 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Remember The Dr. Phil Family with Alexandra

Started 1354674605.533 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1354816986.287 by Lotus~

Sadly, it appears her stay in rehab didn't work. Below is a post from Erin, her mother, on Facebook. Hopefully she won't be kicking out anymore drug addicted babies for her parents to raise.

"I hate addiction and what it has done to my family and my daughter! She is completely lost in her insane life and somehow thinks no one sees the insanity of her choices.

Some may argue she is no longer able to choose, but she did make a choice, several months ago, when she was completely sober.

Her choice did not include her family. There are days when I am angry about this. But I have no power, control, or influence over my daughter and I cannot let my daughters behavior affect my life and how I raise my precious grandchildren.

She surrounds herself with people like herself, these people tell her exactly what she wants to hear, so she feels "safe". Whatever safe is....

My daughter gets very sick because her health is so bad from using. Today I had to tell her "No, I will not buy your prescriptions for antibiotics, prednisone, etc."

I am angry today because she only called to get something from me. If she really wanted to get better, she would choose a different lifestyle. Or at least ask for help, from someone, to find a better lifestyle.

Addiction has stolen my daughter. The person left is someone I don't know. This person is cruel, hateful, uncaring and selfish. My heart breaks knowing I will probably never see my daughter again, she loves her addiction too much.

Getting sober and healthy would mean she would have to participate in life. I suppose she doesn't really want to be in her families life, too many hurts, too many questions, too many times she told us to "Get the F*** out of her life"

She got her wish....."

Page 1 of 1
Lotus~1354674855.16334732 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY

This is very sad. An addict's behavior affects everyone close to them.

There are many so many families that are suffering.

RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3

croemer1354675278.5370734 PostsRegistered 1/29/2009

Just when I thought maybe...just maybe rehab would stick with her this time. What a waste, I can not imagine how much money her several rehabs have cost. Pitiful!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Beware the drowning snake."
The tongue is a small thing, but what enormous damage it can do.

croemer1354675325.7570734 PostsRegistered 1/29/2009

And her poor children and what she has put her parents thru when they should be enjoying the later part of their life.

Nancy Drew1354675604.8534571 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

It will be and endless cycle of jail, illness,jail until the end. Either a long prison term for some crime related to her drugs or an overdose. She doesn't want to engage in real life.

Please don't put me in a timeout.

croemer1354675714.36370734 PostsRegistered 1/29/2009

I just read where Alexandra lost a baby in late Sept.{#emotions_dlg.mellow}

Lotus~1354675823.7734732 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY

It should be interesting to see if there will be another intervention with Dr. Phil......didn't he say this last effort would be his last?

My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3

SophiaMarie13546762536732 PostsRegistered 3/17/2010

I followed their story. I have family who live near them in Ponte Vedra Bch, Fl. Erin worked in the bank and Marty had a business. I haven't heard anything about them in quite awhile, but I will make some inquiries.

I think Dr. Phil made some mistakes with this family. Giving them trucks, cars, computers, etc. He put too much faith in Alexandra - not seeing the signs of the drug addict she was at the time. I think ratings meant more to him than "fixing" this family. He sent Marty and Erin to Germany so he could connect with his family and gave them all kinds of gifts instead of putting all his focus on Alexandra.

Katherine (the younger sister) also had a bout with drugs and I don't know if she is married or not - but has a son. Both girls were spoiled terribly. They each had a horse. Dr. Phil bought Alexandra a red truck because that's what she always wanted. I couldn't understand all that.

I feel badly for Erin and the children and I give her a lot of credit for taking them all in. The youngest was born addicted and has problems to this day. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

SophiaMarie1354676335.166732 PostsRegistered 3/17/2010
On 12/4/2012 Lotus~ said:

It should be interesting to see if there will be another intervention with Dr. Phil......didn't he say this last effort would be his last?

I think he said he would be "done" with Alexandra if she didn't complete her rehab. We'll see.

croemer1354676877.3370734 PostsRegistered 1/29/2009

I read that katherine is engaged to a married man.

SophiaMarie1354677061.266732 PostsRegistered 3/17/2010
On 12/4/2012 croemer said:

I read that katherine is engaged to a married man.

Is he still married???

I remember when she was 13 and wrote a letter to her parents, telling them she wanted a "divorce" from them and to be adopted by another family. She read it on Dr. Phil's show. He was very sympathetic towards her and told the parents that they were ignoring her and giving all the attention to Alexandra.

Katherine was on the verge of addiction even at that time but Alexandra was the one who got everything.

traveler1354682871.6210975 PostsRegistered 12/14/2004Alaska

I have wondered about that family. I didn't know the mother was on facebook. What was her name?

SophiaMarie1354683102.4536732 PostsRegistered 3/17/2010
On 12/4/2012 traveler said:

I have wondered about that family. I didn't know the mother was on facebook. What was her name?

I can't remember their last name. Her name is Erin and his is Marty. Their name is German-sounding, like Baumer or something close to it. I could be wrong tho. Smile

occasional­ rain1354690584.7315905 PostsRegistered 8/21/2007

It seems that Dr Phil isn't all that. He's failed this family and, as far as I know, he's never had a lasting success with anyone. He's always seemed like a con man to me and there doesn't seem any reason to reconsider.

missyw11354712149.5731102 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

Older daughter has 3 kids by 3 different fathers?

I didn't know younger one had a kid too. And engaged to a married man?

What a messed up family. I used to watch them when they had no babies.

Last edited on 12/5/2012

Last edited on 12/5/2012

lulu21354715782.33719825 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

Within the last few years, Erin's sister succumbed to her addiction.

Very sad; you saw warning signs the last time Alexandra was back from rehab. Those poor children don't stand much of a chance. Erin and Marty didn't do a very good job with their own two. Let's hope they do a bit better with the next generation.

RINGER1354717050.323627 PostsRegistered 4/11/2007Home sweet home in beautiful northern Virginia!
On 12/5/2012 occasional rain said:

It seems that Dr Phil isn't all that. He's failed this family and, as far as I know, he's never had a lasting success with anyone. He's always seemed like a con man to me and there doesn't seem any reason to reconsider.

You couldn't be more WRONG!! He had huge success with the young boy who was addicted and let's face it...HE CAN'T MAKE ADDICTION WORK--THE ADDICTED HAS TO WANT it to work and I think Alexandra just wants to be on Dr. Phil again and is messing her family up all the more. She is toxic and Erin should be applauded for raising her kids!!

I don't think Dr. Phil is "all that" but he has done some remarkable things with families so just because Alexandra is not a success story--is NOT his fault!

"You never know when the last time will be the last time."

Topaz Gem1354717823.26314488 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire
On 12/5/2012 RINGER said:
On 12/5/2012 occasional rain said:

You couldn't be more WRONG!! He had huge success with the young boy who was addicted and let's face it...HE CAN'T MAKE ADDICTION WORK--THE ADDICTED HAS TO WANT it to work and I think Alexandra just wants to be on Dr. Phil again and is messing her family up all the more. She is toxic and Erin should be applauded for raising her kids!!

I don't think Dr. Phil is "all that" but he has done some remarkable things with families so just because Alexandra is not a success story--is NOT his fault!

I agree. Dr. Phil can only do so much. If the addict doesn't want to change, there's nothing magical he can do. He's done everything for those 2 girls and given them multiple opportunities, top medical care and the best counselling available from experts in the field. Now the ball is in their court and it doesn't sound like they have any intention of getting well.

Spring shows what God can do with a drab and dirty world. ~Virgil A. Kraft

saschill1354720725.7271328 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have no luck posting links here, but here's the link to Erin's Facebook page called "Raising my Grandchildren" - <a href="https://www.facebook.com/RaisingMyGrandchildren?ref=stream">https://www.facebook.com/RaisingMyGrandchildren?ref=stream</a>

She's also on Twitter as ErinMarieStehl.

PinkSugar1354723879.8420054 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

I don't know why Dr. Phil has failed. Because you don't like him? He has put her in rehab how many times now at no cost to the family.

I had a former student on Dr. Phil in 2008 as a teen mom. She is doing well and has nothing but good to say about how kind everyone on the show was to her and her mother. They paid their plane fare, motel, meals ....at no cost to them.

Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

toodles111354734485.643539 PostsRegistered 12/6/2010

Addicts relapse all of the time and without Dr Phil.

It's such a hard and devastating thing. Can't imagine how hard it would be to know that you picked drugs over being with your kids.

PurpleBunny1354747942.138883 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch
That girl is a total lost cause. All the opportunities in the world, but the bottom line is that she is selfish. I was looking at the facebook page and boy, Leila sure looks like her mother!

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")
♡ღ‿♡⌒♡‿ღ♡
April is Autism Awareness Month
Boston Strong 2014

       

Escher1354748195.1232115 PostsRegistered 10/24/2012Where?
On 12/5/2012 PinkSugar said:

I don't know why Dr. Phil has failed. Because you don't like him? He has put her in rehab how many times now at no cost to the family.

I had a former student on Dr. Phil in 2008 as a teen mom. She is doing well and has nothing but good to say about how kind everyone on the show was to her and her mother. They paid their plane fare, motel, meals ....at no cost to them.

That's interesting to hear...................I wondered about the successes...............The young man who works with his Mom to help other addicts is a fine success story paying it forward..............

Let's have a moment of silence for all those who are stuck in traffic on their way to the gym to ride stationary bicycles.... (-;

Irshgrl312­011354764293.5213186 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

I don't understand why the govt can't step in in situations like this and make birth control mandatory. She should be required to get a depo shot every 3 months and if she doesn't show up to get it, there should be a warrant issued for her arrest. She can live her life and do all the drugs she wants, but not allowed to bring another child into this world while doing so. Children of addicts have life long problems with learning and many other problems. My friends sister was a crack addict and addicted with every pregnancy. All of her kids have bi polar disorder and extreme ADHD.

Mersha1354813073.1033808 PostsRegistered 9/22/2007

It is too bad that with all of the resources that the family had access to that they still were not able to make positive changes.

Lotus~1354816986.28734732 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
On 12/5/2012 saschill said:

I have no luck posting links here, but here's the link to Erin's Facebook page called "Raising my Grandchildren" - <a href="https://www.facebook.com/RaisingMyGrandchildren?ref=stream">https://www.facebook.com/RaisingMyGrandchildren?ref=stream</a>

She's also on Twitter as ErinMarieStehl.

I just checked out this page......those kids are gorgeous. I sure hope that this go-around raising kids is more successful for them. They really do love their kids and grand-kids.

So sad on so many levels. :-(

Page 1 of 1