Dooney Days
68 Members and 14618 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Jacqueline Kennedy Collection

Started 1350921635.157 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1351011414.82 by Shorty2U
Although I don't buy any of the jewelry being presented.....Philip is so interesting to watch and listen too. The history behind the pieces is fascinating! Anyone else care to chime in?

"Chocolate should be one of the major food groups!"

"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making a few more!"

Page 1 of 2
Moonlady1350921803.08714593 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Upstate NY

I, also, like watching these presentations and enjoy Philip's photos of JKO wearing the items. I wish they'd ditch the maudlin background music, though.

__
Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing, right in your ear.
--Dave Barry

loveschoco­late1350921871.73710390 PostsRegistered 5/11/2012Ohio......GO BUCKS!!!!
He is so knowledgeable.....a real joy to watch.

"Chocolate should be one of the major food groups!"

"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making a few more!"

ShowMe1350923178.39744964 PostsRegistered 9/6/2010Missouri

He is very soft spoken and knowledgeable about her jewels....It has always amazed me as to how much she had. Wonder where the heck she kept it all....

Formerly Fluffy329........

Proud to be from the St. Louis area and LOVE THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS!
Go Cardinals

Happy Shopping and Don't Spend All Your Money in One Place!!!!!

Moonlady1350923418.8314593 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Upstate NY
On 10/22/2012 loveschocolate said: He is so knowledgeable.....a real joy to watch.

I love it when he uses his little "pointer." A number of callers asked why he stopped including with the shipment pics of JKO wearing the item --copyright issues, apparently. Clearly, though, everyone enjoys seeing shots of her wearing the original pieces. He really knows his stuff!

__
Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing, right in your ear.
--Dave Barry

blahblahva­mpemerblah1350926636.046203 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I like the stories, but so many of them are really, really unflattering to Jack/Jackie.

Jackie says that she won't wear her engagement ring because she doesn't have earrings to match so off Jack goes to have them made.

The obsession with a Chanel paper clip necklace up to the point where she'll pay an astronomical amount to get her hands on one.

Jack's daddy paying for everything.

And so on.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

wagnerdanc­er1350927922.224743 PostsRegistered 4/28/2008

That's exacatly what makes it so interesting! The stories, flattering or not, are very interesting. I've gotten a couple of pieces of the jewelry and I love it and wear it all the time. I admired Jackie and the Prez too for that matter.

Dance Like No One's Watching

terrier31350928177.0128515 PostsRegistered 7/13/2007
On 10/22/2012 blahblahvampemerblah said:

I like the stories, but so many of them are really, really unflattering to Jack/Jackie.

Jackie says that she won't wear her engagement ring because she doesn't have earrings to match so off Jack goes to have them made.

The obsession with a Chanel paper clip necklace up to the point where she'll pay an astronomical amount to get her hands on one.

And so on.

At least they tempered this greed for jewels with public service (Peace Corps, special olympics etc.)

TheWinner1350929409.81366 PostsRegistered 9/5/2012Planet Earth

I just do not know who would pay such high prices for costume jewelry... why not at least make it out of silver if it is so special and "historic".... and who would wear it and where you would wear it.... rather gaudy and over the top.

~~~ A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory...~~~

JJsMom1350929701.8619954 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007

I take his stories with a grain of salt. He is, first and foremost, a salesman.

I am not sure what people are thinking when they buy this jewelry. Do they think they own a piece of history?

Burnsite1350930174.327518 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007

I don't think the pieces are pretty, yet Jackie's jewels were.

Look, I have been a vintage doll collector (stopped 10 years ago but like my collection) and the reason I went back to the originals when there are repros avail. is that the repros were really awful--so that's where I am coming from. People never reproduce something. They make it thicker, or clumsier, or "update" inappropriately. I am not saying this about the Jackie pearls, which really do look on camera like the original. But the gems, to me (I am a gem person) do not look at all like the originals. The settings are clumsy imo.

violann1350930838.55312910 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
If you're interested in the family, as I am, you might want to read "The Kennedy Women". If you have ever harbored even the slightest bit of jealousy towards any of the Kennedys I guarantee you it will be gone after you read that book. They must be one of the saddest groups of people on earth.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

dooBdoo1350931114.2517876 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA
On 10/22/2012 Burnsite said:

I don't think the pieces are pretty, yet Jackie's jewels were.

Look, I have been a vintage doll collector (stopped 10 years ago but like my collection) and the reason I went back to the originals when there are repros avail. is that the repros were really awful--so that's where I am coming from. People never reproduce something. They make it thicker, or clumsier, or "update" inappropriately. I am not saying this about the Jackie pearls, which really do look on camera like the original. But the gems, to me (I am a gem person) do not look at all like the originals. The settings are clumsy imo.

I agree with you, Burnsite. I enjoy hearing the stories, and Jackie's original jewelry looks lovely. I've seen a few of the Q's reproductions in person, and they don't look well-made nor do the faux "gems" look attractive, in my opinion. I have a number of pieces of "original" costume jewelry from the early-to-mid 20th century, and the techniques and materials look so much nicer. jmho.

~doobs

★~
The illiterate of the 21st century
will not be those who cannot read and write,
but those who cannot learn, unlearn,
and relearn. ~Alvin Toffler

cindychats1350931536.8817559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008
On 10/22/2012 violann said: If you're interested in the family, as I am, you might want to read "The Kennedy Women". If you have ever harbored even the slightest bit of jealousy towards any of the Kennedys I guarantee you it will be gone after you read that book. They must be one of the saddest groups of people on earth.

Hmmmm...nope Not jealous of any of the Kennedys. ha!

But hey not all of the sotries include greed. Some of the jewlery she recieved as gifts from leaders when they visited other crountires. Those stories are nice to hear. All the nicey nicey mushy love stories about her and JFK sound..well.. a little embellished. What do y'all think?

suzyQ31350932379.41725341 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

I'm not one who enjoys watching him at all. Maybe that's partly because I just don't get the fascination with this woman and what she wore and when she wore it, ad nauseam.

And like another poster, I also don't get the whole jewelry thing. I guess if you like the look of a piece, that's fine. But I always get the feeling from the callers that they sort of think they're buying something historic that makes them somehow feel connected to this First Lady.

I think it's just all rather weird.

Consciousness is chaos. Our stories - faith, statehood, family, history - are just dreams we invent to give shape to the shapeless, to build a firewall against the void. That it all falls to pieces is part of the point; we're alone together, after all.

madame j1350938807.393538 PostsRegistered 10/22/2012Texas

I love the stories and the history. I have only bought one item and its the gold tone bangle bracelets and I like them alot. It was a magical time when The Kennedy's were in office and I was in high school and it brings many treasured memories, but also the ending tragedy. Jackie was class and a lady too.

onewhiteSp­arrow1350944792.859947 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011
On 10/22/2012 blahblahvampemerblah said:

And so on.

We'll never know why she wanted the Paper clip necklace all those years. I thought it was odd to want a paper clip necklace. Until I did a Google search for Project Paper Clip and read the history of those words. I found both names used was odd. She was the First Lady and would know all kinds of history few would know.

I had to buy the Paper Clip neaklace to tell both stories and how history mingles.

"From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul. That tale will move them & drive them & who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words."

onewhiteSp­arrow1350945021.7539947 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011
On 10/22/2012 TheWinner said:

I just do not know who would pay such high prices for costume jewelry... why not at least make it out of silver if it is so special and "historic".... and who would wear it and where you would wear it.... rather gaudy and over the top.

There are a lot of ladies across the USA that attends monthy Socials. They dress up and love to wear all kinds of jewelry. Jackies jewelry is seen all the time at the many Socials.

Some ladies like to wear the jewelry out for lunch with the lady friends, and out to dinner with their husbands.

"From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul. That tale will move them & drive them & who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words."

onewhiteSp­arrow1350945223.9979947 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011
On 10/22/2012 JJsMom said:

I take his stories with a grain of salt. He is, first and foremost, a salesman.

I am not sure what people are thinking when they buy this jewelry. Do they think they own a piece of history?

I have noticed the ladies love to share the stories of history when someone asks about the jewelry. Few jewelry has a story to go along with wearing them.

I love to tell the history part of the jewelry. Gives something to talk about over dinner with friends. Of course if they have one of Jackies pieces they share that side of history.

It's just fun and different.

missy11350945582.1132558 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

Love Phillip Katz and the history behind the pieces. Not into the jewelry, because it's mostly gold metals.

I do not think he is making up stories, or the Kennedy's would not be too happy about that.

Last edited on 10/22/2012

Last edited on 10/22/2012

MrsLorraine1350946178.313995 PostsRegistered 7/5/2012

Everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes. No one's holding a gun to your head and making you watch; you can switch the channels or turn the television off (what an original thought! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}) while those that want to see the presentation can.

Now--isn't that a nice, easy solution to your problem?

tansy1350946764.66327821 PostsRegistered 4/19/2005
I don't care about the Jackie mystique but I used to tune in to listen to Bill Fenton talk about his glass workers and artists even though most of the products were not something I wanted to buy.

An eye for an eye only leads to more blindness *** Margaret Atwood.

onewhiteSp­arrow1350947427.2779947 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011

I like to watch and listen to any stories about the item they are selling. It is nice to sit and listen to the stories and not just someone trying to talk us into buying the item.

I know if I was going to sell something I would entertain them first with a story. If they like the story they are more likely to buy the item. How do I know this?

I won 7 awards out of 10 while selling something. And, I really was not trying to win. I was just talking with everyone, and having fun. People love stories and good company.

suzyQ31350947532.84325341 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 10/22/2012 BooBoosMom said:

Everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes. No one's holding a gun to your head and making you watch; you can switch the channels or turn the television off (what an original thought! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}) while those that want to see the presentation can.

Now--isn't that a nice, easy solution to your problem?

This is Viewpoints.

Consciousness is chaos. Our stories - faith, statehood, family, history - are just dreams we invent to give shape to the shapeless, to build a firewall against the void. That it all falls to pieces is part of the point; we're alone together, after all.

beach music1350947685.32729065 PostsRegistered 4/16/2007

I have a JBK watch and love it !

"don't get so tolerant that you tolerate intolerance." bill maher

onewhiteSp­arrow1350947909.289947 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011
On 10/22/2012 beach music said:

I have a JBK watch and love it !

I have several watches and just like you I love her watch. It feels great wearing it and easy to put on. One of my favorite watches.

Page 1 of 2