Trusted Contributor

I'm worried about my seven year-old sister in 2nd grade being held back. How should I go about this?

My sister is in second grade and she has been struggling in some areas during the school year yet her report cards are not at all horrible and she has shown signs of improvement. She has problems concentrating though and struggles in reading comprehension and writing but she is good at math and always gets 100s on her spelling tests. Throughout the year her teacher has brought up the possibility of her repeating second grade something my mother and no one else in my family wants. I'm very busy and feel guilt about helping her more but at the same time my parents are home all day unlike me and I feel like they haven't been pulling their weight. Just last month I helped her on a book report and she got a 28/30 and she got a B+ on her project on Helen Keller. The reason I am so worried now is because my mother set up tomeet with her teacher in May but he didn't get back to her till today and wants to meet June 11th. School closes on the 14th so my mom basically threw in the towel and said that he's probably gonna give her the bad news that she is staying back. I HATE that she has to think this way. I'm really thinking of going in myself and meeting with him but he does seem to be pretty busy and he has never had any kind of contact with me in the past. What do you think I should do? I have a friend that was left back and he says that it really affected his self-esteem. I want the best for my sister.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.