Fall Fashion Clearance
33 Members and 15475 Guests Online

Viewpoints

For anyone who has had shingles around their waist

Started 1264031473 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1264203462 by BossieCat
Did you get a rash and did it kind of burn and did your skin get numb? Did it feel like you had something inside your skin?
I called my doctor with these symptoms and he said it was a muscle spasm but that was before I had the rash (it's very small) and the numbness.
TIA
--
member of the comma club,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no more periods for me

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
GoodStuff126403178614531 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008
Get to your doctor ASAP and determine what the rash is. If you can't get a quick appointment with your MD, go to an urgent care or drugstore clinic. It very well might be shingles. If so, you need to get anti-viral medication as early as possible, or it may not do any good. Shingles can be more painful, long-lasting, and debilitating than many people realize. People on a bulletin board can't diagnose your rash; you need to see your doctor.

Noel7126403182234868 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
I had shingles in my early 20s. It's very common for anyone who has ever had chicken pox.
It's usual to have some itching at first, burning and pain. If you have shingles, you'll know it. It breaks out into a rash and blisters.
I hope you don't have it, mine was really painful.
--
The calm before the storm grows now to thunder's song.
Gone are the singing birds, silently sigh only the trees.
Hear now the moment when the son of thunder speaks.

Insomnium

"Oh, mother country, I do love you."
John Stewart

Kzeks12640318764754 PostsRegistered 5/25/2006Michigan/Europe
Sounds like shingles symptoms...
Lots of Doctors misdiagnose the first
symptoms...One of my friends went to a
fairly good Hospital & they told her she
had a spider's bite...
It got worst so she went to another Hospital,
by then the rash had spread & she was told
that if she had taken care of herself at the
beginning of her symptoms it would not have
erupted to that extent...

GuardianAn­gel11264031925135 PostsRegistered 10/19/2009
I've had shingles across my upper body extending down to my waist. It was very painful, not so much of a burning sensation, just horrible pain. After 2 major surgeries from cancer, one on my neck and shoulder, the other on my back, according to my physician, my body had been under such stress this is the way it was responding to everything. It was just awful. Had to apply something several times a day for the pain, and bandages to cover it were a must. The thing I remember the most is the terrible pain it caused. It lasted about a week.
Good luck to you, hope your's is not that bad.

JuJu Squee­zey126403202814444 PostsRegistered 4/22/2009Space Coast FL
My skin felt like a sunburn.

Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a h ell-broth boil and bubble.
William Shakespeare

LaterGator126403273210083 PostsRegistered 1/9/2007
Thanks everyone. No urgent care here just ER and I'm not going there again. My dr. is closed today but I called for an appt. for tomorrow. I have to call again in the morning. Like I said, I called him a couple days ago with pain in my side that actually kept me up at night and without seeing me, they thought it was a muscal spasm. But since I was in the hosp. with pneumonia that would be enough of a trauma to bring them on I guess. I did have chicken pox when I was a kid and both my daughters had chicken pox when they were little.
I just noticed the rash this afternoon but I noticed my skin from my waist down to my groin was numb. Really stange feeling.
--

Judaline126403305415425 PostsRegistered 8/26/2006street of dreams
I've had a rash around my waist for months. It doesn't blister or hurt, it just itches. It looks like hives. It isn't the first time, either. It seems to pop up every few months, and there's no telling how long it hangs around. This couldn't be shingles, could it? Yes I've had chicken pox.

AnikaBrodie126403307614918 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008The NE state of mountains and valleys
I had shingles in 1996. I remember it well. Mine started as a suspected cold out of the blue. Then the rash and blisters started and this got much worse over a three day period. I was given several prescription pain medications, one stronger than the last to ease the awful pain -- like needles stabbing me around the left side of my waist front and back. I also developed long-term neuralgia from the shingles. My doctor told me it was one of the worst cases of shingles he'd ever seen.
Your description sounds like shingles. Make an appointment with your doctor now. The quicker they treat them the better off you will be.
--
The Silver Fox
"Give of your hands to serve, and your heart to love." Mother Theresa

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~
“... We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason..." (Anonymous)

bebeuser12640332652484 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007
Rover, hope it isn't shingles. A friend had shingles recently and I've never seen her in such pain!

doglover27­62126403364550 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007Wisconsin
I had laparoscopy surgery about 20 years ago, and when I went back to the Dr. for a check-up, he asked how long I had the round rash on the middle of my back; about the size of a silver dollar. I asked him what rash ??? I had no symptoms, pain or blisters. I had never heard of the shingles until I was diagnosed as having them. Doc said most likely caused by stress of having surgery?
Can the shingles come back???
--
doglover2762

doglover2762

SeaGal126403407612476 PostsRegistered 6/5/2007
Judaline, shingles hurt alot, like keep you awake at night hurt, so I would say no, yours doesn't sound like shingles but you should go to your derm. if you have one. They would probably prescribe some Rx strength cortisone crm or an ointment. ;-)
eta~ well heck, after eading doglovers post, maybe yours could e shingles, make yourself an appt. and have the area checked out.
I had them on the inside of my upper left arm and they hurt like he llo!!
--
Edited by SeaGal at 01/20/2010 3:39 PM PST

Last edited on 1/20/2010

Home of the 2014 NFL Champions
Go Hawks!

Noel7126403437534868 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
Ladies -
Apparently, if you haven't had shingles but HAVE had chicken pox, you should be able to get the vaccine for shingles.
Check with your MDs.
--
The calm before the storm grows now to thunder's song.
Gone are the singing birds, silently sigh only the trees.
Hear now the moment when the son of thunder speaks.

Insomnium

"Oh, mother country, I do love you."
John Stewart

croemer126403461873980 PostsRegistered 1/29/2009
yes Rover...then it began to burn like fire from the inside. get to the doctor if you suspect. timing is very important to healing. i didn't the first time and had it 6 months. it usually will spread rapidly. there are some patches that can be applied over it to numb so the pain will disappear.
--
~croemer~

"Normal is just a setting on the dryer."

Billie53126403468918955 PostsRegistered 2/9/2007VA
Good grief, Rover...what else is going to happen to you...?:|
Sounds very much like shingles and yes, you should get to your Dr asap so you can get the anti-viral medication...if you take it early, it will deter your symptoms and the length of time you have shingles...
My best to you...:-x
--
“God created man in His own image, says the Bible; philosophers reverse the process: they create God in theirs.”~ Georg Christoph Lichtenberg~

"Nobody can be kinder than the narcissist while you react to life in her own terms."

croemer126403478673980 PostsRegistered 1/29/2009
doglover...i have had them 3x....horrible each time. there is a vaccine to prevent them. darned if i keep forgetting to get one.
--
~croemer~

HoosierGirl1264035172576 PostsRegistered 5/2/2007
word of caution.....do not get the vaccine without talking to your doctor first!!!
it is a live vaccine, and if you have a suppressed immune system it could create serious problems!!
--
America's (tea) cup runneth over!!!
I am the HoosierGirl, and I approve this message! :)

I am the HoosierGirl, and I approve this message!!

LaterGator126403600210083 PostsRegistered 1/9/2007
> yes Rover...then it began to burn like fire from the
> inside. get to the doctor if you suspect. timing is
> very important to healing. i didn't the first time
> and had it 6 months. it usually will spread rapidly.
> there are some patches that can be applied over it to
> numb so the pain will disappear.
>
> --
> ~croemer~
croemer, that's exactly it. It was burning from the inside. I had to get up and take two pain pills in order to sleep the first night. That was 3 nights ago. The next night I took a pain pill before I went to bed and it was better. Last night it was better but now it's numb and I'm getting a rash. I willl see the doctor tomorrow.
--

LaterGator126403619010083 PostsRegistered 1/9/2007
> Good grief, Rover...what else is going to happen to
> you...?:|
>
> Sounds very much like shingles and yes, you should
> get to your Dr asap so you can get the anti-viral
> medication...if you take it early, it will deter your
> symptoms and the length of time you have shingles...
>
> My best to you...:-x
Thank you, Billie. I hope nothing more. At least I'm praying there's nothing more.
--

rondell126403700513373 PostsRegistered 12/17/2009USA
Rover, I'll say a prayer for you. My poor Dad had Shingles really bad. He cried from the pain! It had spread really fast and made a complete circle around his waist and spread to his hips. It took months to clear up, but the pain stayed for over a year, even though you could no longer see any evidence that anything had ever been there. God bless you, dear.

moxiebelle12640373911403 PostsRegistered 10/10/2009
> Did you get a rash and did it kind of burn and did
> your skin get numb? Did it feel like you had
> something inside your skin?
>
> I called my doctor with these symptoms and he said it
> was a muscle spasm but that was before I had the rash
> (it's very small) and the numbness.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> member of the comma club,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no
> more periods for me
I was in excruciating pain. Worse than childbirth.

"A grandchild fill a space in your heart that you never knew was empty."
Author: Unknown

missyw1126403791832077 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007
It's very painful and long lasting. I know 2 people close to me who have had it.

catlover4e­ver12640415171262 PostsRegistered 4/27/2009Colorado

---

Last edited on 6/11/2010

Last edited on 6/11/2010

Coincidence is when HE chooses to remain anonymous.

Meggie561264042171836 PostsRegistered 4/9/2009
Shingles travel along a nerve path. Mine were from the base of my skull and down around my neck on my right side. It was horrible.
Yes, I would rather go through childbirth than have the shingles. The pain was horrible when the blisters were open and continued after they were gone.
Good luck to you. Get some rest and relax as much as possible.
--
***originally Meggie21853***

***originally Meggie21853***

croemer126404396873980 PostsRegistered 1/29/2009
Rover...pleaseget to the doctor because the longer you wait the longer it may last. if you have them ask your doctor about Lidocaine patches they are applied over the rash and numb the area completely of pain. good luck!!
--
~croemer~

LaterGator126404563410083 PostsRegistered 1/9/2007
Thank you, croemer.:-x
I'm so tired of being sick.
--

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next