Early Access
154 Members and 12173 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Lung Cancer Awareness Month

Started 1320092421.027 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1320380596.927 by CardinalGirl_

In August of this year my mother broke her arm just by lifting it to open the garage door. After a trip to the ER, one x-ray and an MRI later, we discovered she had a large tumor growing in and around her arm bone. Within a week a biopsy was done and it concluded that she has lung cancer. Arm pain was her first and only symptom and was misdiagnosed as a pinched nerve for several months.

Unfortunately the cancer has spread and metastasized to other parts of her body. She is currently undergoing radiation treatment and will start chemotherapy next week. She is in a late stage of the cancer but we are all hopeful that given her age and overall good health, advancement of medicine, and her positive attitude, she will fight the statistics and beat this!

I felt the need to share this because frankly, if I saw one more pink ribbon I was going to scream. Lung cancer kills more people than breast, colon and prostate cancers combined. I'm not trying to offend anyone who has/had or knows someone with breast cancer but with only a 15% survival rate for lung cancer patients it's hard to replate. It is the deadliest form of cancer but only has1/3rd of the donations going into the research than breast cancer. The stigma associated with smoking and cancer is a major barrier to addressing the needs of people diagnosed with lung cancer.

A lot changes when you learn that someone you love is seriously ill, especially one of your parents. The day we found out everything changed for my family, and continues to everyday. My mom, who has always been strong, is now weak; her mind once sharp and full of answers and advice, is now full of questions and fears; her spirit, once full of laughter and liveliness, is now filled with unease and despair. But throughout this whole ordeal, she has kept the poise in which she’s known for, the grace that God blessed her with, and the hope that she needs (we all need), to keep going.

Please remember that November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month and do what you can to educate yourselves on this disease. And please keep my mom in your thoughts and prayers as every minute in every day she lives to fight this.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe

Page 1 of 1
Love Roses1320093125.7510267 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007

Your sharing will be a reminder to us all.

Never Forget - The Native American Indian Holocausts!

qvcaddition1320108617.6175563 PostsRegistered 6/30/2007

I pray for her to have strength spiritually and phycially. I pray for all of the family. Was she a smoker? I had three friends that had not smoked in thirty years and got lung cancer. The gene is there in all of us and we don't know what triggers it.

C and C Fo­rever1320118486.5731572 PostsRegistered 3/21/2010

I will keep you and your mom in my prayers. I agree that lung cancer needs more research and funding. Maybe something to promote chest X-rays, etc. just like they promote mammograms in October.

It will be 3 years ago that this horrible disease took my dear husband from me on November 13. We thought he had pneumonia and a few days of IV antibiotics would fix him right up. He did have pneumonia, but unfortunately it was caused by a large, inoperable tumor that was causing the fluid to build up in his lungs. It is truly devastating disease.

Cathy

In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing.

hckynut1320119162.7919411 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

BlondeMome­nt

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. One of my 3 sisters died at age 52 of cancer and it is certainly hard on everyone connected with that person. Her cancer started with breast cancer, but she died of cancer of the liver.

While I know Lung Cancer is the #1 killer at this time, it is not more than the combined number of the other 3: Breast/Prostate/Colon(not listed in mortality numbers).

I can add some good things to this sad thread about your mother. Prostate and Colon cancer are 2 of the most preventable forms of cancer. Colon cancer was the highest last time I checked, if only everyone of a certain age or genetic predisposition would get a Colonoscopy done BEFORE it is too late for many.

Same with Prostate exams. Men are less prone to have preventative tests(especially if they are invasive and through a body cavity), but many have much worse done after they find out they have cancer.

Wishing the best for your mother/yourself and your family.

hckynut(john)

JustMeMeli­ssa1320121567.35711655 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007Sweet Home Chicago...

Blondemoment,

I am so sorry about your mom...

THANK YOU for the awareness reminder as I lost my mom in 2005 to Lung cancer....She was 55...

ETA- to the rest of my fellow posters who have lost someone to this..HUGS!!

Last edited on 10/31/2011

Last edited on 10/31/2011

"Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow"
Nat King Cole

EMTHeart13

LaterGator1320126356.75310166 PostsRegistered 1/9/2007

I lost my dear sister-in-law last year just after Thanksgiving to lung cancer. Thank you for sharing your story and reminding us that November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month. I wasn't aware of this. There needs to be more research for lung cancer and more preventative measures taken.

I am a former smoker and my doctor does x-rays of my lungs once a year. I'm glad he does that.

RaeBooks1320129740.25320 PostsRegistered 7/14/2011

Lost my Dear , sweet , and the kindest women you ever want too know , Tamara Faye Bakker Messner ( Tammy Faye to most of us) too inoperable lung cancer on July 20 , 2007.

Tammy had come down with colon cancer in 1996 and beat it ,we thought for a long time.

Not so , she elected to not have any follow-up treatments on the surgery they did for her. I think if she would have had some form of radiation she would still be alive today.

Shes basically died of colon cancer that spread to her lungs. Never smoked a day in her life. I still miss her , she was a true angel to me in my life. I know shes in a better place than this world of pain down here gave her. She was just the most gentle person I ever had the honor of calling my friend. Miss you Lashes ( that's what I called her) You were one of a KIND!

She became my pen pal believe it or not when I was only 18 years of age . I will be 49 in 8 days. She was what I call a thoroughbred , not many of those around . Just my Mom and Tammy Faye.

I quit smoking 12 years ago this Thanksgiving 2011 and have never took another drag. Its just so Gross to me .

My prayers and thoughts will be with your darling Mother and her loving family. My own Mother is a 23 year BCS but I lost two of my aunts years ago ( on my Fathers side one to Breast cancer the other Lung Cancer)

If you have HBO try and watch "The Eduction of Dee Dee Ricks , it was wonderful. Very eye opening.

gidgetgoes­hawaiian1320138984.6210140 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Thanks for your post Blondemoment. My mother passed away from lung cancer in Febrary. The cancer went through her like a freight car passing a bum. It was horrible. She had not smoked in about 25 years. I've been watching for posts about your mom. I've been thinking about her.

beanie1320179035.3871394 PostsRegistered 2/14/2007

Blonde Moment, You have spoken exactly how I feel~ My mother died of lung cancer in 2005. She was misdiagnosed as well....her lower back ached and her doctor treated her by sending her for physical therapy. It wasn't until we went to the ER because she was so short of breath, that they determined that a lung had fluid that needed to be drained and then, of course, they found the tumor....it was stage (4). I have a friend who was diagnosed with cancer/tumor on her brain...she always asks for more awareness because she thinks breast cancer gets all the attention. I mean no offense to breast cancer survivors or victims (all cancers are evil) but I must say....even I wasn't aware this is Lung Cancer Awareness Month! What do wear to support it? Also want to mention that my Mom had breast cancer in 1997 was treated with chemo and radiation and took tomaxfin (sp) for 5 years....and was cancer free. The lung cancer metastasized from the breast...per her doctors :( So I am very aware of breast cancer and have empathy for those who have it...please don't think I don't. beanie

Shop Till ­you Drop1320181289.343755 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010TX

Thanks for the post..I lost my Dear Daddy to this vicious form of cancer. He had a terrible pain in his shoulder that ran down his chest. Two days later he was told he had stage 4 lung cancer and nine months later we lost him. This one really does need more attention and funding! Blessings to all that have dealt with this demon.

Joyeux Noe­lle1320181746.2771104 PostsRegistered 6/26/2008Roman Holiday

BlondeMoment, sorry about your Mom. Keeping a positive attitude will help both of you through this. Thanks for the reminder. My FIL passed from a brief battle with lung cancer. His only symptom was vertigo.

BlondeMome­nt1320183734.5388 PostsRegistered 6/30/2011Maryland

It was so touching reading your stories and I really appriciate all the kind thoughts, words and prayers. I spent about half the day googling and couldn't find too much information about Lung Cancer Awareness Month unfortunatly. However, one site said in honor of Lung Cancer Awareness Month, they will be illuminating Niagara Falls with white lights on November 16th (two wedsnsdays from now), from 8 to 8:15 and 9 to 9:15 EST. The links to see this are below...

http://www.niagarafallslive.com/american_falls_live_webcam.htm

http://www.niagarafallslive.com/Niagara_Falls_Webcam.htm

http://www.fallsviewcam.com/

I am so sorry to those of you who've had a loved one go through this and I appriciate you sharing your stories. I in no way meant to say that breast cancer isn't serious, just that there's a mugh higher fatality with lung cancer and how unfortunate it is that not as much awareness, research and funding go into it. I will keep looking to see if there's any more information on the month. I do know some cancer centers offer free chest screenings for the month.

On another note: My mom has been hanging in there. She finished radiation on her brain tumors last week--she had to be taken to the ER a week and a half ago and was admitted to the hospital because of brain swelling that affected her speech which was scary but okay now. And she is finishing up radiation on her arm this week and got a PET scan today which will show us if/where else the cancer has spread and will finally start chemo next week. This whole ordeal has been very hard on all of us but I can't imagine what my mom is thinking and feeling. She still has a bit of a wall up and passes things off like they're okay to her cowokers and friends but that's just her way of coping. I hope she will open up to us when she's ready and most of all keep her faith.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe

BlondeMome­nt1320355125.58388 PostsRegistered 6/30/2011Maryland

Found a great website that lists events for Lung Cancer Awareness Month in different states. I plan on walking the 5k in D.C on Sunday :)

http://www.lungcancerevents.org/

— Marilyn Monroe

C and C Fo­rever1320379133.011572 PostsRegistered 3/21/2010

BlondeMoment, I'm glad your mom is hanging in there. Please give her a hug from me--just tell her it is from a friend she didn't know she had :o)

To the person who asked about the lung cancer symbol--It is a white (usually pearlized white) ribbon.

(((HUGS to everyone who has been touched by cancer of ANY kind)))

Cathy

In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing.

CardinalGi­rl_1320380596.9276667 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

I'm sorry about your mother, and I'll be sure and remember her in my prayers tonight.

However, was it really necessary to include the line "if I saw one more pink ribbon I was going to scream"? I know you stated that you weren't trying to offend anyone, but you did--very much.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Page 1 of 1