TSV(R) Preview
154 Members and 16377 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Would you buy a mattress from Big Lots?

Started 1318422536.64 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1318479471.49 by straitgirl

I posted the other day about shopping for a new mattress and how confusing it is. I know that Big Lots sells mattresses so I thought I would check out their website to see what they have. The have a Serta Perfect Sleeper Hamilton Park king size mattress for $769! That's about half (or less than) the price of most of the mattresses I've seen!

As someone mentioned before, I believe companies may slap different covers on their mattresses, etc., making it very difficult to price compare. I'm just wondering about this mattress from Big Lots. It's a fantastic price, but do you think it would be of good quality. Of course my first thought is it is probably junk, as it is sold at Big Lots, but then I'm not so sure about that. Don't get me wrong, I shop at Big Lots quite often, it's just that I had never considered buying a mattress there until now.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2
brii1318422577.18324191 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008

Probably not.

Magik Trix1318422663.7929 PostsRegistered 10/11/2011

As a matter of fact I was thinking about buying one from there myself.

Shelbelle1318422959.4534719 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Perhaps for a spare bedroom, but not one for intensive use.

Qwackertoo1318423238.21310629 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006

I don't think I'd buy a higher ticket item that I planned on keeping as long as I would a mattress at a store like Big Lots.

I'm going to check out Sear's that someone posted about. I see TONS of ads on craigslist in my area for NEW mattresses but they post like half a dozen times a day so I don't trust them to buy from plus they are annoying as heck ruining the furniture category with their spam.

I found a king sized mahogany bed on craigslist this past weekend. We were wanting to upgrade from queen to king but my furniture was discontinued many years ago and I didn't want to have to buy all new casegood pieces . . . but this finish matches almost PERFECT . . . . I took one of the smaller drawers with me . . . and boy was my husband impressed with my shopping "prowess" when he looked up the number on the headboard and found it retails for about 5800.00 although you can pick it up for between 3200-4000K for JUST THE BED. WOW, I"m never that lucky and got it for 275.00 . . . plus 40 miles there and back in the u-g-l-y OLD pickup truck we only drive to get mulch in every other year, that was the worst part. LOL

Qwackertoo1318423239.1610629 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006

oops double post

Last edited on 10/12/2011

KZoo1318423398.1131942 PostsRegistered 1/26/2010

as long as it was a reputable dealer and the merchandise was of quality, why not?..

Walmart.com sells mattresses, but not sets...... which is exactly what I need, I only need a mattress not a box spring, invested in a bed frame that relaces a box spring and works like a platform bed, LOVE IT!. Anyway most of the big chains do, so why not ??? ...do your reaserach. I know the next time I am in the market I will check out those sites........ps, they deliver to your door too.

-Donna

when all is said and done........will you have said more than done?

JuJu Squee­zey1318423524.22314444 PostsRegistered 4/22/2009Space Coast FL

Sure I would, there's no reason on this earth that mattresses should cost what they do. A mattress doesn't contain any materials that need a high end price to be comfortable. This is just like eye glasses, when a frame costs more than 20 bucks somebody is getting hosed and somebody's going to the bank with a smile.

Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a h ell-broth boil and bubble.
William Shakespeare

missyw11318423575.3632399 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

yes

They have nice pieces of furniture, especially their couches/loveseats.

One of my relatives has a couch from there.

mommadukes­_kw1318428215.43435 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009upstate, new york

No, I wouldn't! If you are looking to buy one inexpensively, sams club has serta or sealy mattresses of all sizes.

We bought our mattress at raymor and flannigans 4 years ago. Its a Stearns and Foster top notch king size bed and paid $3500 for it and don't regret it one bit. We love our bed, I believe you get what you pay for.

CardinalGi­rl_1318428406.886766 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

My mom bought her mattress set at Big Lots about three years ago and is still very happy with it.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

LipstickDi­va1318428760.9638652 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I wonder why it's there? Does Big Lots have it because it was an overstock or was it made especially for Big Lots? That would make a huge difference to me.

I would be very leary also of buying anything from Sam's Club for the simple fact that if you cancel your membership, Sam's will no longer stand behind their products. I found that out first hand with tires I bought for my car from Sam's Club. Never again.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

missyw11318429006.27332399 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007
On 10/12/2011 Queen of Posts said:

I wonder why it's there? Does Big Lots have it because it was an overstock or was it made especially for Big Lots? That would make a huge difference to me.

I would be very leary also of buying anything from Sam's Club for the simple fact that if you cancel your membership, Sam's will no longer stand behind their products. I found that out first hand with tires I bought for my car from Sam's Club. Never again.

This is what the Q does.

mommadukes­_kw1318429289.757435 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009upstate, new york

Oh! didn't know that, Thanks.

kdgn1318429359.9813349 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/12/2011 sue98 said:

I posted the other day about shopping for a new mattress and how confusing it is. I know that Big Lots sells mattresses so I thought I would check out their website to see what they have. The have a Serta Perfect Sleeper Hamilton Park king size mattress for $769! That's about half (or less than) the price of most of the mattresses I've seen!

Why wouldn't you take advantage of this deal? You know the name of the manufacturer, the model of the mattress so it's not some off-brand that won't last a year. Places like Big Lots take advantage of overstocking or products that haven't sold. It's along the same lines as something from other discount stores like Marshall's or Ross.

VioletEyes1318429375.5813180 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009

Absolutely NOT.

I would be terribly afraid it had been refurbished.

LipstickDi­va1318429460.0938652 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio
On 10/12/2011 MissyW1 said:

This is what the Q does.

I stay clear of anything made especially for QVC.

kdgn1318429508.9813349 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

II would be very leary also of buying anything from Sam's Club for the simple fact that if you cancel your membership, Sam's will no longer stand behind their products. I found that out first hand with tires I bought for my car from Sam's Club. Never again.

You voided their warranty by cancelling your membership. If the tires are from a well-known manufacturer you should be able to deal with them directly.

edited to add:

VE- I believe a refurbished mattress has to state that it's been refurbished.

LipstickDi­va1318429543.27738652 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

How does one refurbish a mattress? If it was refurbished, they would have to tell you that.

I've seen refurbished things in Big Lots like sweepers, carpet scrubbers, etc. They always reveal that fact.

Peachysue1318429642.2413662 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We stay clear of anything made specifically for QVC too.. take note, at the Wally they have Mr. Coffee's made esp for them, it's on the bottom.. we had one it's a wonder it didn't go up in flames.. Just my opinion but I believe things made for certain stores are a couple deviations from top of the line.. we got our first Select Comfort from the Q, never again, it's nothing like in the stores and when we replace it, it will come from the source..

Go VOLS.. Go Big Orange ...

VioletEyes1318429764.5513180 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009

How does one refurbish a mattress? If it was refurbished, they would have to tell you that.

I've seen refurbished things in Big Lots like sweepers, carpet scrubbers, etc. They always reveal that fact.

A few years ago I read that some company was selling refurbished mattresses and not telling their customers. With the way companies are today, I just wouldn't trust buying a mattress from anywhere but a retailer I had confidence in.

LipstickDi­va1318429766.15338652 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio
On 10/12/2011 kdgn said:

II would be very leary also of buying anything from Sam's Club for the simple fact that if you cancel your membership, Sam's will no longer stand behind their products. I found that out first hand with tires I bought for my car from Sam's Club. Never again.

You voided their warranty by cancelling your membership. If the tires are from a well-known manufacturer you should be able to deal with them directly.

I paid for and bought the tires when I had a Sam's membership. In a very short amount of time, the belts in 2 of the tires broke. Nowhere on my receipt or the warranty info. I rec'd when the tires were purchased did it say I had to keep my membership with Sam's or the warranty was voided. They could have and should have replaced the tires as the warranty indicated. The manager at Sam's told me if I wanted to buy another membership, they would "slip" the warranty work under my new membership so obviously they have ways of working around things.

LipstickDi­va1318429970.29738652 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio
On 10/12/2011 Suzie said:

We stay clear of anything made specifically for QVC too.. take note, at the Wally they have Mr. Coffee's made esp for them, it's on the bottom.. we had one it's a wonder it didn't go up in flames.. Just my opinion but I believe things made for certain stores are a couple deviations from top of the line.. we got our first Select Comfort from the Q, never again, it's nothing like in the stores and when we replace it, it will come from the source..

Interesting. I believe the GE bulbs sold at WM are made especially for them too and they are garbage. I bought a pack of chandelier bulbs and the packaging struck me a little odd because it was very generic looking and not the way I remember GE bulbs being packaged.

No lie, within 1 week every bulb had burned out. After 2 bulbs I thought it was my socket in the ceiling fan so I moved bulbs around but the new GE bulb burned out of every socket I put it in. The final bulb literally blew out of the socket!

I ran to Home Depot to get more bulbs and they also carry GE and the packaging was in fact totally different than the WM packaging. I will never buy bulbs from WM again.

Peachysue1318430215.05313662 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Queen, now the tv I have in my office, a Vizio, came from WM and so far so good but small appliances and such, no way would we ever purchase them again.. I know they've got good prices but their products aren't the top of the line.. wow I'll remember your adventure with lightbulbs, very interesting..

Go VOLS.. Go Big Orange ...

kdgn1318432152.50713349 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Very interesting about the lightbulbs! Guess who has been buying GE bulbs from Walmart and watching them not last as long as the package indicates?? The Reveal packaging looks the same as what I've bought at Lowe's but not some of the newer lightbulbs.

Qwackertoo1318432289.79710629 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006

I love the Reveal bulbs but I swear we go through more lightbulbs than the law allows! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Maybe I'll try buying the next batch at the Home Depot. I usually buy at Wal-Mart or Lowe's.

Page 1 of 2