Respected Contributor

Has anyone's husband retired and does nothing but watch tv? Do you almost despise him?

When I was home not working or even working part time I did everything around the house. He had to do nothing but chew his own food but now the tables are turned and he is retired and does nothing at home but watch tv and sit on his fat butt playing computer games. He said he was going to get a part time job but I now believe he will never work again. I work 30 hours at least a week and stand on my feet all day and when I come home and the place is dirty I could just scream and get into a bad mood and start yelling. He has no friends, very little family and no hobbies and is overweight and has a neck injury. We went to two retirement seminars and the speaker said that he has known people who have been married many many years who get a divorce when the husband retires. I now know what they mean. I have no alone time at home and the tv is blaring all the time. If I could do it financially I would be out of here. Anyone else have this problem?

Re: Has anyone's husband retired and does nothing but watch tv? Do you almost despise him?

Yes mine has been retired 3 years and just sits all day with his hands together and fingers intertwined.  I knew this is what he was going to do, I didn't want him to retire for this reason.  I have no alone time unless i go somewhere, i volunteer at Hospice Thrift Store.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone's husband retired and does nothing but watch tv? Do you almost despise him?

Hopefully @chiclet spouse has gotten off the couch and more since this post is 8 years old (from 2011)!!!

LOL 

@MEMA05