Esteemed Contributor

2 QUESTIONS -- NEW TO VERA BRADLEY

I am new to Vera Bradley and have two concerns. I recently ordered the Little Mandy handbag from the Vera Bradley website and I love it. It is the perfect size for me. I like it so much that I ordered 3 more from Vera Bradley, and 1 from Zulily. This design is being discontinued.

Well after using one of the new purses for less than a week, I noticed that the cross-way stitching (for quilting) on one of the handles had come loose. I have pieces of thread hanging off the top of the handle. I called customer service at Vera Bradley and they emailed me a label to return it to them. But unfortunately that pattern is sold out. So I guess I will try to fix it myself and keep it. But I am wondering -- is this a common problem? Does the stitching on the handles come loose? I guess I could see after using the purse for a long time, but this was literally after 5 days of light use.

My next concern is with the cardboard bottoms on the purses and totes. What if you spill something in your purse or tote, or get caught in the rain, and the cardboard gets all wet. I would think it would warp and weaken the cardboard. Has that ever happened to anyone? Has anyone every covered the cardboard with something like shelf paper?

Thanks for your responses.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Super Contributor

Re: 2 QUESTIONS -- NEW TO VERA BRADLEY

Welcome, Puppy Lips! I haven't had any problems with the stitching on the handles coming loose. My bags have lasted for a really long time and still look great. That being said, I do have way too many of them so they get rotated often.

My purses have gotten wet in the rain, but not wet enough to ruin the cardboard at the bottom. One time when I had taken the cardboard out to wash a purse I accidentally threw the cardboard away. I just replaced it with another piece of cardboard that I cut to size. It worked just fine. I don't know if you can cover the cardboard with shelf paper. It's a pretty tight fit already.

Sorry to hear you had a problem with your bag. I don't know if you live near an outlet store. I have seen lots of Little Mandys there. Ebay is another good option. HTH

Honored Contributor

There is cardboard in the bottom of the bags? Really?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Ok I just looked in the bottom of my Get Carried Away tote. This is just really disappointing. I thought the stiff bottom was a thin but heavy plastic, but it's not. It's freaking cardboard. Who was the genius that decided on that? Not happy about this.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

On 9/18/2014 jaxs mom said:

Ok I just looked in the bottom of my Get Carried Away tote. This is just really disappointing. I thought the stiff bottom was a thin but heavy plastic, but it's not. It's freaking cardboard. Who was the genius that decided on that? Not happy about this.

My guess would be they use cardboard because it's lightweight & cheap. You could probably replace it in your bag with a piece of plastic if you wanted to.

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised that they would be using cardboard. I thought all their bags were washable.

Respected Contributor

On 9/18/2014 Krimpette said:

I'm surprised that they would be using cardboard. I thought all their bags were washable.

The cardboard pieces are usually removable and the bags have instructions to be sure to remove it before washing.

I have lots of Vera bags and have had no problems with stitching coming loose. However, my friend did have a problem with a hipster bag. I thought maybe that she was carrying too much in it but she could have just gotten a defective bag.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/18/2014 Roni18 said:
On 9/18/2014 Krimpette said:

The cardboard pieces are usually removable and the bags have instructions to be sure to remove it before washing.

I have lots of Vera bags and have had no problems with stitching coming loose. However, my friend did have a problem with a hipster bag. I thought maybe that she was carrying too much in it but she could have just gotten a defective bag.

Thank you for all your replies. She may have received a defective bag like I did. I was not carrying too much. I was just putting it over my shoulder while wearing t-shirts, so it's not like I was putting the straps over sequins or beading or zippers or something that might cut through the treads. I have moved to another Little Mandy and will try to repair the first one somehow, or at least fix it so it does not get worse.

I really like these bags and all of a sudden they are my new obsession. If you would have asked me 6 months ago if I would carry a flowered purse, I would have said, "No way." But the Little Mandy is just the right size and lightweight. I always had such a hard time finding a leather purse (or any purse for that matter). They are so big with heavy hardware and so many dividers and such. I am trying to keep my life simple! So I jumped on the Vera Bradley band wagon just as my favorite style is discontinued. So I bought enough of them to last me awhile! I hope they will have a similar style to this one in the future.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

I have never had problems with the VB bags and I have 40 or more. I always make sure to take out the bottom when I wash. They are being made in China now, so that could account for her handle problem. My friend had that happen and won't buy anymore VB. I have so many bags and always change them out and I think thats why they're in great shape. I started buying them in 1988..still love them too! Some of the stores where I bought them stopped, when they changed to China. I heard they had problems finding vendors here for their fabric.

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/21/2014 graceandmercy said:

I have never had problems with the VB bags and I have 40 or more. I always make sure to take out the bottom when I wash. They are being made in China now, so that could account for her handle problem. My friend had that happen and won't buy anymore VB. I have so many bags and always change them out and I think thats why they're in great shape. I started buying them in 1988..still love them too! Some of the stores where I bought them stopped, when they changed to China. I heard they had problems finding vendors here for their fabric.

Just curious to know when they started making them in China. Since I am new to VB, all mine are made in China. I did not know they were ever made in the US. Is this a recent change or was in years ago?