Esteemed Contributor

Be Careful of Vera "Made for the Outlets"

I was talking to one of the salespeople from the Vera outlet on the phone. I decided it was better for me to place my order on the phone to take advantage of the Labor Day sales. Less temptation and a lot less standing on line and beating the crowds.

I ordered a Large Duffel and she told me that they now carry "Made for the Outlets" items, which are not exactly the same as what you get in the store. She said that on the outside it looks the same, BUT the inside is just plain solid fabric (in this case black), and not that pretty contrasting fabric pattern. I think it was Cocoa Moss but I can't be sure.

She told me that more and more Made for the Outlets will be coming out as we get closer to the holidays.

I guess some people wouldn't care if the inside was solid, but I wouldn't want it. I love the contrasting patterns! I guess they're starting to make stuff on the cheap. Not good.

Also, I had ordered a few items from the Vera website, and I received my first plastic bag order. No box, just a plastic bag in the Fanfare pattern. My items were stuffed in like sausages.

Have any of you gotten your Vera items in plastic bags yet? Again, another obvious cost-saving measure that doesn't make me happy.

Also, I will be returning the Carryall Crossbody I purchased in Cobalt Blue. It's very pretty but when I looked inside, there were only two unquilted slip pockets. I am going to stick with my usual On the Go Crossbody which has all the quilted pockets I need plus a zipper inside and outside. So much for the Carryall Crossbody.

I guess I could talk about Vera Bradley all night, but sleep is calling.

Have sweet dreams!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Contributor

Re: Be Careful of Vera ""Made for the Outlets""

I am so sad to hear that Vera Bradley is changing so much, and not for the better: making cheap stuff for outlets and all these leather and faux leather items.

Also noticed on last order that quality starting to slip like others have said (on Vera totes I ordered quilted stitching on handles not good, lots of loose threads to clip.)

They are alienating their base, loyal customers and going after different demographic. They discontinued my favorite bag (Laura) with no attempt to replace with anything similar (to busy going in a new direction.)

I recieved my birthday coupon and will purchase with that, but after that, I am most likely done ( I have enough Vera items to open my own store anyway).

Vera Bradley has brought in new blood to fix things; that usually means disaster. They will ruin Vera Bradley just like JC Penney was ruined when they alienated their customers.

I am still getting my orders in boxes, except for 1 small item that came in a bag in April.

Not good to put expensive purses in plastic bags to get crushed.

Esteemed Contributor

One good thing is what's currently 'made for outlets' is obvious with the solid color interior. I know when other brands (like Gap, for instance) make for outlets it's a bit more difficult to tell.

My most recent Vera order came from the ebay sale- each item was in a plastic bag and everything was in a Vera shipping box. It was fine for my needs- but before doing bill to/ship to ensured a really nice presentation when a gift arrived to your recipient.

I've only been collecting Vera for a couple years- and the big difference I've seen already is organization in the pieces. Less interior and exterior pockets. Plus zipper top on totes (especially!!) and bags. No top zipper is a complete deal breaker for me!

Esteemed Contributor

I buy directly from the Vera Bradley online site. Wondering what will come this time around. I use some for gifts (good prices) when sales happen. I also buy on Ebay new, hopefully. So far no problems. But I guess my turn will come. I only buy travel-like things. I do not have handbags (purses).

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/1/2014 bonnielu said:

I buy directly from the Vera Bradley online site. Wondering what will come this time around. I use some for gifts (good prices) when sales happen. I also buy on Ebay new, hopefully. So far no problems. But I guess my turn will come. I only buy travel-like things. I do not have handbags (purses).

This package I received in a plastic mailing bag was from the Vera site. It's the first time it's happened. I've heard that QVC ships their Vera bags in their plastic mailing bags but I wouldn't expect any different. But, I'm used to the Vera box with the tissue paper and the seal. About a year ago the Vera site discontinued the pretty, glossy white signature gift boxes, and began sending out the items in cardboard cartons but they were lined in pretty colors. Before that, Vera site used to send pretty white gift boxes with the tissue paper. I felt like I was opening a gift. Another small change. On the sleeve with the invoice, there used to be a green Vera signature and now it's just a plain embossed signature. That means nothing except they're cutting every which way they can.

This is not a good omen.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

If the smaller changes make a difference they need in the bottom line, maybe they won't continue with many bigger changes. We just need to be aware of those changes and purchase accordingly.

Hopefully anyway!!

Super Contributor

I say buy all the quality, older styles now,when we can, because the quality may decline in the future. This will lead us possibly regretting our favorite bags...it's a sad turn for VBSmiley Sad((
Honored Contributor

Most items sold at outlet stores are made specifically for the outlet so I'm not surprised to see Vera going this way.

Coach, Kate Spade, GAP, Ann Taylor.....all sell items made specifically for their outlet locations.