New Contributor
I'm tired of people pronouncing cotton as "cah-en". The lady representing Vera Bradley has been doing it all day! This pronunciation cam about when some teenager thought it would be cute to talk like a baby. The girl for keurig says "buh-en" for button. Don't they realize how stupid they sound? Thoughts.....anyone......
Contributor

Re: How to pronounce ""cotton""

I guess I must "talk like a baby" because when I say the word cotton, the T sound is not distinct. Perhaps it is an area dialect. I see nothing wrong with the way I pronounce cotton, and I have been doing it for 54 years or so in upstate New York.

Esteemed Contributor

I have to say I didn't notice....

Super Contributor

On 7/17/2014 lilmopeep said:

I guess I must "talk like a baby" because when I say the word cotton, the T sound is not distinct. Perhaps it is an area dialect. I see nothing wrong with the way I pronounce cotton, and I have been doing it for 54 years or so in upstate New York.

I agree. I'm from the South, and everyone I know says "cah-en", without any emphasis on the T.

Respected Contributor

My first thought is it won't be a minute before some post how you are too picky,you need to stop watching,etc. My second thought is I totally agree with you!! It gets on my nerves and it sounds silly. Marilyn Torres (who is with Susan Graver) and Dennis Basso says buh-ens too. I'm also from the south and everyone I know pronounces the "t" in cotton..we just drawl out the word like caahT-un.

Frequent Contributor

I live in the south and don't know anyone who pronounces it that way. It sounds weird to me that way, but its like an accent....always sounds different to the ear...i think it might be a regional thing....like people from Boston with their R's.
Honored Contributor

Jagit'knee? cah-un?

(Did you get any coTTon?)

Super Contributor

On 7/17/2014 Sooner said:

Jagit'knee? cah-un?

(Did you get any coTTon?)

LOL!!! I live in a rural area, and that's exactly how everyone sounds here!

Super Contributor

Jazyjuju, I see that you only have 2 posts listed. Makes me think you have other names on this board. Happens all the time.

I would not call out anyone's pronounciation (sp) of any word. This country has many regional dialects and I think its very rude to say what you did.

JMHO

Respected Contributor

On 7/17/2014 Colonel Meow said:
On 7/17/2014 lilmopeep said:

I agree. I'm from the South, and everyone I know says "cah-en", without any emphasis on the T.

I am from the south & do NOT talk like that.

I noticed Marilyn that subs for Susan Graver does the same thing. Butt-n=button & Cott-n=cotton. Dennis Basso also does it.