Honored Contributor

JK Simmons and the Oscar and Farmers Insurance Commercials

I was thinking about how quickly things can change in this country. Just months ago JK Simmons was the guy who was just doing Farmers Insurance commercials.

Then suddenly he's known as an Oscar contender.

I was also thinking about I'll bet if he keeps making those commercials I'll bet he gets paid a whole lot more money for them.

Man! You gotta love this country! I do!

Trusted Contributor

Re: JK Simmons and the Oscar and Farmers Insurance Commercials

JK Simmons has been in tons of stuff, not just insurance commercials. I think he is a terrific actor and I loved him in Juno. I also loved him in Whiplash and I hope he wins.

Honored Contributor

Exactly! He's been a very good actor for a very long time.

I've been a fan since OZ. He played THE most horrifically horrible horrid (seriously!) awful character in OZ. I like him both in drama and comedy. Oh, well, in those Farmers commercials too. Smiley Happy

He was in a couple of extremely short-lived sitcoms very recently. One was with Leah Remini and the other with - oh geez, I can't remember her name. She played Dharma in 'Dharma and Greg'. This memory thing is frustrating.

Respected Contributor

On 2/12/2015 chickenbutt said:

Exactly! He's been a very good actor for a very long time.

I've been a fan since OZ. He played THE most horrifically horrible horrid (seriously!) awful character in OZ. I like him both in drama and comedy. Oh, well, in those Farmers commercials too. Smiley Happy

He was in a couple of extremely short-lived sitcoms very recently. One was with Leah Remini and the other with - oh geez, I can't remember her name. She played Dharma in 'Dharma and Greg'. This memory thing is frustrating.

Jenna Elfman. I liked that show "Growing Up Fisher.' Too bad it didn't last. Only saw "Family Tools" with Leah once.

Esteemed Contributor

He has hardly been doing just the Farmer's commercials. He has been acting for decades. So no overnight sensation, although it might seem that way.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

I'm always happy when actors who've been at it for a long time finally get recognized. I remember seeing him on other shows.

He's one of those actors who are always there supporting the 'pretty boys' and other actors but not getting recognition.

Anyway, I guess (not surprised) I could have worded it a little differently. I guess I was saying that he's so delighted (and understandably so) to be recognized for his acting abilities and I'm delighted he's recognized.

I'd like to see more old(er) actors recognized.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought it was him in the Farmer's commercials!!!

I loved him in Juno, as Juno's father.

I haven't seen him in much else, but I bet I'll be seeing more of him now.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

He did a great acting job on an episode of Nip/Tuck many years ago.

Trusted Contributor

Yep. He's been around for ages, paid his dues, and had many other good roles. I'm glad he's getting some recognition, too.

Honored Contributor

On 2/13/2015 Shelbelle said:

He did a great acting job on an episode of Nip/Tuck many years ago.

Ooh, I somewhat recently watched all of Nip/Tuck on Netflix and don't even remember that one. (well, I don't remember much of anything) Going to have to IMDb him and find that episode to watch again. Loved that show and was sad when I was getting toward the end.