Trusted Contributor

A Little Reminiscing--Did You Watch American Bandstand?

Who was your favorite couple? Mine were Justine Carelli and Bob Clayton.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: A Little Reminiscing--Did You Watch American Bandstand?

I can't remember the couple's names but I can almost visualize them. I watched them from the time they first came on. Remember: "easy to dance to, I'll give it a 7"?

My late husband grew up on the East Coast in the same state I did. We'd talk for hours about the old shows we used to watch.

He and I agreed that our love of dancing came from watching American Bandstand.

Honored Contributor

I watched about 5 minutes of it ...... same old, same old ..... blah. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Honored Contributor

Tink, the OP is talking about when we were kids way back in the early 60's watching American Bandstand on black and white TV's.

We'd all rush home from school and watch it. It came on at (I think) 3:30 in the afternoon.

Valued Contributor

I was pretty young when AB broadcast from Philadelphia. I remember it more so after it moved to California. Don't really remember specific couples. I do remember a girl with very long hair who I thought resembled Cher. I think her name might've been Marsha.

Trusted Contributor

Was a big fan back in the 50's when it was just called Band Stand. Hosted by Bob Horn who was fired when he was involved in a big s#x scandal. Mr. Clark then took over. Don't remember the names of all the "regulars" except for Jerry Blavett who became a dj in Philly known as The Geeter with the Heater lol. They were located at 45th & Market in Philly and I was not allowed to go because it was, according to my mother, "not a nice neighborhood :-(.

Tink - it was high school kids dancing - what did you expect? However, they did have big name guests and quite a few singers got their start there, Frankie Avalon, Fabian, Chubby Checkers, Bobby Rydell etc. Annabelle - I watched in the 50's - I am really really old lol.

Chlemma

Trusted Contributor

Sorry, was not allowed to use Mr. Clark's first name {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Respected Contributor

As a teenage I was never in to pop culture even way back than...

it offended my soul I can not answer why but the spirit within me cringe

This is not to be rude to others but we were all made different which in

the scheme of things will always be a mystery how come some feel one way or another

but it seems like the tolerance and only be tolerance with those like them, and there

is no room for those who are different... Over all in D...ick Clark life I really like him.

Compared today it was wholesome....

Honored Contributor

OMG, I watched it for the music groups, not the couples dancing, watched every Saturday morning!

Respected Contributor

Always watched Shindig first and then American Bandstand.