Super Contributor

I love Modern Family, but watching it this last Wednesday, there were some things that really,really bothered me. First of all, after celebrating the eldest daughter's 21st birthday by drinking at a bar for a couple of hours, she is presented with a new car as a gift. She then drives off in that new car-after drinking for a couple of hours. Nice message, ABC! Also, what is the world did that kid ever, ever do to deserve a brand new car? WOuldn't a nice used car been more apporpriate?

Esteemed Contributor
Your,'re watching MODERN FAMILY, need I say more?
Respected Contributor
I totally agree with you. Bad form, and such a dangerous message ABC!
Respected Contributor
I agree about the drinking but they have enough money to afford the car and it was probably product placement
Honored Contributor

We bought both our kids new cars before they were 20, it was a necessity for them as well as for us. They were both very responsible. My DH does not believe in buying used cars, if possible.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't care so much about the fact that they bought a new car, but I had the same thought about the drinking and driving!! In general, I didn't love the entire episode. Not one of their best.

Esteemed Contributor
She was the same kid that got kicked out of school. I think the whole show is stupid.
Valued Contributor
On 12/14/2014 ccassaday said: She was the same kid that got kicked out of school. I think the whole show is stupid.

Then don't WATCH it!

Trusted Contributor

If I remember correctly, the character had one drink. She did not spend two hours drinking. After consuming the drink, she had a serious talk with her mother and Gloria, played darts, and then went to the tattoo studio. To imply that the character was, in any way, drunk or had spent two hours drinking is a n exaggeration, at best. As the character consumed no more alcohol than the adults at the bar, I am puzzled that the OP has no issue with their alcohol consumption as they, too, would be driving.

Additionally. what is the problem with the parents purchasing a car? Why does the OP even care?

This is all nothing but a silly argument about a fictional television show -- a show that can easily be turned off if the OP has a problem.

Trusted Contributor

Send an email to the network.