Trusted Contributor

Should I choose HBO or Showtime?

I have enough $ to get ONE of these for a couple of months over the winter-which one do you recommend?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should I choose HBO or Showtime?

Showtime! I like Homeland, Shameless, Masters and Secks, and many other programs. Great movies, too.
Honored Contributor

HBO has more channels. If you can look up the shows on each selection, you'll see which shows you prefer. I like Homeland also, but HBO has more channels to choose from. Check it out as to your preferences.

Honored Contributor

HBO for sure. I dont care for any of the Showtime series.

Honored Contributor

That's a tough one if it's just for the next two months. A lot of shows are in hiatus right now.

I wouldn't want to be without EITHER but if I had to choose one, for just two months, I'd probably choose HBO. As others have said, there are a LOT of HBO channels now.

Respected Contributor

If you have Directv, they are currently offering, to existing customers who want to upgrade, HBO for $17.99/month with SHO free for 3 months. You can cancel after 3 months with no penalty. I just did it 5 minutes ago. ETA----I was also offered just HBO with a $5 discount for 3 months or all of the movie channels for $25/month for 3 months.
Respected Contributor

That might be tough. I have always had HBO and sometimes I watch it a lot and sometimes not. I really like the fact that they show a newly released movie every Saturday night and since I don't rent movies it's one I haven't seen before and usually pretty good.

I would like both but I barely have time to watch all the shows now on the other channels.

Honored Contributor

Since we have HBO, I'd go with that, I think they have more series type programs than SHO, but I would love to have both!

Honored Contributor

I have HBO and have also wanted Showtime but my bill is high enough so I only have one. A lot of shows I watch have ended so I am rethinking my choice.
Respected Contributor

I would go for HBO. I like Homeland and Nurse Jackie but that's about all I watch on Showtime. HBO has more to offer.