Super Contributor

MIKE & MOLLY To Replace THE MILLERS On Monday; Will MOM Stay On Thursday?

by Nellie Andreeva DEADLINE.com November 17, 2014 4:15pm

melissa-mccarthy-mike-and-molly-s4-premiere

As expected, CBS has summoned veteran Mike & Molly to fill the hole left by Friday’s cancellation of sophomore comedy The Millers. Somewhat surprisingly, Mike & Molly will premiere its fifth season in just three weeks, on December 8, leaving little time for a meaningful promotional campaign and launching just as most series are going on a holiday hiatus. To help build awareness for Mike & Molly‘s return, CBS will air four back-to-back reruns of the show from 8-10 PM the previous Monday, December 1. The series starring Melissa McCarthy and Billy Gardell will begin airing in the Monday 8:30 PM slot the week after, leading into Scorpion.

Mom

CBS is not commenting on how the scheduling of Mike & Molly might impact the network’s existing plans for sophomore Mom. Under a fall swap, Mom traded places with The Millers, with Mom slated to return to the Monday 8:30 PM slot on January 5. It looks doubtful that CBS would launch Mike & Molly on Monday for a four-week run over the holidays and then take it off for Mom, so it looks like the Anna Faris-Allison Janney starrer might stick around on Thursdays for a little longer than originally expected.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MIKE & MOLLY To Replace THE MILLERS On Monday; Will MOM Stay On Thursday?

I like the Millers better than Mom. Too much s@x talk every week for an 8:30 show.

Respected Contributor

I agree and Two Broke Girls has totally lost me. it is all overt raunchy S-X Talk. And the dark headed broke girl cannot act.
Honored Contributor

I just recently started watching Mike & Molly on reruns on FX and some other channel. I didn't realize how hilarious this show is. Mike's mother leaves me in stitches. I noticed all of the reruns I am seeing though are from 2007 and 2008 so I'm not sure how the show has progressed.

Super Contributor

On 11/18/2014 LipstickDiva said:

I just recently started watching Mike & Molly on reruns on FX and some other channel. I didn't realize how hilarious this show is. Mike's mother leaves me in stitches. I noticed all of the reruns I am seeing though are from 2007 and 2008 so I'm not sure how the show has progressed.

You'll be disappointed, LipstickDiva, as they progress to the more recent seasons. After Melissa McCarthy's Oscar nomination, the wonderful M&M ensemble was backburnered in favor of rising star McCarthy and her endless, senseless pratfalls, spit takes and other mindless physical comedy. It seemed that every ep required her falling down, falling out a first floor window or falling over nothing in particular. The rest of the cast all but vanished and so has the audience that once loved this show. It simply became too silly to tolerate.

Super Contributor

On 11/18/2014 keri said:

You'll be disappointed, LipstickDiva, as they progress to the more recent seasons. After Melissa McCarthy's Oscar nomination, the wonderful M&M ensemble was backburnered in favor of rising star McCarthy and her endless, senseless pratfalls, spit takes and other mindless physical comedy. It seemed that every ep required her falling down, falling out a first floor window or falling over nothing in particular. The rest of the cast all but vanished and so has the audience that once loved this show. It simply became too silly to tolerate.

I must respectfully and totally disagree. As the seasons progressed I think other characters were featured even more - especially her sister Victoria, Mike's mom, Samuel the waiter and Vince. Any show that gets to its 5th season is a miracle. As far as its' ratings, 2013 was not a top year for the show but the 1st episode of 2014 was the #1 show on ad supported TV (cable or network). DH and I LOVE it!!

Honored Contributor

I love Melissa McCarthy. I was less fond of the storylines once she stopped being a teacher and started trying to be a writer, but I still enjoyed the show.

I love the sister!

Somewhere along the line I totally missed their mother and Vince getting married. I don't know how this escaped me, as I've watched every episode. Must be a 'memory thing'. heh

I don't know what they would do that I would stop watching, however. I have enjoyed the show from the beginning - well, near as I can remember. ha!

Esteemed Contributor

Last season I was telling my mom they could really make this show funny by making it a modern day beverly hillbillies. Make her a successful writer and have them move to California or something.
Respected Contributor

On 11/18/2014 keri said:

ITA. The first couple of seasons were so good. Scenes were equally divided among the characters. Now it's all about MS McCarthy. Almost to the point of stupid. Really miss the format of the early shows.

Honored Contributor

I noticed The Millers must have been yanked off the air already. I think there is a rerun of Big Bang Theory scheduled in its place. Actually I live in New York and will have the Jets Bills game on channel 2 and the CBS lineup on Channel 55. I'll be watching DWTS anyway!