Super Contributor

State of Affairs - "Pilot" (S1/Ep01) - 11.17.2014

Katherine Heigl, makes her dramatic debut tonight, Monday, November 17th at 10/9c headlining NBC's new series, State of Affairs.

The former Grey's Anatomy co-star portrays Charlie Tucker, a CIA officer who's tasked with briefing the president daily and taking responsibility for identifying the most critical threats facing America.

Alfre Woodard co-stars as President Constance Payton.

These two powerful women share a professional and personal bond. Terrorists killed the president's son, who was Tucker's lover.

State of Affairs replaces The Blacklist during its Winter hiatus, from now through January 2015.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: State of Affairs - ""Pilot"" (S1/Ep01) - 11.17.2014

Has anyone heard any good buzz on this? Otherwise, I'll plan that time catching up on my DVR or rediscover Castle (how's that been?)
Super Contributor

There's been heavy NBC promotion for State of Affairs, Alter Ego, obviously in an effort to retain that loyal Blacklist audience at 10 PM on Monday.

We've all heard of Heigl's reportedly "difficult" reputation stemming from her Grey's Anatomy days. We've also seen her hopes of a big screen film career fade, replaced by a cold remedy commercial.

While it's not likely to match the quality of The West Wing, anyone who finds political dramas such as Secretary of State intriguing, probably will sample State of Affairs at least once. I intend to do so, therefore I haven't read any reviews yet because I don't want them to influence my opinion even subconsciously. The headlines alone indicated mixed reviews.

If you're interested in reading what they have to say about this new arrival and Heigl's series TV comeback:

State of Affairs - Season 1 Reviews - Metacritic

Review: State Of Affairs won't be the career reboot Katherine ...

Review: Katherine Heigl returns to TV in NBCs State of Affairs

Katherine Heigl's State of Affairs review: mildly suspenseful ...

State of Affairs: Season 1 - TV Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

State of Affairs: Season 1 - Rotten Tomatoes

'State Of Affairs' Review: Dominic Patten On Katherine Heigl's TV Return Deadline.com - 3 hours ago

Alter Ego, these days, I'm watching Castle out of habit more than anything else. For example tonight Caskett honeymoon at a dude ranch. (YAWN!) I hope the show improves, because it's been limping along on lame plots for a few seasons now. Except for the storyline last season that introduced James Brolin as Castle's super-spy father, it's been mostly lackluster.

Respected Contributor

I decided to nix Castle tonight in order to record State of Affairs. Luckily, the plot for Castle tonight sounds exceedingly stupid, so I don't think I'll miss much.

Respected Contributor

Same here, I haven't liked Castle since they hooked up and I use to love it. I watched SOA and so far I am undecided. Will have to watch a couple more.

I know I don't care for Madam Secretary at all.

Respected Contributor

I read an extremely scathing review before the episode tonight. Written by someone who obviously is not a fan of KH. I liked the first episode. It has promise.

Super Contributor

I recorded SOA but haven't watched it yet. (I wasted another hour watching Castle. My own fault; should've known better). A question for those who watched SOA, please explain how they bypass the usual protocols of daily presidential briefings conducted by the National Security Advisor (e.g. - Condoleezza Rice prior to becoming Secretary of State). As I understand it, Charleston Tucker is a high level analyst, but not an agency director. Perhaps I'm being too literal, but how do they explain this factual gaffe? Or do they even bother to address it?
Honored Contributor

I did not make it past the first half hour.

Super Contributor

On 11/18/2014 lulu2 said:

I did not make it past the first half hour.

Ditto here. There is WAAAAAY too much estrogen lately if you ask me. What's up with all these hard-a$! female driven shows? Nope. Hope it tanks.

Respected Contributor

The first half I was bored but it seemed to get better the second half. I always try to give a show 3 chances. For me TV is just entertainment and when I have to try to figure out these complicated plots I get bored with it. Heigel always plays a character I would never like in real life both on TV and in movies.