Super Contributor

SCANDAL & HTGAWM: Shonda Smacks Back At Critics

It should come as no surprise to anyone that last week's episodes of both Scandal and How To Get Away With Murder pushed the envelope in terms of content and language for primetime broadcast network TV.

And Executive Producer Shonda Rhimes wouldn't have it any other way.

To the critics who say they went too far - from Scandal's "Eiffel Towering" to HTGAWM's Annalise Keating uttering those famous last nine words - the Czarina of Shondaland says if the s*xy scenes upset you, "turn the d*mn channel."

This is where the link to the article would've been inserted, but it gets tricky because a QVC Forum-prohibited word appears in the embedded link and it's totally impossible to edit or eliminate it. Go to: etonline.com/tv and scroll down the center, nearly to the bottom of the homepage for the story titled, "A Timeline Of S*x On Shonda Rhimes' Shows, From Polite Kissing To Full on Eiffel Towering."

Remember the uproar caused nearly 30 years ago when America was introduced to "L.A. Law" The Venus Butterfly (TV Episode 1986) - IMDb?

What are your thoughts? Was the criticism justified? Was this content inappropriate? Do you think these shows exceeded the limits of what should be seen and heard on free broadcast TV during primetime? Should this type of content and language be relegated to pay cable? Or is this simply the new normal for today's primetime broadcast programming?

Valued Contributor

Re: SCANDAL & HTGAWM: Shonda Smacks Back At Critics

I've never watched Scandal and it only took me 20 minutes into the first episode of HTGAWM to know it wasn't the show for me and I have no idea what Eiffel Towering is nor do I really want to know so I guess I already took her advice and turned the d*mn channel.

I don't really have a problem with shows like these when they are on after 9pm on the networks although I have no doubt that I would find what they are doing to be highly inappropriate. By 9pm the little ones should be in bed and your teenagers are on their computers which, unless you have put on blocks, give access to worse things than these shows or, if they are watching with you, then you are not watching these kinds of shows.

My biggest issue is when these shows reach the magic 100 episode level and go into syndication because then they are available for viewing at all times of the day. If I had children at home nowadays I would have only basic cable and make sure there are blocks on the content available just like the computer. Children don't need to be inundated with this kind of trash (my opinion only). You probably can't avoid all of it, but you can do your best.

Honored Contributor

OMG !!!

I completely forgot about the Venus Butterfly ......

Honored Contributor

They don't even wait until the magic 100 anymore. I am so tired of these same shows on regular air time and then they're on cable with the re-runs.

It's all about the almighty dollar. Modern Family is on so many cable networks, I've lost track. Every time I turn around it's being played over and over.

I like the show, but good grief! It's stupid to see how many networks they've sold this show to.

I think some of these shows on regular TV should be on cable. I can't imagine trying to raise a family and having to explain some of the things you see on these regular channels starting as early as 8:00 PM. Come on people. Most children go to bed around 9:00 at night.

It's getting so that there aren't many shows on regular networks at 8:00 at night you can watch together as a family any more.

They need to put these shows on later at night or put them on cable. I'm all for grownup entertainment (I sure watch shows that are adult).

However, I think there should be some shows at least on at 8:00PM that a family can see together.

Here's what I think. I think these shows want to be seen before people go to bed (a lot of people go to bed at 10:00 PM instead of the 11:00 even a few years ago because they have to get up earlier to get to work.

I live in the Washington, DC area where traffic is crazy as early as 6:00AM. This means people have to get their children off and to day care, etc really early, hence to bed early at night!

A huge block of shows like Shonda Rhimes has has to start early 8:00 PM in order to get them all in. That means adult conversations and situations as she doesn't write for children.

I like some of her shows, but I think they shouldn't start as early as 8:00 PM just so that they can have a 3 hour block.

Honored Contributor

Dont watch Scandal but HTGAWM did the push the envelope with 2 very surprising comments this week.

Honored Contributor

I don't necessarily have a problem with the comments being made on HTGAWM but the secks scenes IMO are a little over the top and too graphic. I'm no prude but I really don't want to nor need to see this and it really doesn't add to the show.

Regular Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Shelbelle said:

Dont watch Scandal but HTGAWM did the push the envelope with 2 very surprising comments this week.

ITA
Honored Contributor

I just think we are already to the point where people who don't want to watch a lot of who's messing with who (you know what I mean) played out graphically on regular TV channels as early as 8:00 PM.

I watch a lot of shows other people wouldn't want to and don't watch. However, most of them are on cable and even then they come on after 9:00 PM.

I just personally feel that there are people who either choose to or can't afford cable TV. These people have a right to be able to watch TV without being inundated with some of this stuff recently on the regular channels.

My one married daughter (with 4 children 12 to 2 years old) does not have cable TV. She chooses not to subscribe to it. Her husband is an electronics genius so they have access to anything they want (other than cable). She feels like her children don't need to see some of the stuff. She isn't a pr, ude but would rather choose what they see.

My youngest daughter is an adult, unmarried but has minimum TV cable (so she can watch regular channels) because she's seldom home (she skiis, fishes, hikes, works out, never home). When she is home she watches the 3 or 4 'free' channels.

You can say they can always change the channel but (like I said) it is getting to the point where there is less and less being offered.

Once the other main 'free' channels see that Shondaville can get away with some of these things, and people will watch, so goes the others.

I'm all about choice. I hate to see choice taken away from anyone. I can get every channel there is. I pay a lot of money for it every month. But that's OK, because I chose to pay for it and watch it.

I do understand when other's who don't want to watch objectionable stuff have their choice taken from them. That's all I'm saying.

8:00 is too early for some of this stuff. Move to another night and come on at 9:00 at least if it is necessary.

I think it's also easy to put some of this in the TV show because it take imagination and skill to be able to say or show something in a way that isn't so graphic. It's a quick fix and move on.