Respected Contributor

Nielsen's Colossal Screw-Up Strips ABC's David Muir of Ratings Win Over NBC's Brian Williams

Nielsen's Colossal Screw-Up Strips ABC's David Muir of Ratings Win Over NBC's Brian Williams

http://www.thewrap.com/nielsens-colossal-screw-up-strips-abcs-david-muir-of-ratings-win-over-nbcs-b...

This can't be the first time Nielsen did things like this it most likely is the first time they got caught.

Don't you appreciate how now days truth comes out in drip and drabs, but if it was something the reporters were bias too, they would drop news like a bomb be it accurate truth or not.....

I cannot get this out of my head in one of the reports the remark was made...

Executives said 98% to 99% of ratings would not be affected by more than .05 of a ratings point. Cable networks and local programming are unaffected by the snafu.

The issue came to light, Poltrack said, when CBS noticed ratings for a broadcast of ABC’s “Dancing With the Stars” were increasing between the “fast national” tabulation and the final one, even though the show was preempted in two markets so that local stations could show home-team NFL football games. What CBS found, Poltrack said, was that all of the unidentified views in the “fast national” data were “going to ABC. None of it was going to the proper network. It was all going to ABC. That resulted in ABC getting a big bump.”

In a statement, ABC said, “Our entire industry relies upon Nielsen for accuracy and veracity, and we hope that they can quickly resolve this issue. We’re confident that the momentum we’ve seen across the network so far this season will continue, including delivery of the #1 new drama and the #1 new comedy on television.” Nielsen executives declined to specify which networks were affected most.

Nielsen said it uncovered a technical error on Oct. 6 that revealed incorrect measurement of national network TV ratings over several months, resulting in the incorrect attribution of “small amounts of viewing.” The error was introduced on March 2, the company said. The glitch affected both primetime and total day ratings, executives said.

Executives from at least two broadcast networks expect to be awarded some degree of viewership they might otherwise have lost. “The numbers are not very large for us,” Poltrack said. But the data could “make a difference between [being] first or second for the week, or being up versus last year, or being flat versus last year,” he said.

The measurement hiccup comes as Nielsen is under pressure to measure all the new ways consumers watch video content that was once solely distributed by television. Nielsen has made strides to include viewing of streaming video available on desktops and laptops, smartphones and mobile tablets. But TV networks, who have seen their traditional ratings decline as would-be TV viewers splinter off to see video through this new panoply of methods, want the company to move more quickly to draw all views into a single tabulation that would show advertisers TV draws the mass of viewers they say they covet from the medium.

Glitches in data collection are not uncommon, said Poltrack, but TV networks want to be more certain that Nielsen is monitoring its efforts. “We’d like to know what operational thing you’re going to put in place so that you discover it, as opposed to us.”

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/nielsen-admits-error-in-calculating-broadcast-syndie-ratings-120132...

Honored Contributor

Re: Nielsen's Colossal Screw-Up Strips ABC's David Muir of Ratings Win Over NBC's Brian Williams

I can't watch Brian Williams at all because he has this little ""pleading"" quality to his voice and expression (much like Dan Hughes--I like him a lot but that annoys me in both). I like Scott Pelley and like what I have seen of the new ABC guy as well.

Respected Contributor

Re: Nielsen's Colossal Screw-Up Strips ABC's David Muir of Ratings Win Over NBC's Brian Williams

I watch no news because there is no news, only how you should think programs

When there is an emergency I will watch but my discernment is always on high alert!

Honored Contributor

Everyone has an agenda. That's the way I look at it. There is no such thing as a real reporter.

These guys sit behind their desks and read off whatever their bosses tell them to say. You can tell which direction a news station is leaning just by listening to them for a few minutes.

I am similar to Java in that if I think there is something I need to know about I will 'listen in' for a short time.

I get too frustrated because things seem so simple. I live in an area where most of the people my age (well from around 55 on) can identify Senators and Congressmen by seeing them on TV. We are inundated with news, news and more news.

I have seen the same commercials over and over for the same people running for office. I can tell who their target audience is based on what add they are running.

Anyway, they lie, lie and lie some more. I'd rather not hear any of it.

Honored Contributor

I rarely watch local news, but watch a little of GMA in the morning and David Muir at night. I decide what is important, but I believe it's good to know what they are covering each day. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Respected Contributor

I read the Drudge Report which is a collection from all kinds of news outlet and when you scroll down you can read from any news source from around the world

There is something for everyone Right, Left, Center etc everyone is represented.

Valued Contributor

I watch BBC news, it doesn't lean too far right or left!
Our news has become disgusting..

It's no longer news, but opinions..

That's how we roll in the shire..
Honored Contributor

I don't watch either one so the ratings are meaningless, lol.