Super Contributor

THE GOOD WIFE - "Trust Issues" (S6/Ep02) - 09.28.2014

Sorry, but I must take issue with "Trust Issues," the latest episode of The Good Wife.

How is it possible that attorneys become Lockhart-Gardner partners, then immediately leave for a competitor? It's happened again with new arrival Dean Levine-Wilkins (Taye Diggs). He'd barely been introduced and unpacked his briefcase before Diane was urging him to come over to Florrick Agos with her.

Setting aside the ethical issues involved, there must be an enormous financial burden. Remember when Alicia was made partner, scrambled for the hundreds of thousands of dollars for the buy-in at L-G, then departed almost immediately to form her own firm with Cary and the others who felt mistreated? Isn't there some sort of monetary penalty? Aren't there Bar Association sanctions? What about a non-compete clause prohibiting them from working for the competition for a specified period of time?

As Diane and Dean marched out followed by L-G's Benetton Rainbow crew of lawyers, most of whom we'd never seen before, she looked like an upscale, designer-clad Norma Rae standing up for workers' rights, diversity, inclusion, etc. That was just a bit melodramatic. The only thing missing was climbing atop a desk and holding a placard, but that's darn near impossible in four-inch Louboutins.

The "nays" lost the partnership vote, therefore the new name for the struggling new firm is Florrick Agos Lockhart. Considering the animosity that arose last season when the young ones left L-G to go out on their own, the battles that followed and predictably what's to come from David Lee and Louis Canning subsequent to Diane's departure, exactly how uncomfortable can the situation become this season?

I hope they get back to basics, like in the first few seasons, with real cases each week, instead of the juvenile antics and silly pranks that dominated so much of S5. Remember the musical chairs episode, We, the Juries (S5/Ep12)?

Last week, Dexter Roja, the guy who so helpfully tried to provide the $1.3 million for Cary's bond was introduced by drug lord Lemond Bishop as a local dry cleaner. Last night, however, Roja ran a health club. Either Roja has a diversified financial empire or the notion of a roster of gym patrons worked better than a dry cleaners when prosecutors pointed out that cross-referencing them with Cook County death certificates showed that most "members" names were attached to dead people.

If anyone on this Forum can enlighten us, I'd really like to know whether the wife of Illinois' governor, who's a name, managing partner in a private law firm that has conducted business for the governor's office, could legally run for State's Attorney? Does the concept of "conflict of interest" not exist at all? Even if it is legally permissible, doesn't the mere idea raise ethical issues?

TGW fell into the "Cameo of the Week" trap a few seasons back. It appears they're back at it again. Last night: Special Assistant to the President Valerie Jarrett, prodded by Eli, urging Alicia to run for State's Attorney. There was also Nora O'Donnell of CBS News.

Overall, S6 is off to a much better start than the previous one. I just wish they'd terminate the storyline with drug kingpin Bishop, the most despicable character since Kalinda's wayward ex-husband. Perhaps very easily Bishop could be eliminated by a rival, (preferably with Kalinda standing next to him when "the hit" happens), since that line of business is riddled with competition. Perhaps the producers could finally wrap up any lingering involvement with the Internet company, Chum Hum. I'm just sick of hearing them say Chum Hum. That's not likely since F A fought L-G for C H, which is now their biggest client. Robin, once just Kalinda's mini-me, certainly has come into her own as Kalinda 2.0. She's proven herself tenacious, intelligent and innovative; an invaluable asset to the fledgling firm. The touch of comic relief provided by Gunter, the hefty, hair guy who stripped off his shirt in the elevator, much to the dismay of Dean, was hilarious. Who exactly is Gunter? A construction worker or a local homeless person who washes up in the FA bathroom?

Honored Contributor

Re: THE GOOD WIFE - ""Trust Issues"" (S6/Ep02) - 09.28.2014

My daughter had Nora O'Donnell in her graduating class at UVA. She knew her pretty well.....hummmm....that's all I'll say about her.

OK, I agree with you keri. TGW can't have it both ways (well, they can, but they will loose viewers). On one hand they want us to be awed by their knowledge and how they (initially) followed the law in presenting the show (remember the earlier episodes, it seemed like they didn't delve so deeply into this law statue and that statue but kept it simple, yet believable).

It was downright stupid that Cary had to agree to have his finger cut off to prove his loyalty! Come on people!

I don't think they've said who Gunter is (maybe I missed it). I agree that was funny. I think they were right to put that in. I just wish they didn't try to ACT like they were following the law on one hand and then do some of the crazy antics (as you said in your post) and expect us to believe it.

I get dizzy trying to follow some of the law lingo. My guess is I'm not alone. Then they pull something like the fit with Dianne and even me with my tiny brain know that wouldn't 'hold water' so to speak.

You stated exactly like I feel (I'm just more long-winded) and not as articulate in saying it.

Thanks keri. I have to wonder how many people feel like you and I do.

They need to get Cary out or just put a cot in there for Alecia because she's there almost 24/7 on the other side of the glass asking him how to 'handle' so and so.

Phew! Now I'm fired up and exhausted.....I'll go sit down.

Honored Contributor

I think Peter was quite justified not to sign the mortgage papers!!!

Honored Contributor

I agree Shelbelle. I've been involved a lot lately with lawyers and signing papers (closing up my late husband's business even though it's been 10 years next month).

I can tell you that what Peter said about paperwork never going away is true.

I have had to sign paperwork that allows lawyers to go back 10 years in my medical history and will continue until the case is settled (no such thing as privacy).

So, yes, I agree, Peter did the right thing by not signing it.

Honored Contributor

I thought this week was better than last weeks episode. At least they are actually accomplishing things instead of wasting time running around for nothing. I'm glad the show is moving on to the next chapter quickly. I can suspend reality for tv shows when it suits my purpose, which in this case is the fact that I'm done with David Lee and Louis Canning. I've never liked Robin so I hope she is replaced at F, A & L soon by Kalinda.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I'm finishing watching it. I'd forgotten I'd stopped watching it. I like Taye Diggs. I didn't realize he was so short. I'm glad he's coming to Alecia's firm.

That hairy chested guy is still running around there. Now it appears Taye Diggs is also ignoring that guy. It does add something funny.

I'm going on the internet to see who this hairy guy is.

Honored Contributor

Well, people, I couldn't find anything definitive about Gunther. Everyone wonders how he managed to wash up there. The writers are keeping quiet for now.

Everyone though (i.e. People, etc) seems to like the comic relief. Also everyone seems to be loving the 'eye candy' of Taye Diggs.

I'll bet Java or keri could find out more about Gunther. Anybody? I'm curious.

Super Contributor

On 9/29/2014 annabellethecat said:

Well, people, I couldn't find anything definitive about Gunther. Everyone wonders how he managed to wash up there. The writers are keeping quiet for now.

Everyone though (i.e. People, etc) seems to like the comic relief. Also everyone seems to be loving the 'eye candy' of Taye Diggs.

I'll bet Java or keri could find out more about Gunther. Anybody? I'm curious.

This one's for you, annabelle - (click link for his complete bio & IMDb.com resume)

Danny Hoch
Danny Hoch
(Gunter)

Honored Contributor

Thanks keri. He sure ummmm blossomed (didn't he). Ha! Did you find anything about WHY he's allowed to walk around like that?

Everyone is asking what's going on with this character, but no one knows. That's the kind of stuff that drives me crazy. I've always hated surprises. That part of me drove my late husband crazy. He always tried to surprise me and it couldn't be done.

Thanks keri, you are wonderful (but I'm sure you've heard that before) (me smiling).

Super Contributor

I forgot to mention the warm and fuzzy Soccer Dad side of murderous drug lord, Lemond Bishop. Wasn't that father and son sports tableau with Dylan touching? Sure it was, but Bishop needs to be terminated. I'm just tired of seeing him. He's nothing but trouble, now and forever.