Honored Contributor

The shows you used to love but had to quit watching

You know that tipping point where the show you loved becomes the show you no longer like but still watch. What's the tipping point for quitting completely?

I have a couple shows I'm debating dropping my season pass for. One of them is The Good Wife. Loved it for years but then last year happened. The whole firm vs firm fighting theme over and over every episode. And then they killed off Will was just the cherry on top. I watched the first episode and just like last season it was just a bunch of running around with no resolutions at all. It feels like watching people waste time and I don't find that enjoyable.

Anyway, it's the beginning of a new season and when I start seeing episodes pile up in my now playing list that I'm not watching because other shows have taken priority that's my clue that it's time to delete my season pass. Not sure what it will be this season but I'll be keeping an eye out.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Re: The shows you used to love but had to quit watching

Boardwalk Empire I would like it but it is to explicitly filthy once you know something, you do not have to dwell on it, unless one wants to become desensitized to Evil. Just like a movie years ago that came out Airport it was to be funny, but my discernment said no I left the movie, to me it was allowing things to creep into my mine that was indifferent to life.

Thoughts are things

You are still your own gatekeeper of what you invite into your life.

This is why there was once upon a time standards and blue moves were made for those who choose another path, not usurp the path as today..

Honored Contributor

Criminal Minds. When they went into the torture, torture, torture all the time I had to quit. I can take blood and gore but I can't take torture.

Esteemed Contributor

Young and Restless

Dallas

Revenge

Respected Contributor

I stopped watching Criminal Minds several years ago because I couldn't bear to watch the cruelty and twistedness depicted. Bones was a show that stayed on my watch list for a long time even though I thought it was sort of stupid. I continued to watch because I liked some of the supporting characters, but I decided at the end of last season that I just couldn't watch it one more time. On the opposite side of the picture, I always thought NCIS was poorly written so I only watched one or two episodes in the first few seasons, but once Cote de Pablo was on the show, it seemed to get better, so I started watching it regularly.

Do you ever watch a show from the 10 years ago or more and think how bad it is and wonder why you ever watched it in the first place?

Respected Contributor

America's Next Top Model - I stopped watching the season that Kelly joined the panel. It was getting crazy anyway (or crazier, it was always crazy).

Trusted Contributor

Cedar Cove; Signed, Sealed, Delivered; Criminal Minds, for reasons others gave; NCIS due to arrested development of all characters; Justified because it just got too violent and stupid; Longmire because it descended into a soap opera and deviated from the excellent books radically; Person of Interest, once they killed Carter I just didn't like it as much; Walking Dead, too many reasons to go into; L&O SVU, do not like the new people at all and the personal problems that ruin the show.

Super Contributor

I've already quit:

Once Upon A Time

Dallas

The Newsroom

Mike and Molly

2 Broke Girls

Here are a few currently teetering on my personal bubble. I'm reserving judgment to see whether the new season shows any improvement over the tedium or confusing chaos of the previous one.

Revenge

The Blacklist

Bones

Castle

Grey's Anatomy

I suppose it's necessary to jettison some to make room for others, although two of my new shows, Forever and Scorpion, probably won't make it through the first three months of the 2014-'15 season. Sadly it's been an uphill survival struggle for both. They began with negative reviews and predictions of early cancellation. Unfortunately that often becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The networks give up when shows aren't instant hits, then fail to give a decent but struggling show sufficient promotion to make audiences aware of its existence and potentially transform it into a ratings winner.

Super Contributor

The unreal reality shows on TLC and Bravo. I do love Flipping Out and would watch new episodes. Seinfeldian and sometimes a glimpse of Chaz Dean. Much more comedy than reality. Genuinely witty.

TLC used to offer shows on real families with real challenges and very diverse ways of living. The shows on the Irish travellers and Romany were interesting when produced in the UK. Now it's just another bunch of women bashing other women.

They all seem less interesting when the producers manufacture events, trips or guest characters. Quit while ahead. The Gosselin debacle is a prime example.

HGTV. If I hear "open concept", "granite & stainless", "en suite" or "VIEWS" once more....Apparently it's better to own a view than to actually be in the view. You can look at the sea or mountains but not make the effort to go there.

Honored Contributor

Revenge. I haven't completely stopped because DH refuses to give up but it no longer holds my interest. I read a magazine and do other things while it's on now.

I have dropped some reality shows I used to watch because they just got too dump or the characters too unlikeable, like Kim Zolciak on Don't be Tardy.

The Blacklist although I really wish I had stuck with it.

I've gotten involved in so many shows that don't make it, I hate to even get hung up on a show anymore.