Super Contributor

THE MYSTERIES OF LAURA - (NBC)

In an obvious effort to counter critics' initial negative reaction, on Wednesday night NBC sneak previewed its new Debra Messing dramedy, The Mysteries of Laura, with a repeat tonight (10 PM ET on Thursday).

Debra Messing stars as Laura Diamond, a tough but harried NYPD homicide detective, cracking heads and cases with equal success, while wrestling with twin boys and battling a straying, estranged husband, also a homicide detective, who just can't seem to remember to sign divorce papers.

This is territory that's been covered before, but despite the literal and figurative messiness of Diamond's life, Messing brings an quality to the character that makes you root for her. Certainly many women can identify and empathize with the challenges of mothers working outside the home, although when you consider her mischievous pre-school twin whirling dervishes, you almost wonder whether they're more of a menace to society than the suspects she collars on the job.

There were some familiar faces in the pilot; character actors whom you probably recognize, even if you don't know them by name. Josh Lucas plays Laura's philandering husband, Det. Jake Broderick. Enrico Colantoni(Veronica Mars) turns up as Captain Dan Hauser.

Wisely, NBC has positioned The Mysteries of Laura with other police dramas on Wedneday night, giving it excellent support from lead-ins by Chicago P.D. and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. Unfortunately, this freshman entry, a blend of drama and comedy ("dramedy"), is schizophrenic and can't really decide which it wants to be. For that reason, many critics have predicted it'll be one of the first cancellations of the 2014-'15 TV season. I'm not saying this is "must see TV," but if there's an imminent pink slip in the show's future, it's worth a look before it vanishes.

Trusted Contributor

Re: THE MYSTERIES OF LAURA - (NBC)

I don't know where you got this critique but I am sorry to hear that it wont make it.... I taped it but now I don't think I will watch it.... I hate getting interested in shows that will be cancelled. Thanks for posting this, Keri.

Respected Contributor

I don't enjoy watching Messing so I didn't record this show, but I enjoyed reading your assessment, Keri. I really like Enrico Colantoni. I wish he would get a regular slot in another drama.

Super Contributor

Game-on, to clarify, the critique is my opinion only. Whenever posting someone else's review, I always attribute, giving credit to both writer and source. It's only fair; besides it's the proper and legal thing to do.

I'm sure you're aware that bloggers, along with TV and print journalists eagerly assess the new crop of shows right after May's network up-fronts, then watch screeners of early episodes. Based on that, many have said that The Mysteries of Laura probably will be one of this season's first casualties.

I disagree. This isn't a fantastic show, but it's interesting primetime entertainment; much better than others. I hope people watch and the network gives it an honest chance to find an audience.

Incidentally, critics predict an early demise for another NBC newbie, Bad Judge, starring Kate Walsh. Along with The Mysteries of Laura, some critics have deemed these two the worst entries of the 2014-'15 season. I hope people aren't unduly influenced by these early predictions of doom. They should watch and decided for themselves. After all, a critic's assessment is only one person's opinion, just like yours and mine.

Valued Contributor

I watched most of this last night and all I can say is there is already enough mistrust of LE without reinforcing that mistrust by depicting a "cowgirl" cop not only breaking the law but ignoring the Constitution too, all with the support of her entire crew.

This is not a show I will be watching.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to like this. I tried to like this. However, I couldn't decide if they were (on purpose) trying to make her look like a bafoon or if it was just my vision of what I was seeing.

I loved her on Will and Grace (still watch it every chance I can). I've liked her visiting on other shows.

I just don't think this show is right for her. I have so many interests I have to choose what to watch.

Right now her show doesn't make my cut. That might change, but for now I'm setting her show aside.

Honored Contributor

I may be totally in the minority, but I enjoyed it. I thought it had some very clever writing.

Honored Contributor

I liked it, not loved it, but liked it. I guess that's all I need, so few things appeal to me now days. I empathize with the long suffering wife putting up with the total lack of responsibility from her husband. (Also ended up ex in my case.) And its unfortunate that one particular guy met his demise, he would have done a lot for that character. I've always enjoyed him, funny or sinister.

Valued Contributor

Watched this last night and I liked it.

Honored Contributor

I (surprisingly to me) enjoyed it. I've alerted several friends to give it a try. I believe the first episode of last night's premiere will be tonight. Also, Debra is a beautiful woman, actually even more beautiful (to me) now than when on Will and Grace (which I adored). She was a guest on one of the talk shows yesterday, and I loved her totally beautiful 'smoky-eyes' look. Several shades of grey. Beautiful with her hazel eyes. I tried to 'copy' her yesterday, but it just didn't look quite the same on me............lol......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).