Honored Contributor

PBS - Masterpiece presents Breathless on Sunday, Aug. 24th

Looks like a medical version of Mad Men (takes place in the 60's).

I'll at least watch, nothing much else to watch on Sunday nights!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: PBS - Masterpiece presents Breathless on Sunday, Aug. 24th

Hey Hootie, thanks! I'm on it. Summer TV is definitely doldrums isn't it? Thanks for the heads up. LM

Just checked out Masterpiece Theater Saturday and Sunday for Episodes 1 and 2 described as Birdsong ...‘ An adaptation of Sebastian Faulk's classic novel about two lovers torn apart by WW1'. Might be worth a watch. I have recorded it. It's on Saturday at 7:30 in the morning but you should check your time as I am in Canada. Cheers! LM

Honored Contributor

Hi Lilysmom, I can always count on you to acknowledge my posts!

I have a friend in the UK that started watching this and said she didn't care for it, so I guess we will have to find out for ourselves!

Esteemed Contributor

Hooty, I see my first episode of Birdsong recorded. Will probably watch it this weekend. I'll let you know what I think. LM

Esteemed Contributor

Hooty, I saw this before!
Honored Contributor

I watched it and will give it a chance but it was a little confusing. I didn't understand why the parents were forcing their daughter to marry that man. None of the male actors were appealing and there were too many subplots.

Honored Contributor

I watched Reckless. I'll have to check it out later. Thanks for the heads up though Hooty.

Honored Contributor

It was OK

Too many stock characters/situations and social commentary such as the guy having the affair with the golf club secretary, and the medication of the the wife.

Only interested in the backstory of Otto and what happened in Cyprus,

I think these shows are getting carried away with how authentic they can make the settings of the 50's/60's. I feel like saying to the directors yes I know it is nicely done, set director and costume director but the viewer needs a little more story.

thoughts?

Honored Contributor

I thought Breathless was pretty good-good enough that I'll watch next week. They have the eye make up of the sixties down pat. Right now, there are too many characters for me and I can't keep them straight yet and two of the girls look alike. Having a miscarriage then walking down the aisle blew me away. I saw her reasoning, but still. The girl that Otto is pursuing (still not sure of names here) reminds me of Natalie Wood in some shots. The lady who is having hormonal problems made me laugh. I'm sorry, I know it's a terrible time. But I knew what she was feeling and she went for it. Troubled soul-Librium won't change that but I don't think she is even taking it.

Honored Contributor

ITA about all the characters to comprehend! Also, it is only going to be 2 more episodes!

I am confused about Otto Powell, why do they keep calling him "Mr." Powell instead of "Dr." Powell ............ I was totally confused with that, and he is the main character!

It was not that intriguing, but I will continue to watch!