Respected Contributor

ALLISON WILLIAMS Cast As PETER PAN In December 4 NBC Musical ‘Peter Pan Live!’

"July 30, 2014 ::::: Allison Williams Cast As Peter Pan In NBC Musical ‘Peter Pan Live!’

Girls co-star Allison Williams has been cast as the title character in NBC’s December 4 live staging of Peter Pan Live!.

Williams, who has sung on her HBO show and in various other projects, is a classically trained singer whose online singing videos have logged millions of views.

(watch at the link one of the most popular ones, which she uploaded shortly after graduating from Yale in 2010)

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/allison-williams-cast-as-peter-pan-in-nbc-musical-peter-pan-live/

She will star opposite Christopher Walken, who had been cast as Captain Hook.

“We think she will bring the perfect blend of ‘boyish’ vulnerability and bravado to save the day against Christopher Walken’s powerful Captain Hook,” NBC chairman Bob Greenblatt said.

Williams, daughter of NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams, said that she’d wanted to play Peter Pan since she was about 3, “so this is a dream come true.” “I’m very excited to get to work with this extraordinarily talented team.

And besides, what could go wrong in a live televised production with simultaneous flying, sword fighting and singing?”

Craig Zadan and Neil Meron executive produce the special.

The casting of the lead proved crucial for the success of NBC’s live staging of The Sound of Music last year as Carrie Underwood’s broad fan base came out in droves, especially in the middle of the country where there were numerous viewing parties.

Williams, who landed the role on Girls right out of college, is not yet a household name and doesn’t have a following of the size of Underwood, a country superstar.

The original Broadway production of Peter Pan, directed and choreographed by Jerome Robbins and featuring the iconic songs I’m Flying, I’ve Gotta Crow, I Won’t Grow Up, and Never Never Land, opened on Broadway in 1954. It starred Mary Martin as Peter and Cyril Ritchard as Captain Hook, both of whom won Tony Awards for their performances."

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Valued Contributor

Re: ALLISON WILLIAMS Cast As PETER PAN In December 4 NBC Musical ‘Peter Pan Live!’

In 1955 I saw the first live television broadcast of Peter Pan, starring Mary Martin. I was 7 years old. I loved it! I've seen two of the subsequent productions starring Sandy Duncan and Cathy Rigby, but my favorite Peter Pan has always been Mary Martin.

I look forward to seeing this new production with Allison Williams, however I don't know why they don't cast a male for the part. There are a lot of adult male actors who could bring Peters boyish character to the part.

Honored Contributor

Re: ALLISON WILLIAMS Cast As PETER PAN In December 4 NBC Musical ‘Peter Pan Live!’

I watch that show. She seems like a lovely young woman but she seems tall to me to be playing Peter Pan.

She just doesn't seem like a cute, 'pixie-like' elf (like Mary Martin). But then I've been told I'm not very good about imagining things like this.

Respected Contributor

I copied part of what newsiesuzie posted above: Williams, daughter of NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams, said that she’d wanted to play Peter Pan since she was about 3, “so this is a dream come true.” “I’m very excited to get to work with this extraordinarily talented team.

Brian Williams covered this in his newscast last night (in his usual deadpan style) and showed a photograph of her when she was younger (from when she was in a school play, I think). It was really cute. I hope she does well.

Honored Contributor

smoky, I've seen him talk about his girls before. He beams when he talks about them. It's nice to see.

Super Contributor

Since I don't watch Girls, I didn't understand the reference Brian Williams made during NBC NIGHTLY NEWS about Allison's "wanting to play Peter Pan ever since she was three, as her family will attest." It wasn't until Early Today when they congratulated Allison and "her proud father, our very own Brian Williams," that it made sense.

picture of allison williams as peter pan
Cute photo accompanying the story, from the Williams family album.

Wishing her all the best, although Peter Pan never was one of my favorites, therefore I doubt that I'll be watching. I certainly hope the executive producers, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, learned something from last year's The Sound of Music fiasco, headlined by singer Carrie Underwood. I'd hate to see this young star suffer such a critical drubbing.

As for Christopher Walken as Captain Hook...? Hmmm - it should be different, if nothing else.

Respected Contributor

Hopefully she and Walken work well together. It does seem like odd casting. Ms Williams is certainly tall for the part. At least I know this can't be worse than the Sound of Music.

Super Contributor

Anson Williams?! ""Potsie""!!?

Wait. Never mind.

Honored Contributor

ennui......you just made me laugh out loud! That is so funny!

This girl isn't petite and perky like Mary Martin was. But then I guess I don't have much imagination. I'll try to keep an open mind.

Super Contributor

On 7/31/2014 CaliKat said:

In 1955 I saw the first live television broadcast of Peter Pan, starring Mary Martin. I was 7 years old. I loved it! I've seen two of the subsequent productions starring Sandy Duncan and Cathy Rigby, but my favorite Peter Pan has always been Mary Martin.

I look forward to seeing this new production with Allison Williams, however I don't know why they don't cast a male for the part. There are a lot of adult male actors who could bring Peters boyish character to the part.

Oh, gosh that production of Peter Pan with Mary Martin was so magical wasn't it? They reaired it a couple of times over the years before the Sandy Duncan one and I always looked so forward to it.