Esteemed Contributor

Today was not a rerun, but was her final day. What a shame that an intelligent talk show is canceled. It seems like the only ones left on are the ones that are silly or talk nonsense or scream at one another or throw things, or talk over one another. TV has dumbed down so much. Of course their is PBS with some intelligent shows, but most of the public, it seems, like the gossip or screaming or down right dirty shows. Also ones where they really don't tell or teach anything. How sad, she had a good informative show. Now most people have to hear about the Kardashians, or Jay Z or who is sleeping with who, or who is getting divorced, or someone promoting a book or TV show.

Honored Contributor

I never set out to watch her show but I did end up watching it several times a month. I found it to be intelligent and informative.

She didn't talk down to the audience and her subjects were a mixture of pop culture and things from the past.

The main thing I like about her show was she gave her guests time to talk. She didn't just parade a bunch of people on and off of the stage like cattle.

Almost every show does that today! It's crazy how quickly they are on.....then they're off!

Sometimes I find myself wondering why they were even on there.

Anyway, I agree that it's too bad it was canceled. Make way for more bimbo shows.

Esteemed Contributor

Seems like the public is desensitized. Maury and Jerry Springer continue on....while intelligent shows fade away.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

ury, you made good sense to me. Sad, isn't it?

Super Contributor
While I liked the content of her shows, I cannot stand her. So, personality is part of it as well.
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/30/2014 expatgal said: While I liked the content of her shows, I cannot stand her. So, personality is part of it as well.

Once in a while I would click on her show. I liked her guests, but did not think she was a particularly good interviewer! Her cackle/laugh did bother me though. I hope she enjoys and does well in her future job!!!

Super Contributor

Just curous - did anyone actually get a Katie finale? It was described as a clip show of memorable moments and favorite guests from both seasons, but in this market (Metro ATL) what ran was a repeat of the "Hair" show. I tuned in again today and it was another repeat. Maybe tomorrow?

I tried to like Katie but the show was so schizophrenic. One minute it was campus assaults and the next, those infernal cooking tips. Oh, well, something for everyone, I suppose, but why cram it all into one show? So many serious topics required the entire hour in order to be covered completely. IMO - her show tried to be all things to all viewers and it ended up as not much of anything but a big, unfocused, haphazard mess. No wonder it was cancelled after only two seasons.

I found it difficult to watch chirpy little Katie Couric, still perky after all these (57) years. At times, she seemed as if she were hosting a game show, one of the dumbest segments she squeezed in often. Another thing that drove me mad was her beginning every sentence with "So -" and ending every question/statement with "right?" Extremely annoying, but served as a fun drinking game for downing part of my daily water requirement. And don't get me started on that toothy grin with the excessive expanse of gums. Those receding puppies need to be addressed quickly or the woman won't have a tooth remaining when she's 70.

Katie is like a cat with nine professional lives. Straight out of college, she was a CNN production assistant, then it was on to a similar job at CBS before landing the co-host spot at TODAY. She gambled that NBC sure thing for the anchor spot on THE CBS EVENING NEWS because there was an irresistible $15mil/yr salary attached and an opportunity to gain some real news credibility. Despite dwindling ratings, she lasted five years before landing this talk show that sliced her annual salary to $10million. Numerous staff changes, backstage turmoil and abysmal ratings that never approached the numbers promised to advertisers caused the cancellation, but Katie hauled in an estimated $10mil/yr as host and executive producer of her eponymous chatfest.

Now Katie moves on to a $5mil/yr job as YAHOO's Global Anchor, (Yahoo News with Katie Couric |) conducting interviews and creating online content. The latest with SCOTUS AJ Ruth Bader Ginsberg (Exclusive: Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Hobby Lobby Dissent ...) debuted this week. Since there's a partnership between YAHOO and ABC, don't be surprised if you see her filling the void left when Barbara Walters retired her annual "Most Fascinating People" specials.

Katie Couric is failing and spiraling downward, but still hauling in those multi-million dollar paychecks. Nice work if you can get it and obviously Katie Couric can.

Respected Contributor

I watched it once. That was more than enough. I found it to be very boring; like watching paint dry.

Trusted Contributor

In my opinion, I always thought Katie liked talking with celebrities over hard news guests. When she left CBS and went to ABC, she got all the celeb interviews and loved it.

I have nothing bad to say about her, but I never thought she was worth all that money. Jane Pauley was always my favorite female host on The Today Show.

She went through a lot with the loss of her late husband. I wish her all the joy in her new marriage. I respect her that she took her time and was devoted to her daughters after their father passed away.

That is so true about her saying "So...and right." Great observation.

Contributor

She is a bore. Give me some Soap Operas during the day. Great acting, scripts, stories and not reality tv.