Esteemed Contributor

Saw Donny and Marie in Vegas tonight

Their show was awesome. They, of course, sang their hits, but also covered the likes of Aerosmith and the Stones. What surprised me the most was Marie singing Nessem Dorma. It brought me to tears. Who knew she could sing opera? They came out into the audience. I got a high five fro m Donny.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Valued Contributor

Re: Saw Donny and Marie in Vegas tonight

That sounds like a fun show - I had such a crush on Donny when I was growing up and we watched their variety show on TV. I have to ask though: What Aerosmith and Stones songs did they (he?) sing. I can't picture them singing "Dude Looks Like A Lady" or "Beast of Burden"{#emotions_dlg.laugh} So cool that you got to "high 5" Donny!

And I had no idea Marie would even attempt such a song, much less succeed, but I always thought she had a nice voice. I occasionally find myself singing the chorus to "Paper Roses"Smile

Isn't it nice to see not only an entertaining show, but one that is "clean"? I haven't been to Las Vegas since 1976, but if I went back I would go see their show. Glad you had such a good time!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Esteemed Contributor

"Walk This Way" by Aerosmith. Marie talked about how she has a voice that can sing all types of music. Nessem Dorma as perfect for her to show the voice. She did a costume change on stage with her costume designer talking about how her designer also did the 8 back-up dancers costumes. Very pretty girl. Then Marie said "I designed HER. This is my daughter, Rachel." D&M had a lot of the sibling banter they did in the old days. I know they tell the same jokes every show, but they genuinely made it seem like they were telling them for the first time.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Valued Contributor

I'm SO envious! I would love to see their show! I, too, had an enormous crush on Donny and I still think he's cute. Marie looks beautiful, and she's so strong--been through so much. Did you know they were voted the best show in Vegas?

Contributor

Sounds like a great night! I was lucky enough to see their Christmas show in LA a couple years ago. As you said, it was a high energy, full on show. They hardly sit on a stool and sing their hits. They sang all sorts of music, danced, went into the audience. They look and sound great.

Esteemed Contributor

I would love to see their show! I saw them perform live many years ago. Donny and the Osmond brothers wore white suits and each wore different colored shirts. I can still visualize Donny in his purple shirt singing "". . .in my deep purple dreams. . .""

Love the way they used to end their show. Do they still end it this way today?

""May tomorrow be a perfect day
May you find love and laughter along the way
May God keep you in his tender care
'Til he brings us together again. . .""

Super Contributor

Sounds like so much fun! I met them at QVC a few years ago, it was a childhood dream come true!

Esteemed Contributor

To answer some of the questions. Yes, we knew they were voted the #1 show in Vegas and they told the audience, too. Yes, they end the show with their signature sign off, which is still so sweet. Donny mentioned that he no longer likes purple or "that song."...LOL, but sang it anyway.

Honored Contributor

Marie has always had a wonderful voice but I think it has gotten even more magnificent and beautiful as she has matured. I

would absolutely LOVE to hear her sing Nessun Dorma. I love that piece. I don't even know what any of it means, but it sounds so tragic. Anybody who can do justice to that song can sing anything!