Valued Contributor

Did anyone see the first episode tonight (7/22)? I hate it when they pull that kind of trick on the contestants - they think they are in and then find out they aren't; however, I do think they eliminated the right contestants - their characters were weak - and you do learn who can handle a real curve that comes their way and how they handle unexpected pressure, which seems to be important in movie makeup.

Gabby's paint was terrible and she admits how wrong she was to try to cover up the piece she was given. It really was muddled and ugly. Kudos to her for recognizing the flaws and saying the pressure just got to her - she made no excuses.

Poor Scott - I feel like I could have created what he did. No imagination, just a motorcycle dude who looked like he forgot to wash off his beauty mask from the night before. He said what they all say "I don't feel like I got to show them what I can really do", which is correct in a sense, but he must have realized how bad his makeup was when he saw it next to the others and if he didn't, he doesn't belong. He is 48, old enough to have learned a few hard truths and he should be able to be honest with himself (Gabby is 43)

The winner created a beautiful and perfect representation of life with her elfen woman who had beautiful accessories made of leaves plus the veining she created. I also thought her choice of paint color was excellent as was its application. The ears were perfectly shaped and went so well with the head. Very pretty and so well done.

I also thought Keaghlan (sp?) created a very pretty character who represented life. I loved the colors she chose for makeup and clothing and thought the flowers headpiece was beautiful.

If you watched, what did you think - did the judges get it right? What do you think of the new judge (so far, I like her!) Which contestants did you like, either because they created something you really liked or you just liked their back story and personality?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SyFy's Face Off - Season 7

This show is one of my all time favorites!! Just started watching last season and am looking forward to this season. What I like about this show is that the whole show is based on the contestant ' ability to make an outstanding "mask/body" based on the info received. The judges select a winner by how well the contestant designed, sculpted, painted and dressed the model. If the contestant really does not have/know the appropriate skills and techniques, it really shows in their product. I also think the models for this show are fantastic! They really have to put up with hours of paint and makeup and then have to act the part of the creature!! I am not sure about the new judge...her tongue seems to be very sharp.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I agree, the models are really good - they bring the makeup to life and, in some cases, save the makeup artist by really portraying what the artist had in mind even if the makeup didn't come out as the artist hoped.

I think the new judge will have a sharper tongue than Ve did, but she doesn't seem unkind. I will miss Ve though - she could constructively criticize and not hurt your feelings. Did you notice in the "this season on Face Off" previews how much Glenn was laughing!? He usually takes himself so seriously. Maybe he is lightening up - it seemed like he was wearing a lot less guy liner{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/23/2014 mewsmomtoo said:

Yes, I agree, the models are really good - they bring the makeup to life and, in some cases, save the makeup artist by really portraying what the artist had in mind even if the makeup didn't come out as the artist hoped.

I think the new judge will have a sharper tongue than Ve did, but she doesn't seem unkind. I will miss Ve though - she could constructively criticize and not hurt your feelings. Did you notice in the "this season on Face Off" previews how much Glenn was laughing!? He usually takes himself so seriously. Maybe he is lightening up - it seemed like he was wearing a lot less guy liner{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I noticed that too - less makeup and his hair is in a different do! I really like that the judges appreciate the contestants artistic ability. The show is not based on personality nor personal appearance!

Valued Contributor

I wrote most of what I wanted to and then I accidentally closed out the page!!!! Anyway....

I really enjoyed tonight’s episode – I thought the challenge was a good idea and one that I don’t think they have done before.

The winning team was obvious. George and Cig’s Tony “Big Tuna” Accardo was about as perfect as it gets, from the concept to the finished makeup. I loved the “goodnight” on the fish. I also thought Charles “The Typewriter” Nicoletti by Rachael and Vince was well done, with those names inscribed on head and the brass knuckles that looked like typewriter keys – that was very clever.

I wasn’t crazy about Doc and Stella’s” Needles” character, I thought he was just OK. I thought the two that got by as “safe”, Gwen and Drew’s “The Shark” and Keaghlan and Damian’s “Mack Truck” were both well done and definitely in the spirit of D*ck Tracey and I think I would have put “The Shark” in the Top 3 instead of “Needles”.

As for the bottom two, I think they belonged there. The “Peanuts” character I didn’t get at all and frankly, I don’t understand why one of them, Dina or Jason, wasn’t eliminated – I probably would have eliminated Jason for his terrible paint job.

And the Tick-tock” character was just terrible, but at least they listened to Michael Westmore and Sasha created the timebomb, which was well-done. Barry knew he had done a poor paint job so of the two, he deserved to go home.

I wonder if the judges knew that Michael Westmore had given them that idea. And I can’t remember what Barry did last week though I do think he just skated by so maybe that is why he was eliminated instead of Jason.

What did you think of tonight’s episode? What were your favorite and least favorite makeups and did the judges get it right?

Honored Contributor

Hi, Mews! So glad you started this thread Smiley Happy

I just caught up last night on both, because I had to watch the first episode again to really get it. It happens to me sometimes with Face Off.

It was such a fun challenge and the results were mostly so not fun I guess it was because of the teams? Because the work last week seemed to set the bar pretty high and last night was full of meh. The only one I liked was the shark.

I love Glenn's new look. And last night I loved how they styled McKenzie in homage to Madonna in Richard Tracey (haahahahahaha, Webbie won't let me say the real name, I'm laughing so hard that that was flagged). She looked amazing!

Also the makeup artist from Richard Tracey, his voice was so like Al Pacino's in that movie I wondered if Al Pacino got the inspiration from that guy's voice.

Does everyone know (or care?) that she's engaged to first-season and frequent-guest judge Patrick Tatopoulos? I started watching McKenzie day one of Passions and she's the reason I tuned into Face Off. She started acting young, she was in Raging Bull as a kid.

I don't even watch many movies but I have loved Face Off from the very first episode.

Trusted Contributor

I love this show and every year they have more talented people.

Valued Contributor

Hi LL, yes, I liked McKenzie's look as well and I had no idea she was engaged to Patrick Tatopoulos! Who'd have guessed? I didn't know anything about her until I started watching Face Off and even now I know very little because she has to say the same things over and over.

When she and her dad were doing the walk-through yesterday, I was a little surprised to hear her speak up when they were looking at Barry and Sasha's Tick-tock makeup. Maybe she'll be allowed to have a little more of a voice in the futureSmile

Teams most of the time end up putting out watered down work on this show because they are thrown together. Sometimes they do really good work, like last night's Tuna character and sometimes they do incredible work like the 2-headed giant holding a head (can't remember the season or who, though I think one was Roy, was the other Eric V?)

Funny you mention the guest judge. There was something about him that I couldn't put my finger on - I kept thinking he reminded me of someone, but I didn't know who. Maybe that was it - it was the voice!

Glad you found the thread and you too, FlowerShopGirl. "Ancient Aliens" are next!

PS Speaking of Ancient Aliens, did anyone here like to watch "Destination Truth"? I loved that show and one of my favorite episodes is when they go to Chili and go down in that cave and find the little "alien" buried. I know they turned that "body" over to the gov't and I think it was in the news last year that they still don't have an explanation for it. I miss that show - Josh was funny and easy on the eyes and they went to all kinds of places. There's only one season on DVD though I did buy Josh's book - fun read, could have used more details.Smile

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/30/2014 LoriLori said:

Hi, Mews! So glad you started this thread Smiley Happy

I just caught up last night on both, because I had to watch the first episode again to really get it. It happens to me sometimes with Face Off.

It was such a fun challenge and the results were mostly so not fun I guess it was because of the teams? Because the work last week seemed to set the bar pretty high and last night was full of meh. The only one I liked was the shark.

I love Glenn's new look. And last night I loved how they styled McKenzie in homage to Madonna in Richard Tracey (haahahahahaha, Webbie won't let me say the real name, I'm laughing so hard that that was flagged). She looked amazing!

Also the makeup artist from Richard Tracey, his voice was so like Al Pacino's in that movie I wondered if Al Pacino got the inspiration from that guy's voice.

Does everyone know (or care?) that she's engaged to first-season and frequent-guest judge Patrick Tatopoulos? I started watching McKenzie day one of Passions and she's the reason I tuned into Face Off. She started acting young, she was in Raging Bull as a kid.

I don't even watch many movies but I have loved Face Off from the very first episode.

I didn't know that about McKenzie. And Patrick is soooooooo talented - a genius at his craft. What a couple they must make!

Valued Contributor

Finally got a chance to see Episode 3 (8/5), Ancient Aliens. I was kind of surprised that, in my opinion, there were so many uninspired makeups this week.

The Top 3 could have been a top 2 for me. I thought Stella and Sasha did the best makeups and Stella wins hands down. Her makeup was beautiful, the clothes, the jeweled collar. There was no doubt she deserved to win.

Sasha's makeup was very pretty as well. She kept it simple and it worked. I liked her jewelry and clothing too.

The other member of the Top 3 was OK, but I didn't think it was special. I thought she dressed her very well.

I know Drew's paint job got a little messy, but I loved his Snake God/Alien. I loved his sculpt and I really liked the way he dressed him.

Looking at the Bottom 3, well, 2 of the 3 definitely belonged there (Gwen and Doc). I think the other was Damien, but I bet if we looked at the judges' scores we would find he wasn't scored nearly as low as the poor Gwen and Doc.

I really liked Gwen and I was sorry to see her go, but her whole alien just turned into a mess - the chest just fell apart and she spent so much time on it that other things were neglected, like the paint job on the face and then she tried to cover it up with that fur .thing so he did end up looking more like a caveman than an alien.

I felt so sorry for Doc - there he was going along with his concept and Mr. Westmore completely threw him off by making all those suggestions for change. By trying to combine his own ideas with Mr. Westmore's, he ended up with a nothing, just sort of this round blob with facial features.

It was probably one of the worst all-time makeups (IMHO) and he is lucky that Gwen's "alien" was such a total failure. If it had read more as an alien rather than caveman, he might have been the one going home. As it is, I think he learned a lesson and that he still has a lot to show us.

Next week we have Twisted Trees- should be interesting. Wonder what the inspiration was? The only trees I can think of are the apple throwing trees in "The Wizard of Oz" (love that movie!!!) or Groot, the tree in Guardians of the Galaxy {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

What did y'all think of this episode?