Super Contributor

Sorkin Apologizes for THE NEWSROOM

Aaron Sorkin Apologizes for The Newsroom: "I'd Like to Start Over"
Apr 22, 2014 01:11 PM ET
by Liz Raftery TV GUIDE
/></p> <div id= Aaron Sorkin

Aaron Sorkin says he'd like to apologize to people who may have misinterpreted his intentions with his HBO series The Newsroom.

"I think you and I got off on the wrong foot with The Newsroom and I apologize and I'd like to start over," Sorkin told the audience at a Tribeca Film Festival event Monday, referencing the criticism over his choice to set the show in the recent past. "I think that there's been a terrible misunderstanding. ... I wasn't trying to and I'm not capable of teaching a professional journalist a lesson. That wasn't my intent and it's never my intent to teach you a lesson or try to persuade you or anything."

The Newsroom, which stars Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer as the anchor and producer of a nightly newscast, often depicts media coverage of real events, including the killing of Osama Bin Laden and the 2012 presidential election.

Get the scoop on 39 must-watch season finales

Added the West Wing creator: "I like writing romantically and idealistically. I try to balance that with just enough realism so that it feels like whatever romantic ideal is in there is somewhat attainable."

The upcoming third season of The Newsroom will be the show's last, and Sorkin teased at Monday's event that one episode will chronicle the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

"I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it," he said of the show. "I've very proud of The Newsroom. ... But there is a learning curve and unfortunately, those lessons are learned in front of several million people. ... I'm feeling really good about how the third season is going. I'll look back on it fondly and proudly, and wish I could get every scene of every episode back so that I could do it all over again."

Listen to Sorkin's full interview at:
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Aaron-Sorkin-Apologizes-Newsroom-1080758.aspx

Respected Contributor

Re: Sorkin Apologizes for THE NEWSROOM

Thanks for the link, Keri. I'll have to find time to listen to the interview.