Super Contributor

Letterman's Retirement & His Possible Successor

David Letterman announced today that after 30 years, he's going to retire in 2015. What does that mean for the late-night TV landscape? Does CBS promote current Late Late Show host Craig Ferguson? Do they go after Jay Leno and the sizeable audience that he'd potentially deliver to CBS? Do they aggressively pursue and poach any of the dozen or so others who are currently hosting daytime and nighttime talk shows? Or is there a brilliant young comic out there just waiting for his/her big break and can deliver exactly what CBS needs in a Letterman replacement? What do you think is the most likely scenario?
Respected Contributor

Re: Letterman's Retirement & His Possible Successor

I'm glad to see him go......his sour grapes since the Tonight Show fiasco got old real fast for me.....maybe now CBS might get me to watch (if they get a decent replacement, because the rest of the guys on the other stations now are awful). Just because some thrived on Sat. Night Live, doesn't mean they're any good hosting these shows.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with you, hulagirl. I haven't watched him for ages, nor have I watched Craig Ferguson much lately. I am perfectly happy with Jimmy Fallon. I couldn't care less what CBS does.

Esteemed Contributor

Letterman was the only host I watched when I watched late night (which was no longer very often.). The names mentioned this morning on my local news was Leno, Ferguson, Conan or Jon Stewart. I don't know if CBS is affiliated with the Comedy Channel, but moving Stewart's show would probably be extremely successful against the 2 Jimmy's. I also wonder how successful a more news oriented show would do? But I guess ABC used to do that and stopped to move their talk show Jimmy up.
Respected Contributor

Drew Carey did a dandy job subbing for Craig F. on April 1. I say DREW! (glad Dave ""the kingmaker"" by his own humble description is going!)

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/4/2014 Alter Ego said: Letterman was the only host I watched when I watched late night (which was no longer very often.). The names mentioned this morning on my local news was Leno, Ferguson, Conan or Jon Stewart. I don't know if CBS is affiliated with the Comedy Channel, but moving Stewart's show would probably be extremely successful against the 2 Jimmy's. I also wonder how successful a more news oriented show would do? But I guess ABC used to do that and stopped to move their talk show Jimmy up.
I may have misheard. Before I left, I heard him mention Stephen Colbert. But, regardless, either Comedy Central star would be successful with their built in audience. Probably won't happen, but wanted to mention the buzzed names. Just saw Louis CK's name mentioned online too.
Respected Contributor

I really really hope it is not Chelsea Handler. Didn't she say she is leaving her show......

Respected Contributor

I will miss Dave. He is the only intelligent one of the bunch. Fallon is good as an entertainer, but doesn't know how to do an interview. Stewart is good on his own type of show (doing reactions about current news) but I don't care for his interview portion that much. Colbert, on the other hand, is good at his reactions to current news AND his interviews are among the best in the business, in my opinion. He asks very intelligent questions. The interview portion of his show is sometimes my favorite part of his show.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/4/2014 wakefield64 said:

I really really hope it is not Chelsea Handler. Didn't she say she is leaving her show......

I can't imagine she'd be able to watch her mouth enough to be on a network show.

Super Contributor

I'd like to see Joel McHale take the show. He's smart, humorous, witty, plus he already has a following from The Soup and Community.