Super Contributor

OSCARS - Who Should Host Next Year?

If you were like millions of other viewers who endured rather than enjoyed more than three-and-one-half hours of that meandering mess of an Academy Awards telecast on Sunday, you discovered that yes, it could be worse than 2011 when they paired Anne Hathaway with James Franco in a effort to attract a younger demographic to the traditionally stodgy broadcast.

This most recent show was presided over by monologue-mumbling, seat-hopping, pizza-ordering, selfie-taking Tweeter Ellen DeGeneres, who seemed lost and disconnected most of the time. Less than an hour into the seemingly endless show, undoubtedly you realized that with all the talent available in Hollywood, there must be someone - anyone! - who can better entertain us and keep it moving.

Who would you like to see host the 87th Annual Academy Awards ceremony in 2015?

=======================================

I'd vote for:

1. Neil Patrick Harris

2. Hugh Jackman

3. Tina Fey (whose American Express comercials during the telecast were hilarious; ten times funnier than the jokes in the show itself)

4. Amy Poehler

5. Billy Crystal (even though the once-incomparable host bombed in his comeback a few years ago)

========================================

10 Most Awkward Moments From The 2014 Oscars

March 02, 2014 by: Matt Dekneef

http://www.hollyscoop.com/ellen-degeneres/10-most-awkward-moments-2014-oscars.html

Honored Contributor

Re: OSCARS - Who Should Host Next Year?

Nobody ever has or ever will top Bob Hope. At least I haven't found anybody. I just wish whoever it is would just, GET ON WITH IT!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I wasn't a big fan of Ellen's. I don't remember laughing at the monologue and didn't like the Liza Minnelli comment. Pizza thing just kept going on and on. Happy to see I wasn't the only one who thought that way.

Neil Patrick Harris doesn't have a big movie presence (I don't think - I know he's done a few things). Amy and Tina are signed to do the Golden Globes again (I think? Aren't they signed for a few years?) so cut them out of your list - can't imagine the same host doing both shows. I unfortunately think Billy Crystal's best shows are behind him and humor has changedm - his audience will skew older. Hugh Jackman is a good choice - I don't think he's done Oscars before, has he? I also read a comment yesterday throwing Jamie Foxx 's name out there as he's an award winning actor, comedian and singer.

Honored Contributor

I think Billy Crystal does a great job. I love at the beginning of the show he will insert himself in some of the best picture nominations. I also like when he does a song production. If the show gave out some of the lesser awards they could pare the show down to a watchable 21/2 hours.
Frequent Contributor

I would love to see Hugh Jackman again...

Esteemed Contributor

Neil Patrick Harris would be awesome as would be Hugh Jackman. Comedians are good; showman are better!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Valued Contributor

I like Ellen, but I was somewhat bored by her hosting. I ALWAYS love Billy Crystal, and I agree with Hugh Jackman and Neil Patrick Harris as next hosts--both extremely talented gentlemen.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting...I also did think that the hosting was not very good! The jokes were very flat and I found myself clicking in and out of the show!! I think the "drama" about the winners had disappeared weeks before the show, as everyone kind of expected the people who won to be the actual winners! The only one that was still "iffy" was the best pic! I think Ellen has had her day and so has Billy Crystal! I really don't know who could top Bob Hope either...he was so good in this role!

Edited to place the word NOT in the right place!!

Respected Contributor

I loved Ellen. I thought this year's telecast was the best in years. Loved the pizza, loved the selfie, loved that all the stars seemed a little less stiff.

I didn't get the joke about Liza Minnelli either and I thought it was so unlike Ellen to be mean, but someone explained that Liza is the most parodied celebrity by male impersonators. Even knowing that now, it seemed the joke fell flat and Liza was not amused. I think Ellen tried to make it up to her later by including her in some other stuff she did.

Hugh Jackman has hosted the Oscars and has said he'll never do it again, even though many felt he was the best host in recent years. It's a thankless job.

I think Ellen was terrific. I loved when she came out as the Good Witch from the Wizard of Oz.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it really matters who the host is, it is so much time that they make them waste just making up time .......... why not just get on with the show with the presenters announcing the choices and then the winners, that is what everyone is there to see!!!