Super Contributor

THE ASSETS - ABC 10 PM ET Tonight (Thurs., Jan. 2nd 2014)

Is anyone planning to watch the 8-part ABC mini-series, The Assets, premiering tonight at 10 PM ET?. This is fact-based, detailing the treasonous exploits of Aldrich Ames, a mole who was sought by the CIA in the 1980s, in order to save the lives of Soviet agents who were engaged in espionage for the U.S.

From the cross-promotional features I've seen on Nightline and ABC World News, it looks authentic, compelling and well-produced, but I'd rather be watching my usual weekly thrill of Scandal on Thursdays at 10 PM.

Super Contributor

Re: THE ASSETS - ABC 10 PM ET Tonight (Thurs., Jan. 2nd 2014)

I'm recording it! DH and I like to watch mini-series, and this one looks good.
Trusted Contributor

They hooked me with the preview. I am recording it also...I watched the first few minutes and it looks very well done. Can't wait. I read many spy thrillers, so it will be fun to watch a story based on facts. Sad as it is that the world is like that.

Contributor

I watched it and was bored stiff. If you have lived through this time then you still remember the big deal it was. I don't need to relive it again. For those younger I suppose it was good. I too would rather be watching scandal. They left off at a interesting part.

Super Contributor

Didn't watch but heard even though it was based on a real event, the show seems to want to be another "The Americans" and is a poor imitation.

If you get a chance to see Season One of "The Americans", do. It is great and Season 2 starts up in February.

Respected Contributor

I watched until the first commercial break, then wandered off to do something more interesting. I think I will record the whole mini-series, then see if it holds my interest as a marathon.

Super Contributor

On 1/4/2014 Marsha2003 said:

I watched until the first commercial break, then wandered off to do something more interesting. I think I will record the whole mini-series, then see if it holds my interest as a marathon.

I'm with you Marsha2003. While undeniably well done, I found it BBB - Boring Beyond Belief.

I suppose I thought The Assets would move along a bit more briskly, similar to The Bourne Identity and that spy series' sequels, but honestly, the premiere of this TV mini-series was just a snoozer for me. Perhaps I can ascribe that to lingering fatigue from total holiday exhaustion (and due to the northeast snowstorm, my Christmas guests still are here).

Valued Contributor

I enjoyed it!