Weekend Preview
142 Members and 11900 Guests Online

TV Talk

NCIS Boss: What Wickersham's Character Adds To Show

Started 1384844788.19 in TV Talk | Last reply 1385704653.91 by keri

NCIS Boss on Emily Wickersham's Character: "She Brings Something New to the Party"

by Liz Raftery tvguide.com - Nov 18, 2013 10:17 PM ET

Ziva who?

This week's episode of NCIS (8/7c, CBS) introduces Ellie Bishop (Emily Wickersham), the character who's been brought in to replace Ziva David (Cote de Pablo), who departed the series earlier this season. But showrunner Gary Glasberg wants longtime fans to rest assured that the show won't be changing that much, despite the presence of a new kid on the block.

"At the end of the day, it's not so much about reinventing or doing anything that different," Glasberg tells TVGuide.com. "NCIS is still NCIS. All of the dynamics are there. ... The vibe of the show is the same, the chemistry is the same, the tone is the same. It's just that we've got this new character and she brings something new to the party."

25 totally unnecessary TV spin-offs

Bishop is an analyst with the National Security Administration who is brought in to consult with the NCIS team on Tuesday's episode, after a hypothetical security threat she previously outlined in a paper comes to fruition.

"We had started to sort of talk about the idea of doing a story line that involves the NSA ... and someone who really kind of looks at things from a global standpoint, someone really wrapped up in sort of the international view of terrorism and the way things work," Glasberg says. "We felt that that could be a fun addition in working with our team."

There isn't any friction per se between Bishop and the existing members of NCIS, but she definitely has her own way of doing things, according to Glasberg. "She's incredibly personable, but at the same time, she's in her own head," he says. "And part of the way that she thinks about things and arrives at things is to sort of isolate herself and close things off and really focus. ... The dynamic between her personality, her eccentricity, her quirk and how she interacts with our group is just fantastic."

The best and worst TV reboots

While the NCIS crew may embrace Bishop with open arms, it's clear that Ziva is still very much on the minds of her former colleagues — Tony (Michael Weatherly) in particular. Last week, viewers learned that Tony's been meeting with a support group to work through some of his issues. So what will help him snap out of his funk? "I think realistically it just takes time," Glasberg says. "This was a big change for Tony DiNozzo, to not have Ziva there and have to rely even more on McGee than he has in the past. ... But we'll get back to the Tony DiNozzo that people know and love. Just like real life, it takes time to get there."

Bishop is still an NSA employee at the end of Tuesday's episode, but Glasberg hints that the seeds will be planted for her transition into NCIS. "We start to see the wheels turning for Gibbs, and by the end of the episode we understand that she's going to stick around for a while," he notes.

Emily Wickersham

Page 1 of 1
JESSA1384863644.32365 PostsRegistered 12/18/2010

I guess time will tell....I still think agent Borin would have been a better replacement.

ballyk1384870455.9434890 PostsRegistered 7/3/2006http://ballyk.shutterfly.com/
On 11/19/2013 JESSA said:

I guess time will tell....I still think agent Borin would have been a better replacement.

ITA

daisy41384936650.8371503 PostsRegistered 6/8/2006

I was not impressed with the new girl. She seems to be a combination of Abby (quirky) and McGee(brainy). Not sure what this adds to the show. Ziva brought more of the international aspects, and I always liked that she spoke so many languages and could understand what the bad guys were saying without them knowing. I also liked her fighting skills when she would take down very large and dangerous bad guys. I don't think we will find that in the new girl. I hope it gets better and the new character brings more to the show. It still feels like an empty space where Ziva used to be. (I also would have liked to see Borin added to the mix.)

Not sure of the new Sec.Nav either. She seems to be channeling Jenny Shepard.

Last edited on 11/20/2013

MamaWick1384945472.2675074 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004I will always be from St. Louis, but I now live in WI

My DH and I really liked Bishop. Can't wait to find out about the wedding ring. Is she or is she not married? I think Bishop held her own last night, especially when she brought down the bad guy at the Post Office. Love that she food associates...my DH does that all the time.

Was really glad to see Leon last night since he has been MIA the last 4 episodes. But now Palmer has been missing for several shows.

The new SecNav is okay. She isn't a series regular, so we won't see her all that often.

Peace, Love and Dogs! Lynne.....

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix

I have OCD and ADD which means everything must be perfect, but not for very long

JESSA1384950429.7872365 PostsRegistered 12/18/2010

I wasn't impressed either...some of Kate, Abbey and Ziva...I think they should have replaced Ziva with a male agent.

12andcount­ing1384959868.034583 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009

I wasn't impressed with the new girl at all. I think casting made a big mistake with this one.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

shoesnbags1385003114.443090 PostsRegistered 6/26/2007New Orleans

OK, now this is really petty, but am I the only one who was bothered by her eyebrows? She has light blond hair and these bushy black eyebrows. I found it so distracting - I kept thinking, if she's going to lighten her hair, why not lighten the eyebrows too? Is this some new fashion trend I'm not aware of?

Shoes

Money talks....but chocolate SINGS!

keri1385008169.7431718 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/20/2013 shoesnbags said:

OK, now this is really petty, but am I the only one who was bothered by her eyebrows? She has light blond hair and these bushy black eyebrows. I found it so distracting - I kept thinking, if she's going to lighten her hair, why not lighten the eyebrows too? Is this some new fashion trend I'm not aware of?

ITA - very distracting indeed. I noticed, too. Clearly Emily Wickersham isn't a natural blonde, and there's nothing wrong with that. Obviously, producers opted for a hair color that was dramatically different and easily distinguishable from both of the female predecessors on the NCIS team.

Perhaps the only reason our minds wandered off in all these different directions (i.e. - eyebrows and wedding rings, as MamaWick, pointed out), is because what was happening on-screen wasn't compelling enough to hold our full attention.

Admittedly, this poor actress, Emily Wickersham, is in an unenviable position. In addition to those who'd have preferred the addition of Diane Neal as Special Agent Abigail Borin, fan favorite Ziva was a tough act to follow. If truth be told, I was prepared to dislike Cote de Pablo when NCIS hired her as the replacement for the recently killed Special Agent Caitlin Todd. Eventually, Ziva won me over. Maybe in time Ellie Bishop will do the same.

MamaWick1385031803.2335074 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004I will always be from St. Louis, but I now live in WI

I agree Keri...she must be given a chance.

Edit: Love when she pulled up to the Post Office in a TRUCK. She is from Oklahoma. Yee-haw.

Last edited on 11/21/2013

Peace, Love and Dogs! Lynne.....

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix

I have OCD and ADD which means everything must be perfect, but not for very long

kimthib1385052605.867965 PostsRegistered 4/1/2006

I thought she was cute. I enjoyed her.

keri1385704653.911718 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

TV Guide's Matt Roush had these thoughts on the new addition:
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Ask-Matt-Scandal-1073533.aspx?obref=obinsite

Question: I am surprised that NCIS made the jump to promote Emily Wickersham to series regular before CBS had a chance to gauge fan feedback from her guest-star arc. I have appreciated how there have been subtle references to Ziva in these last episodes with Tony holding on to her necklace at his desk and admitting he was having difficulty sleeping since returning from Israel solo. I also liked how in the recent episode they left the door open for fan favorite Diane Neal (Agent Borin) to consider joining the NCIS family in the future. While we all knew eventually they would fill Ziva/Cote de Pablo's spot on the team/cast, it seems very rushed while characters and fans are still grieving the loss of their beloved Ninja. What are your thoughts? — Cheryl

Matt Roush: I'll reserve my thoughts until I see her — Ellie Bishop (Wickersham) doesn't even make her first appearance until Tuesday's episode — but I would hope that the show's fans will root for her to fit in, although it's only natural for there to be skepticism and resistance when it comes to filling the void left by such a popular and pivotal character. I'm encouraged that Ellie is so different from Ziva, thus perhaps mitigating the direct comparisons, and to the bigger point, CBS and the show-runners have every right to embrace and endorse this new character without waiting to see how the fans (many of whom aren't yet over Ziva's departure) will welcome her. NCIS has so far done a good job, especially where Tony is concerned, in respecting Ziva by acknowledging the impact of her departure. But at some point they need to move on, and I would have been more surprised if they'd let the entire November sweeps period go by without introducing a new and presumably permanent member of the team. If she ultimately doesn't measure up, fans and other critics are bound to let everyone know, I'm sure. But I'd give her a full season — as a regular — to prove herself.

Page 1 of 1