Fashion & Accessories Clearance
92 Members and 15004 Guests Online

TV Talk

Is the new season of Dr. Oz just too silly?

Started 1378764182.4 in TV Talk | Last reply 1379369753.097 by Julie23

He was on a talk show saying how his new season will be more fun while being informative. That could be, but today the whole show was just too silly for me. Bad enough he is always endosring some kind of new herbal medicine, but combined with this new format, might make me a former fan.

Page 1 of 1
soonersis1378768259.8431222 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

I have to agree, for the season premiere it was rather light-weight. Of course his demonstrations are often childish (IMO think they do that for "entertainment" value) so I'm glad I record his show and fast forward through what is not of interest to me. Sometimes he gives good info and tips, so I will continue to watch in the manner I've been doing.

robomo1378815402.169305 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

I can't stand him anymore. He's such a generalist about things and I don't care to see him play with human organs. Gross! And if we took all the supplements, etc. that he supposedly thinks are great, it would take us hours to take all our pills.

straykatz1378830155.398319 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

He has stated on his show on more than one occassion that he does not endorse anything.....I'm amazed at how many people think they should take every single supplement or herb that gets mentioned on his show.....research!!...google can be your best friend....there can be complicaitons and severe side effects to anything ingested...do your homework.

@-->-->---

Sometimes you just need to take a nap and get over it.

Julie231378831599.6671369 PostsRegistered 11/3/2007

His show was way over-the-top silly for its premiere. I found it ridiculous. Sadly.

rambocat1378832670.3233976 PostsRegistered 1/16/2008
On 9/10/2013 straykatz said:

He has stated on his show on more than one occassion that he does not endorse anything.....I'm amazed at how many people think they should take every single supplement or herb that gets mentioned on his show.....research!!...google can be your best friend....there can be complicaitons and severe side effects to anything ingested...do your homework.

I was in Whole Foods this morning and I heard a customer asking an associate about a supplement that Dr Oz recommended. She didn't know the name of it, just that he talked about it on a recent show. Of course the associate didn't know what she was talking about and suggested that she look thru the supplement section and maybe she could find it.

The associate realized I overheard the conversation and said that she gets the same question several times a day. "Don't know the name of it; but it was on Dr Oz".{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I might watch today's show just to see how its changed. I don't think I've ever seen one of his shows all the way through.

what a long strange trip it's been

straykatz1378835180.9678319 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

rambocat...it's the same at Vitamin Shoppe...in fact I think the sales associates have inside jokes about Dr. Oz....anything mentioned on Dr. Oz show flies off their shelves.....I went in there recently to get some Evening of Primrose - and not because Dr. Oz said so...LOL...I couldn't find it on thier self and when I asked for help one of the other associates overheard me and made a snark about Dr. Oz to the sales clerk helping me....I didn't like his attitude....what business is it to him why I am looking for something to buy....if he had any knowledge of the business he works in then he would know women use evening of primrose for various reasons like for hot flashes and night sweats...I contacted their main office to voice my complaint towards the unprofessionalism inside their store.

@-->-->---

Sometimes you just need to take a nap and get over it.

Julie231378845482.1931369 PostsRegistered 11/3/2007

Wow, today he dressed up as a woman for one of the segments.

Last edited on 9/10/2013

Last edited on 9/10/2013

Phantom411378847861.2764 PostsRegistered 6/11/2008KU Country

He's gone the "Dr. Phil" route for me. Too much of a good thing! I used to like both of them in small doses.

rambocat1378850311.433976 PostsRegistered 1/16/2008

I watched the first 30 min of today's show with Steven Tyler. I noticed something that I've also seen on the View...the audience applauds way too much. Every other sentenced had the audience applauding. Is this normal for this show? I find it very distracting.

Julie231378852919.1371369 PostsRegistered 11/3/2007
On 9/10/2013 rambocat said:

I watched the first 30 min of today's show with Steven Tyler. I noticed something that I've also seen on the View...the audience applauds way too much. Every other sentenced had the audience applauding. Is this normal for this show? I find it very distracting.

I didn't notice the applause; but, that part seemed more about Steven Tyler personally/celebrity/etc.

Both the silliness and celebrity guests seem like an attempt to boost ratings.

rambocat1378925928.3433976 PostsRegistered 1/16/2008
On 9/10/2013 rambocat said:

I just realized that I made a mistake. I meant to say the Talk, not the View. The audience on the Talk is one of the reasons I quit watching.

deja vu1378932442.996137 PostsRegistered 7/9/2007East Coast

I've only seen one show but he had to do something to keep people watching...the demo's of medical topics he used were so ridiculous that I stopped watching all together.

I think he's trying to bring in more current events just like all the other daytime and evening shows are doing. Don't know how much improvement it will be as I've only watched one show, but it's better to me so far !

~ life is short~pick your battles ~

keri1378945335.9971515 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Sorry to hear that Dr. Oz has dumbed-down his show. Do the producers honestly believe this will garner more viewers? Is it worth it to do so at the expense of loyal long-time fans?

Occasionally The Doctors will descend into tacky game show mode and that's when I change the channel. There's enough silliness on TV already; we don't need it on a show that's supposed to be educational and informative.

The Doctors new season is merely three days old, but already I've noticed a few changes aimed at mass appeal: shorter segments, faster pace titillating topics and the promotion of guest expert Dr. Rachel Ross, an M.D. and s~e~xologist to regular cast.

soonersis1378955769.9771222 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

After watching the show today I began to think maybe Dr. Oz has jumped the shark. So glad I record it so I can fast forward through a lot of it. May get to the point where I don't even record it if it doesn't improve.

Stargazer771378956269.5136195 PostsRegistered 10/24/2006

I've watched Dr. Oz here and there in the past and decided to start DVR'ing this season. I agree with the silliness comments. Maybe they're trying something new for this season, but I'm glad I can fast forward through it. I haven't learned very much so far.

depglass1378997708.1523400 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Just mentioning it on his show is an "endorsement." He's a snake oil salesman as far as I'm concerned, I totally ignore him.

Julie231379369753.0971369 PostsRegistered 11/3/2007
On 9/11/2013 keri said:

Sorry to hear that Dr. Oz has dumbed-down his show. Do the producers honestly believe this will garner more viewers? Is it worth it to do so at the expense of loyal long-time fans?

Occasionally The Doctors will descend into tacky game show mode and that's when I change the channel. There's enough silliness on TV already; we don't need it on a show that's supposed to be educational and informative.

The Doctors new season is merely three days old, but already I've noticed a few changes aimed at mass appeal: shorter segments, faster pace titillating topics and the promotion of guest expert Dr. Rachel Ross, an M.D. and s~e~xologist to regular cast.

Well said. I agree!

Page 1 of 1