Fall Fashion Clearance
122 Members and 16834 Guests Online

Community

curly hair help. what to do ? ouidad.? deva curl.? wen?

Started 1336091855.503 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1336845514.797 by MissButtercup

i m 52 and have decided not to fight my curls/waves another summer,, this is huge for me but, over due. help me make the change. and i hope to inspire other curly girls to let their manes go free. (with style of course) i m a 2c 3a according to naturally curly. i would love to see some before and after pics with the use of the right hair products.

Page 1 of 2
dglvr21336092100.783434 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010long island

me too!!! i have damaged my hair so bad w/keratin,japanese straightening and flat ironing...i have decided to give my hair a break...but it is sooo dry and damaged..i too would appreciate any input...right now i am just letting it dry naturally and putting it an a bun or ponytail!

jazzbabe1336093145.842742 PostsRegistered 12/14/2007

I have tried both Ouidad and Deva Curl products and had Ouidad and Deva Curl cuts. I prefer Deva Curl but YMMV depending on your hair and the stylist. I think I have 3A/B curls. During the fall/winter I usually wet set my hair on big rollers thus achieving a straighter look. In the spring/summer I just wash-n-go and rock my natural curls. I basically follow the curly girl method with either Wen or another moisturizing conditioner. I have thought about the keratin treatment but am worried that it would eliminate my curls and I like rocking my curls. The naturally curly website has a lot of good info.

dsky1336094858.1431051 PostsRegistered 1/3/2009

Wen might be nice to try. I also like Bumble and Bumble Curl Concious cream to hold the curls and keep down the frizz. They also make a shampoo and conditioner for curly hair. The cream comes in two formula's, one for fine to medium and the other for thick hair.

KweenB1336096240.632154 PostsRegistered 11/27/2010

I'm 52 with naturally curly hair!

I recently switched from Wen to John Frieda due to the cost of Wen. I've been using the John Frieda for almost 2 months and I have to say that I'm impressed and loving the results. I use the Smooth Start shampoo and conditioner. I follow with the light serum, and top it off with the mousse. Scrunch it (or twist it) and go! I have no frizz and the curl seems to look good all day. The stuff also doesn't make your hair feel stiff and crunchy - I hate that!

Go to Youtube and search for John Frieda's channel. They have a lot of videos on styling hair with their products.

KatCat11336097775.80316756 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

You may want to consider Aveda or Aquage hair products. They have excellent hair products and both have websites.

Bashful1336099268.82219 PostsRegistered 4/26/2006

Hi Belltrinka,

I decided the same thing about 6 weeks ago. I have fought my hair for 50 years and am tired of it just being fried and damaged by hair dryer, flat iron, hot rollers, etc. Someone else mentioned the naturallycurlydotcom website. There is a wealth of knowledge there!

There's a learning curve to going natural. A few things I've learned during my experimenting... don't use a terry cloth towel on curly hair. Too rough a texture that will cause frizz. Use an old t-shirt and squeeze the water out of your hair. (I flip my head over and squeeze or push my hair up to my head and hold with the t-shirt) Never "ruffle" it through your hair. This causes frizz too.

I've also discovered that although I like the hold and frizz control of gel (use a generous amount, at least a quarter size or more on soaking wet hair before drying with t-shirt) it does leave my hair crunchy and dull looking. No shine. Just flat. After your hair is dry you can scrunch out the crunch. Flip your head over and squeeze while pushing it up to your head.

I discovered products from a line called Jessicurl. Cleansing cream, shea conditoner, gel like product and curling cream. Still figuring out what works best for me but do like them. But I also like One 'n Only Curl Cream and a curling pudding from Sally Beauty Supply. Can't remember the name off hand. Curls Unleashed curl cream or something. (use sparingly at first cause it will make your hair look greasy if you use too much. I use about a nickle size amount on damp hair after t-shirt dried.

It's just trial and error to see what works for you. Do check out the website mentioned though cause there's a lot of info.

Sorry I got wordy but hope it helps.

Bashful

belltrinka1336099582.34796 PostsRegistered 9/4/2011

thanks curly sistas

perdesah1336112557.29780 PostsRegistered 4/20/2010

I just did a review on Hair Rule I really like that http://pcobeauty.blogspot.com/2012/05/hair-rules-review.html

snowangelm1336134771.807211 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007

Love the deva curl...started with the trial kit which included a book about Embracing your curls...lots of great info in it. I use that system and AG recoil to scrunch in my curls. Tried ouidad, wen, with no luck.

jacnit1336136074.7772191 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010

I've gone from very short to just about 1 1/2 inch below my chin..my goal is just sweeping my shoulders. I'm 56 and have straightened, battled my curls & waves for so long & decided to let it grow so i can pull it up in a bun,etc..especially in hot summer weather. I think the curls definately look a lot better w/longer hair though. It's a little bit hard to get used to that "curly" look after straightening it for so long but I'm also determined to go with the flow this summer!

havetoshop1336137246.823172 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I get my hair cut at Devachan in NY and love my stylist. I have used Wen, Deva and a number of others both high and low priced.

My holy grail is now Suave clarifying conditioner as a no poo and I use it as a leave in cream. I encourage you to watch the You tube video on styling fromthe Deva website. It takes a one or two times to catch on- but it makes sense and is simple.

The key for me was learning how to style my hair and they taught me an easy way at Devachan. It made all the difference. I no longer spend hundreds on every new product in the market.

Good luck and enjoy!

brandiwine1336139754.9132323 PostsRegistered 11/9/2006Colorado

DEVA CURL! Makes my curls soft and well defined.

Shaunac1336140737.143007 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010
On 5/4/2012 brandiwine said:

DEVA CURL! Makes my curls soft and well defined.

Never heard of it. Where do I buy it?

Shauna

Beachluvr1336141502.587551 PostsRegistered 5/16/2005
My hat is off to you ladies (as long as my hair is straight underneath). I have been fighting my curls as long or longer than some of you but no way do the curls win! Fortunately my hair is not damaged and the majority of people believe my hair is straight with volume and it is shiny. I really don't like the way I look with curly hair. I feel again like the little girl I once was looked like Shirley Temple on the good ship lollipop. Once last year while at the beach I let my hair be natural. I received many comments that people were surprised I had that much curl BUT NOT ONE COMPLIMENT! Honestly my curl is not uniform at all and it just isn't pretty and I miss the shine! So I'm proud of you all but I must keep up the fight. I prefer to do that than fight to get the curls looking right.

txrose1336141767.75943 PostsRegistered 10/16/2007

i use ouidad, have been using this product line now for a couple of years when i too decided not to fight the waves, first get yourself a good hair cut with someone who can cut curls/waves so your hair is easy to work with then try the products such as deva curl, ouidad and some others and see which one works best for you. ouidad has a great deep conditioner that really helps with dry/damaged hair. hope this helps

belltrinka1336261935.9196 PostsRegistered 9/4/2011

yuo can buy deva curls at ulta or amazon.

UMTerpFan1336344721.921651 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010

I stopped fighting my curls years ago when I tried straightening my hair and half of it fell out or I fried it when ironing it. My hair is fine & naturally curly and I've been doing the CO washing (cleansing with conditioner - no shampoo). I experiment with conditioners but lately I am really liking Redken Body Full and Sexy Hair Curly Sexy Hair Moisturizing Conditioner combined together with a tiny dab of Skinactives Sea Kelp Ultramarine and my hair is loving this combination. Use it like WEN in that you put on wet hair, add water to get a sudsy lather, leave on for 3 to 5 minutes then rinse. I finish with a cold water rinse. Blot hair dry, don't wring it or wrap it in a towel. Then I use a tiny dab of Morrocan Oil about the size of a bean, rub between palms and put on hair from mid shaft to ends, then roots to mid shaft (as you want most on the older part of the hair). I also use Living Proof Full Thickening Mousse. Then I use about a bean size amount of TiGi Curls Rock Curls Amplifyer emulsifed on wet palms and scrunch into my hair. I let my hair air dry, I don't blow dry that makes my hair frizzy, not curly. I'll usually sit under my ceiling fan and scrunch my hair and flip my head down so it gets the underneath while I'm putting on makeup. I think this cleansing method helps to keep color longer as it doesn't seem to fade as fast. Plus my hair is healthier. I go for long breaks between cuts, the last time it was 4 months and my stylist said my hair was in great condition, that I didn't have any split ends. It may take some work for you to find what works best for you but experiment. I love my curls and would never trade them in for straight hair now.

belltrinka1336494584.66396 PostsRegistered 9/4/2011

thanks for all the advice. I'm still in the trail and error phase of going curly. It has been very liberating not to blow dry, flat iron then smooth out with large rollers only to look "puffy" in less than an hour. i wish i would have started this sooner.

minky41336499666.023171 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Pac Northwest

I have a chin-length A-line bob of fine, naturally curly hair with corkscrew-type curls. I have been conditioner-only washing with a shampoo about once a week for awhile now. The trick with curly hair is to add your styling products when it's still fairly wet. When I get out of the shower I run a pick through and then lightly scrunch my hair from tip to root with a towel and that helps form the curls. I then take about 4 pumps of Enjoy Volumizing Mousse and scrunch into my hair. I blowdry with a diffuser until about 90% dry and then scrunch in a nickel size amount of Enjoy Texturizing Paste making sure to get to my roots. I finish diffusing, flip my head upside down and work in Short Sexy Hair Play Dirty pomade which helps hold the curl and adds some volume. I do another quick turn with the hairdryer and I'm done. That might sound like a lot of steps but it's actually pretty quick and works well for me and my style of curls.

Love to re­ad1336510436.671681 PostsRegistered 11/3/2008Southern Indiana
On 5/5/2012 belltrinka said:

yuo can buy deva curls at ulta or amazon.

You can also get it at Drugstore.com - free shipping with $25 purchase and lots of good sales.

soccer-lax­-mom1336513722.3431036 PostsRegistered 2/1/2007

OUIDAD!! I got my first ouidad cut 1 1/2 years ago and am so glad. I get it cut about every 5 months. go onto the Ouidad site to find a certified salon. I now only use Ouidad products - they are amazing. You can get them online at Ouidad, or Ulta, or Sephora.

bonnie

kaybee1336516202.058306 PostsRegistered 7/3/2006Wisconsin

I don't know why anyone fights their curls?

I've always just used Suave Coconut Shampoo & Conditioner then a good leave in (right now I have Redken Fresh Curls) and last time I ran out of light gel /mousse I found 'LA Looks Cashmere Curls' real cheap on the grocery store shelf! It was only a few bucks and it's great as a light gel/mousse.

belltrinka133651687296 PostsRegistered 9/4/2011

what is an OUIDAD cut? i also saw someone say they had adeva curl cut?

DonnaQ1336524618.367471 PostsRegistered 7/23/2005

Deva is great will always have it at hand, but I also use a shampoo & contitioner that are relatively new in the market, Neuma, you can buy at some hair salons & at Amazon (perhaps at other retailers as well).

Page 1 of 2