TSV(R) Preview
15 Members and 8601 Guests Online

Community

Plantar Facsiitis

Started 1334169955.413 in Health & Fitness | Last reply 1334473806.15 by Fortune

Does anyone have Plantar Fasciitis? My feet have been hurting like crazy and I have this and wear really good shoes to work...and my feet feel ok, but at home been wearing slippers and my feet just start aching. For work I wear Aerosoles and Naturalizers with a small heel. I had an hour long reflexology foot massage last weekend, feet felt great, I wake up the next day with that severe ache! Omg the massage didn't last more than a day! I've just ordered some slip on Easy Spirit sneaker mules to wear around the house instead of slippers and also ordered some New Balance Running shoes to wear for walks and the gym. With flip flop season fast approaching what am I going to do, my feet hurt already and haven't even worn the flip flops yet! Any other advice to get my feet to start feeling better? I know it takes time...

Momma to 2 Dachshunds and 1 Bernese Mountain Dog!
45 yrs old, Northern CA
Ladyjenn

Page 1 of 2
Room2Breat­he1334170514.57104 PostsRegistered 11/10/2011
I work in a podiatry office and we see patients with that diagnosis almost every day. In the vast majority of cases, custom orthotics help greatly. Do some research on podiatrists in your area and make an appointment. Hope you can find some relief.

Seashoregi­rl1334170702.21807 PostsRegistered 11/11/2007

Orthodics for your shoes help. I got them from my podiatrist. They help with any shoe that you can tie. I can't wear Naturalizers, Aerosoles or Easy Spirit. They don't help me----they just make it worse. I wear Orthaheels and Birkenstocks in the summer. They really help. You can also discuss cortizone shots with your doctor. They do help. Good luck and don't wear anything without arch support.

cmoose1334170752.457466 PostsRegistered 10/16/2006Southern New Hampshire

Oh I feel your pain!! I had PF for a VERY long time. Mostly in my right foot, but on and off in the left as well. It has gone completely away. I have no idea why, it just slowly got better.

I saw a foot doctor when it was really bad. He wanted to do cortisone shots...no thanks doc!! He did gave me some inserts for my shoes ( not the super expensive ones. They were kind of generic ones he had in the office that he customized with some padding and tape.) I think those really did help. Kept my feet from pronating. Also I would run my foot over a tennis ball really hard for a few minutes every night. It felt good and I think sort of relaxed the muscles.

It really can be so painful. You may want to check with a dr. and see if there is something that would help. Good luck!!

theBabe1334170963.743917 PostsRegistered 6/16/2010the USA

I have it in my right foot from wearing cheap shoes for years with hardly any arch support. I switched to Birki's and it's taken a year of wearing them but my foot rarely hurts now. (Only if I go barefoot around the house for too long).

thatgirldeb1334172202.73454 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

I have had this for several years now and nothing has worked for me. I had seen a podiatrist, have custom orthotics, had cortizone and physical therapy treatments. Some days are better than others, but it has never gone away. No one can know how painful this is until you have it yourself. Best of luck.

Ladyjenn1334172292.8232211 PostsRegistered 10/27/2010Northern CA

Yes i do have a few inserts and they do help, but with summer coming I won't be using them. I have them in all my ugg boots....which I know are horrible for your feet. I'm trying the new balance sneakers recommended for plantar fasciitis, hope they help!

45 yrs old, Northern CA
Ladyjenn

Ladyjenn1334172432.7332211 PostsRegistered 10/27/2010Northern CA

I would try orthaheel but they are so uncomfortable and hard as a rock. If they had ones with softer soles I would order them for sure...

45 yrs old, Northern CA
Ladyjenn

Starfish1334172910.827105 PostsRegistered 1/29/2007

Been there and done that! First of all, the advice to see a podiatrist is absolutely the first thing you should do. The dr will probably recommend icing the arch/heel area. That gives some relief. I had a shot of cortizone because I was going to go to Europe and I needed to be able to walk. I tried orthotics and they gave some relief too. But finally I had to succumb to surgery. Sister, I am so glad I did. It was about a 6 week recovery (ugly boot thing you see around) But I have never even thought about it since. The pain just got so bad I had to do something. My husband didn't have to do it. He stretches the foot against a wall (good exercise for the heel) You need to stretch that tendon. The pain is caused by a heel spur and the tendon gets inflamed by the spur. Ibuprofen worked a little but if any of these alternatives don't work--and you should try them all--don't be afraid of the surgery. Easy outpatient procedure. Good luck!

katieqr1334173481.737335 PostsRegistered 7/10/2008

I have had PF for about a year and a half in my left foot and yes it can be horribly painful. I did see a podiatrist and he put me on anti-inflamatory first and then I had to have a cortisone shot... the shot worked perfectly for about three months and then it flared back up. I did not go back to the dr but started rolling the foot on a tennis ball kept in the freezer every night and morning.... I could never wear the boots the dr prescribed at night, they were too uncomfortable, but I do lay my foot in it every time I am watching tv for extending periods of time and it helps, I stretch my foot all the time...

But when I started noticing the most difference was when I started doing some beginning yoga... the stretching of the feet and the legs in yoga was a huge benefit to me. This was very basic, beginning yoga... it's unbelievable how much it helps.

And I ordered my first pair of Orthaheels... a pair of sandals... yes, they feel sorta of hard at first but I found that arch support an unbelievable relief from the pain. So, I know wear Birki's, Orthaheels or Merrell shoes all the time and I have little to no pain now.

Krimpette1334174088.3610184 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007MidAtlantic

When I had PF, the two things that helped me the most were: 1) exercising. You can use a can or you can purchase a rocking device. You rock the foot back and forth several times, several times a day. I purchased the rocking device and I would stand on it with the affected foot, hold onto the wall, and rock back and forth. Again, several reps at a time, several times a day. 2) I also purchased a brace-type of device to wear to bed at night. It would stretch the plantar facia all night long. Clearly, it was clunky to wear, but it did help.

Another thing I heard recently was that first thing in the morning, put on a supportive shoe before getting out of bed. I never tried that, since I no longer have the condition (thankfully!).

PF has got to be one of the more painful afflictions one gets. I go to an exercise class a few times a week. One of the ladies there is currently suffering from PF. She has always been the sweetest lady - until now. She has become very withdrawn. She's in constant pain.

I'd love to know what causes PF, so I can be sure to never get it again!

Zcat1334174134.0472700 PostsRegistered 2/3/2010Florida

Like the previous poster, I recommend wearing an ankle brace to bed at night -- the kind they sell in the pharmacy will work. Keeping your ankle (dorsi) flexed will keep the plantar surface from tightening while you sleep.

Last edited on 4/11/2012

Last edited on 4/11/2012

Nightowlz1334175520.9339706 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Well don't wear those flip flops or go barefoot. Do some stretches. You can search online to find some. Roll your foot over a tennis ball. I use a goosebump massage ball. Wear shoes with good arch support. I had PF in my right foot. I think I got mine from going barefoot & standing in the kitchen on the hard ceramic tile floor. I wore fly flot, birks, & ryka tennis shoes, did some stretches & it went away eventually. It did take a while. I started going barefoot again & it started to come back so I put my shoes back on. It's been gone for several years. I'm back barefoot again & now have it in my left foot. I'm going to have to keep my shoes on & do some stretches or it will not get better. I wear these fly flot sandals around the house. They are supposed to be anatomically correct for your feet.

Last edited on 4/11/2012

Last edited on 4/11/2012

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Vineyard G­irl1334185680.752676 PostsRegistered 2/10/2008

This is what cured my PF: I went to a podiatrist who taped my foot into a position that stretched the plantar facia. The tape stayed on my foot for a complete week. I put a plastic bag on when showering and returned to the podiatrist at the end of the week to have it removed and again retaped for another week. It was amazing how well this method worked for me. After the second tape was removed, I had absolutely no more pain. I am sorry that I waited so long to see a podiatrist. I initially went to an ortho Dr. and I can't tell you how many visits I had with absolutely no positive results. Don't waste your time and see your podiatrist. Absolutely the best!

sue521334188323.4631247 PostsRegistered 11/8/2004

I wear Birkenstocks from the time I get up until I go to bed. The podiatrist I went to gave me some orthodics to put in my shoes. They weren't expensive; I bet you can find the same thing at Walmart or someplace. I have lately bought some Orthaheels; They're the same idea as Birkis. I like the Birkenstocks with two straps (Sydney). They may take some getting used to. I can now wear regular shoes but usually have the Birkis on.

Hildegarde­ Withers1334188927.49711690 PostsRegistered 11/9/2011

About a year ago, my feet started hurting after I did a lot of walking. I never had trouble before. Could be age creeping up.

Anyway, I started wearing insoles & didn't have trouble after that. And I also wear more expensive gym shoes with a thicker sole.

celebration1334189590.717717 PostsRegistered 11/8/2006rochester hills, mi & celebration, fl

The only way I have found to prevent PF is to wear the right, supportive shoes. I suffered for years, off and on, with PF. Podiatrist gave me orthotics originally and they helped. Now, I basically wear Orthaheels, Birkenstocks or a similar higher quality supportive shoe. I even have a pair I use a slippers. I have been following that plan for about 5 years now and have had no problems.

Just to add: I also have some "cute" shoes that I wear when I get dressed up. I just got a pair of Tahari 4" wedge platform heels with a linen vamp and gold/woven linen heel. So cute. But, I only wear them for the evening. Then, back to the Orthaheels!

Hope you find relief soon.

"Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder."

Miuccia Prada

celebration1334189591.38717 PostsRegistered 11/8/2006rochester hills, mi & celebration, fl

Sorry. Double post..

Last edited on 4/11/2012

Last edited on 4/11/2012

"Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder."

Miuccia Prada

lizzief1334191614.452619 PostsRegistered 9/27/2011
Time to see your family doctor or a podiatrist, girlfriend. Lots of people have generously offered their opinions, but it's always dangerous to self-diagnose. You could do more harm than good. There are a multitude of things that could be causing your problem, from the simple to the complex. Once you have a correct diagnosis, you can be on your way to relief. Good luck!

bow regard1334196374.5733713 PostsRegistered 4/16/2009...the Long & Winding road.....

Very painful. I had in both feet at same time. My orthopedist called it "inflamed ligaments". Mine lasted for about a year. This is what I learned to do:

Flex, flex, flex my feet. Stand on a step and let your heels drop and hold for 10 seconds or so or however long you can hold and then bring them up and stand on your toes and hold them for a 10 second or however-long-you-can-hold count.....do this over and over again....you can't overdo it. Before you get out of bed and stand up, hold your legs over the side of the bed and flex them. Every time I sat down and had to stand up to walk, it was so painful and I learned to flex them before I stood up to walk.

Freeze a bottle of water and then roll it on the floor with your foot. It will feel good and the icing of the foot is supposed to help.

What Vineyard Girl had done, makes a lot of sense to me.

Today I wear the Orthaheel Tide sandal almost non-stop. I never go barefoot any more. I wear any shoe I want when going out. I just try to make sure they have good arch support and all and when I get back home and am just running errands out and about, I'm back in the Orthaheel. I walk every day and have a very good athletic walking shoe that I like.

My doctor has told me to flex my feet every day for the rest of my life.

Best of luck to you.....hang in there!

mom of 71334196785.792083 PostsRegistered 4/10/2010
On 4/11/2012 Vineyard Girl said:

This is what cured my PF: I went to a podiatrist who taped my foot into a position that stretched the plantar facia. The tape stayed on my foot for a complete week. I put a plastic bag on when showering and returned to the podiatrist at the end of the week to have it removed and again retaped for another week. It was amazing how well this method worked for me. After the second tape was removed, I had absolutely no more pain. I am sorry that I waited so long to see a podiatrist. I initially went to an ortho Dr. and I can't tell you how many visits I had with absolutely no positive results. Don't waste your time and see your podiatrist. Absolutely the best!

My husband did the same exact taping of his foot and it worked!! Anyone can google Plantar Facia to see how it's done. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

csv3201334200338.2276724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

If you don't want to be bothered with the taping, there is a plantar fascitis night splint which is very effective. Google it, so you can see what it's about.

Like others have said, check with a chiropodist first before self treating.

annabellet­hecat1334201340.05314436 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
I went from dr to dr being told it was everything. Nothing helped. I had special orthodics made 2x's. Terrible pain. Then I went to a Dr who had just left the Army as an orthopedic Dr. He said "go home. Get in the shower. Turn on the very warm water. Stand with your feet flat. Lean to the wall keeping your feet flat. Let the hot water run over the calves and down your leg. Do not bounce. You should feel the stretch in your calves but more importantly down the heel area. Do this for several days. You are stretching the Achilles heel. It got rid of my pain. I have had 2 of my friend's do it and it took away their pain. You might try it. It doesn't cost anything, just some of your time. Good luck.

Ladyjenn1334343017.4672211 PostsRegistered 10/27/2010Northern CA

I was diagnosed with PF already, that's why I have the ortho inserts and stuff. I have been stretching the last few days and yes wow, what a difference! I'm waiting for my NEW BALANCE walking sneakers to arrive and also ordered some CROCS for walking around the house and when I wake up! I may try that brace as well, thank you ladies, a wealth of info! The stretches really are amazing and feel so good, as well as the tennis ball under my feet!

45 yrs old, Northern CA
Ladyjenn

FunNurse1334435179.017191 PostsRegistered 9/27/2008
Stretches, ibuprofen, wearing shoes w arch support and comfy heels, cushioned pad at sink all worked for me. I saw podiatrist but he really only wanted to sell me orthotics. Good luck.

aprildreams1334438326.3371373 PostsRegistered 5/2/2007

I have had PF for years. It is not bothering me now, and I walk 2-3 miles a day. When it was acting up, I did stretching exercises....first thing in the morning (look them up online). Then I iced my heels down with frozen peas for 20 min...3 times a day. I also NEVER went barefoot. I wore croc type shoes in the house (still do). I wore birkenstocks or shoes that I could put birkinstock orthotics in. Finally (took a few months) it went away. Now, first thing in the morning when I get out of bed, I do my stretching exercise. Never go barefoot.....and wear croc style shoes in the house. I found some flip flops on ebay that are really cute and comfortable that I wear in the summer. They have really supportive soles. Type in flower flip flops on ebay. They come in different colors and have a big fluffy flower on the top. Really cute.

Page 1 of 2