Boot Boutique
94 Members and 11016 Guests Online

Community

Getting Rid of Skinny Clothes :-(

Started 1333822138.95 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1334010457.13 by Makeup Hoarder

Three years ago I was 30 pounds lighter and 3 sizes smaller than I am now. I was newly divorced at the time, had lost weight, and bought lots of fun and sexy clothes. Since that time the weight slowly krept back on and despite numerous attempts to lose it, I remain at this weight. As if that wasn't bad enough, I"m now faced with a closet that overfloweth as I've gradually been adding to my "skinny" clothes with "not-so-skinny" clothes. I'd put off the dreaded chore of getting rid of the skinny clothes long enough and today decided to face the inevitable. I'm having such a hard time letting go of the idea that I'll (probably) never wear these clothes again but I feel that I've clung to that hope long enough. It's not that I'm giving up on trying to lose the weight, it's just that I feel that I need to face the truth and accept that I'm no longer "skinny". I'm finding that sorting through and packing up the skinny clothes is a very difficult process... those clothes seemed to represent a certain special time of my life and I want it back. I don't want to become "matronly" and "frumpy" but that's what I feel like I've become.

Has anybody else ever had to do this and if so, what advice can you offer?

I've kept out a pair of my most favorite "skinny" jeans to act as a reminder to help me to get back there but I also don't want to have to feel bad and get depressed every time I see them. Help!

Life's short. Knit fast.

Page 1 of 2
Kathleen1333823683.53712890 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

If your experience is anything like mine, as soon as I got rid of the skinny clothes, all my weight loss efforts started to show and I lost the weight I had gained. Murphy's Law?

So the bright side ... you can go shopping again when you lose it!!

house_cat1333824054.9137920 PostsRegistered 6/28/2009Southern California

Nooooooo... don't get rid of them yet! See the thread I just posted about WW online {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I need all the friends I can get.

>^..^< house cat

songbird1333824374.9871951 PostsRegistered 12/31/2004

No way! You were skinny once, you can be again. If anthing the site of thos cute clothes should inspire you.

Either that, or give them to me. I'm a size 2 and I'm happy for more clothes.

Hang in there. You'll be skinny again.

morganjen1333826151.832644 PostsRegistered 11/25/2004

I wish I had never gotten rid of my skinny clothes! I got off Lexapro and lost all the weight I had gained because of it. So now I'm having to build a new wardrobe from scratch.

lhs431333826502.143398 PostsRegistered 10/19/2011

Don't get rid of them! I recently lost the extra 35 pounds I had been carrying for the past 5 years. I took it off in 5 months!!!! For me, it was a matter of getting good and disgusted with my fat self and taking control of my emotional eating. Every day is like a new adventure for me again. Taking out the old "skinny" clothes and being in disbelief that I can wear them again. I have a whole new wardrobe without spending a penny, lol! Even my DH compliments me. For the first time in years, I'm actually looking forward to the warmer weather and unveiling my new svelte body. You CAN do it!

IluvEeyore1333826536.483907 PostsRegistered 4/8/2008

I also have about 30 pounds to lose and have clothes I have been holding onto that no longer fit. My son's preschool is having a clothing drive, and I am going to donate the clothes that are in good condition.

I joined WW online a few weeks ago and I am very motivated to lose the weight - but it will take some tme to lose 30 pounds. I think donating the clothes is good both for charity and for the psychological sense of renewal. I know I can and will lose the weight. But maybe as I lose the weight I can treat myself to a new item or two that reflects both my weight loss and how I have evolved. Some of the clothes I have I would no longer wear anyway because my tastes have changed. Don't be discouraged - look at this as a new opportunity and challenge!

Good luck to all of us on the weight loss journey! Smile

StylishLady1333827920.4833943 PostsRegistered 11/25/2009Florida

I'm in my "skinny clothes" still after a bit of weight loss. Gave away and stashed away my size 10-14 things and replaced them with size 6-8. I recently tried on a size 8 leather dress and it was snug. Time to lose a few more pounds after Easter.

"snug" typed as "sung"

Last edited on 4/7/2012

Last edited on 4/7/2012

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1333829787.4971616 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
Yarnaholic...I am with you and I feel your pain. I have clothes, lots of them from twenty plus years and 80 pounds ago. I keep hoping that I will lose the weight and be able to wear these clothes again. After all, they just do not make clothes to the same quality anymore. But, I think you are very brave and practical to get rid of yours if you want to. It is like shedding old weight in a way, to get rid of things that are just taking up space and not being used.

wineaux1333830405.193399 PostsRegistered 1/11/2011

Yarn,

I too recently went through a divorce...horrific experience. While we split late in 2008, it took two full years for it to finalize. During that time, I lost a lot of weight and like you, spent a lot of money on new clothes. Shortly after things were finalized, I started packing it back on and gained close to 30 lbs. Only now, have I been in a place to face it head on, and actually do something about it. I'm struggling SO hard but am determined! As for my skinny clothes... I bagged them up but am not going to give them up just yet.

Last edited on 4/7/2012

Last edited on 4/7/2012

ninjasmom1333830595.28489 PostsRegistered 3/25/2011Mt Clemens Michigan

Hi Yarnaholic, I feel your pain.I have gained about 30 lbs,evrerytime I go into my closet I want to cry.But you know what?its only clothes.I have started selling my old clothes (many unworn)on ebay and purchasing new clothes in my current size on ebay as well.It it almost an even trade and to tell you the truth,I feel better having some pretty clothes that fit.Keeping the skinny clothes could be holding you back.

Let go of the past,embrace the present!Let someone elso enjoy your old clothes and get yourself something special,you deserve it.There will always be lots of new fashions to entice you.

Good Luck.you are not alone.

Brown Sugar1333830672.5875991 PostsRegistered 4/12/2007Near Lake Erie in OH.

Chiming in here.

I wouldn't give them away I would just store them away for now. Out of sight, out of mind. There is no reason why you couldn't lose the weight again. You did it before, it can be done again. Good Luck.Smile

I can only please one person a day...Today is Not Your Day....tommorow is not looking good either!
Hello Friday, I've been looking for you all week.
Minds are like parachutes, They only function when open!

Daysdee1333830863.0118844 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

I'm cleaning and trying to organize closets today. My problem is I have way too many clothes, but they all fit. Some winter items I didn't wear this year, but they are like new so I can't part with them. The price of buying replacements would be three times what I paid for them. Have a Sports Savvy item on today that I have had probably 7 years and it looks like new. I am giving away one jacket from QVC since it is jacquard and it looks like a sofa. I'm keeping the matching shirt and pants and will wear a white jacket with them instead. I understand everyone's dilemma since it is so hard for me to part with clothing that fits, no spots, etc. I'm not into trends anyway so at my age they all still seem appropriate. I'm going to make a point to try to rotate more items and wear them instead of just seeing them in the closet from season to season. I'm still working on this today and will continue.

luvmyteddy1333831209.388450 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Land of Oz

I gave away all my skinny clothes to my mom's nurses and a good friend who never has money to buy new clothes. It was hard but they were so happy to receive all the sizes I gave away and it's nice when I see them worn. Now I have new clothes so I am happy too. I can't lose any weight because of meds but that's okay. I would rather feel better. At my age I am over being a size 2-4.

PeaceKeeper1333831697.851388 PostsRegistered 11/6/2007

I only have a second & I haven't read all the posts, but just let me add my two cents, please...

GET RID OF THEM!!! Wink

I just lost a ton of weight (pun intended) and all of my "skinny" clothes are SO outdated!

Have fun shopping once you've lost the weight!

I am having loads of fun shopping for all the new styles right now...

TRULY...CHUCK them and start walking...even around the house. You'll be surprised how fast you'll be back at the mall or online with the Q shopping for new clothes again!

GOOD LUCK!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

HB glamma1333831931.057698 PostsRegistered 8/23/2011Southern california
I am sure you are a beautiful lady no matter what the size. Remember it is ONLY a NUMBER!! Wear what looks nice on and fits well and go out into the world with a smile, confidence and a joyous heart and you will be just fine. I speak from experience having once been an 8 and now a happy size 12-14. Some things with our bodies and metabolism cannot be controlled.

moondust1333833208.8071401 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008ga

yarnaholic1963, I have been through this.....

Several times{#emotions_dlg.crying}

For me, it was not just gaining weight, but each time I gained 'a size' I would shop for a whole new wardrobe!!! And YIKES!! I ended up having FOUR sizes!! in my closets!!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I did do 'some' Purging and would donate/give away clothes, but ALWAYS tried to KEEP what I Really, Really liked/enjoyed wearing and not just 'trendy' for the season. I went up in 'sizes' a little quickly (was Always Slender, my whole life before) and so, Many!! beautiful clothes Still-had-Tags!!-on-them!!{#emotions_dlg.blush}

Anywho!! I am soooo GLAD!! that I DID NOT!!! give All of my clothes Away!!!!!

I have LOST most of the weght that I gained in about 6 months--still have 'bout 10/15lbs to go, but I am GRATEFUL that I still have a Good Portion of my Favorite Clothes!! in 'this' current size and STILL Some for one more size Down!!!!

I say..........KEEP!! what you Really Really Enjoyed wearing!! Once you lose the weight (and you WILL!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}), of course, you will 'shop'.....we All Love to do that!!!, but you will still have some of the 'skinny' clothes that you really liked!!

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Nothing is so strong as gentleness and nothing is so gentle as true strength.
Ralph W. Sockman

kimsu11333833291.203422 PostsRegistered 9/24/2010

Get rid of them..new start, new perspective, and perhaps it's the clothes and all of the pain associated w/them that's keeping you stuck. Try it :-)

BonnieBelle1333834714.3819320 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

I'm just curious how old everyone who lost weight is?? After 50, it's very hard.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

lhs431333836157.353398 PostsRegistered 10/19/2011

I'm 58 BonnieBelle. I can't exercise like I used to, so the type of food I eat has become the most important factor in my success. To sum it up in one phrase: high protein, low carbs.

moondust1333836710.3231401 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008ga
On 4/7/2012 kimsu1 said:

Get rid of them..new start, new perspective, and perhaps it's the clothes and all of the pain associated w/them that's keeping you stuck. Try it :-)

ummm, think maybe {#emotions_dlg.confused1} you should re-read her post.....she clearly Indicated that the clothes were from a Good Time in her life.

Nothing is so strong as gentleness and nothing is so gentle as true strength.
Ralph W. Sockman

BonnieBelle1333838705.57719320 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007
On 4/7/2012 lhs43 said:

I'm 58 BonnieBelle. I can't exercise like I used to, so the type of food I eat has become the most important factor in my success. To sum it up in one phrase: high protein, low carbs.

Thanks. That's where I'm at also. Can't exercise much. Just try to walk as much as possible and have also been trying the low carb. Have to make a much better effort after Easter.

Last edited on 4/7/2012

Last edited on 4/7/2012

lhs431333839481.823398 PostsRegistered 10/19/2011
On 4/7/2012 BonnieBelle said:
On 4/7/2012 lhs43 said:

Thanks. That's where I'm at also. Can't exercise much. Just try to walk as much as possible and have also been trying the low carb. Have to make a much better effort after Easter.

Last edited on 4/7/2012

That's exactly what I do - walk briskly and a little Pilates. Very importantly, I never let anyone or anything else derail my efforts. I have no problem saying no to people. This is too important to me and I'm not concerned about hurting anyone else's feelings over FOOD.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} If they get offended by my choosing to eat my way, that's their problem. Holiday eating is no longer in my vocabulary, so I don't have the problem of "waiting until after the holiday." We also rarely eat out. It takes this kind of consistency and commitment to be successful.

house_cat1333839576.727920 PostsRegistered 6/28/2009Southern California

Okay, yarnaholic, I'm back. I'm in pretty much the same situation as you for a different reason and here's what I did. I took only my most favorite things that really made me feel like hot stuff and put them out of sight. I bought some new things that are a little bigger but still are flattering, because even with a few more pounds, we should still look and feel pretty. (I'm working on that.. it's easier said than done.) As I slim down again I'll try on the old stuff and celebrate that it fits and it will be like having new things.. but even better, because it's a triumph. Don't save anything that has bad vibes associated with it, that's not worth it.

>^..^< house cat

Danibeth1333839884.9731734 PostsRegistered 5/17/2007

Besides...who wants to wear OLD clothes when you lose the weight? Manuy are probably worn lookind and maybe not in stlye. Nothing like trying on the new stuff in the changing room and yelling when the zipper zips but you get to ask the salesperson to bring you a smaller size! Good luck on your weight loss...I know you can do it.

Danibeth

oceanair1333839992.393493 PostsRegistered 3/23/2005

If you would have asked this question the first of January I would have said get rid of them. However, I got sick the end of January and to date I have lost 20 pounds... luckly, I still had my skinny jeans packed away. I am 54 so I understand the battle of the bulge.

Page 1 of 2