Super Contributor

Canon TSV. . . Zoom lens not working as shown

I have been trying to use the long zoom lens. . . but the birds in my trees don't come in close like the lady's example of the Cardinal. Am I not doing something? I live in the woods and would like to take the bird pics. . .but I have to edit and crop etc or pinch the screen to get them like shown in the sample on air presentation. Guess I will send it back. Too bad

Respected Contributor

Re: Canon TSV. . . Zoom lens not working as shown

Should have gone to Costco!

Super Contributor

It works great but seems I am just missing something ..will call Canon
Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 SunnysMom said: It works great but seems I am just missing something ..will call Canon
If you can figure out a way of asking the question you want answered there is a ton of information online. Sometimes if you're lucky, you can find an answer that is easy to understand and helpful. To be honest, I have a lot of trouble understanding the typical camera user manuals. Good luck- I understand that they're VERY good cameras. I love taking bird pictures, but I use an old Kodak.
Super Contributor

It is more misrepresentation. . . they showed the Wide Angle ""Hawk"" way out. . .then the Zoom ""Hawk"" extremely closeup. But now I realize it is the two different lens. . .I did have a Minolta lens years ago that did this extreme zoom with the one zoom lens. . like a transit. . . I assumed the zoom lens would do this same extreme wonderful job of putting the subject right in your lap. . so to speak. Not so. . . Seems the only way to get that is to spend $1500 plus on a BIG lens. Bah!

Honored Contributor

My son is a filmmaker and uses Canon cameras. I have always used 35mm SLR Canon's too.

Most cities have authorized Canon dealers in the area.

I would bring my equipment there and get a quick overview of the lens (and maybe what you are doing wrong).

They are very helpful (want to get your business later).

Also check to see if Canon is having a special event at the stores, with their national reps on hand.

Respected Contributor

One issue you need to figure out before you take the camera for repair (and by the way, I'd probably use Canon's repair service. They have a website.)

The autofocus works by finding a large object in the viewfinder and assuming it's what you want in focus.

Now, let's consider the bird in the branches. There is a lot of small stuff and the lens system could get CONFUSED as to which object you want in total focus. So you have some choices:

1. Use the Av setting on the dial, and choose the smallest aperture (which is the biggest number, I know, I know, it's confusing.) this makes sure that the Depth of Field is long, in other words, MORE of the entire 3D of the picture is IN FOCUS. It does slow down the shutter speed, meaning you will get more hand shaking blur if there is low light.

2. Manually focus on the object you want in focus. This is slower, but if the bird is relatively far away, set the lens on infinity (farthest out) and it should be in focus. There is an A/M switch on the side of the lens. M means manual and you turn the lens ring while looking in the viewfinder, to see that your picture is in focus.

I assume you have the SL-1 that was a TSV a while ago? There is a great guidebook by David Busch that is helpful to read and work through. He wrote versions for the T5, etc if you have a different model.