Regular Contributor

Are these one hour presentations repetitive and boring to you?

We are a 'sound bite' culture. Do we really have to watch one hour presentations of products? Yes, we can turn the channel but why?? Why be forced to do this? Isn't this an outdated marketing model? One hour several times per day about one single product. . . even the show hosts, let alone the vendors, must get bored out of their minds. And exhausted.

I am actually watching a network comedy but during commercials I click to QVC and HSN. Would rather watch the network commercials and I don't even like them but they are short.

Why can't this tired presentation process be retired? I can examine a vacuum, or a piece of exercise equipment, or a couple of frying pans, in a store, make up my mind to purchase, all within a few minutes. Over and done. On to something else.

Valued Contributor

Re: Are these one hour presentations repetitive and boring to you?

I agree

Super Contributor

On 1/27/2015 SaggingGal said:

We are a 'sound bite' culture. Do we really have to watch one hour presentations of products? Yes, we can turn the channel but why?? Why be forced to do this? Isn't this an outdated marketing model? One hour several times per day about one single product. . . even the show hosts, let alone the vendors, must get bored out of their minds. And exhausted.

I am actually watching a network comedy but during commercials I click to QVC and HSN. Would rather watch the network commercials and I don't even like them but they are short.

Why can't this tired presentation process be retired? I can examine a vacuum, or a piece of exercise equipment, or a couple of frying pans, in a store, make up my mind to purchase, all within a few minutes. Over and done. On to something else.

Why? Because this is a retail selling network, with programing designed to capture marketed audiences during different parts of the day. If you are watching all day, then you will see products presented multiple times.

Vendors have one hour segments to capture the broadest possible market as people tune in to the show at different times. If I check out Mally's TSV at 6:10pm and you can't get to it until 6:45pm, the business model works. It's not a tv show, it's a selling format.

Vendors and hosts sign up for this, and make decent money for their labor. Selling is repetitive in television marketing.

Having said that, I am all too aware of the pronounced repetition during the holiday season. I think QVC has been having an epic fail with their paucity of new product infusion. We need some fresh products and fashions.

I think it helps to remember that the broadcasts need to span multiple time zones in the US and the repetition of programming nods to this as well.

Selling is the game.

Honored Contributor

Maybe they've figured out they catch more buyers that way? I know if I'm interested, I have a whole hour to tune in - I don't need to watch for a whole hour - just part of the hour.

And I rarely watch long when they're selling something I don't already want to buy. I watch something else or nothing at all. That's a total change from my QVC habits 10 years ago.

Honored Contributor

I agree - but their marketing is geared to total saturation and wear 'em down with repetition until they buy it. An outdated method, but to some extent it still works, so they go with it. What makes me crazy is on the weekends especially, when more people are home to tune in, even in passing, more hours, ALL of the shopping channels will show either a vendor or a TSV not only multiple times a day, but for time blocks of 2-4 hours! So for example Andrew Lessman or Skinn will be on from Friday midnight EST into 6 or 9 pm Sunday, and they will be on morning, noon and night for up to 2-3 hours at a time! So it's like out of 72 hours, one or two products are on for 36 of those hours. That's just insane. And with Invicta it might be 52 hrs out of 72. QVC does similar with the TSV between showing the item pretty much every hour for 15-20 minutes plus for an entire hour about 4-5 times a day.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

totally agree..

Trusted Contributor

I also agree! It's as if they think we're stupid! How many times do we need to see how a vacuum works? I find these lengthy product presentations insulting. Either say it quick, or I'll click! That's how I feel. It comes off as if customers aren't buying enough of the item, QVC thinks we will if they the same as hit us over the head with it, we will. Works just the opposite way for me.

Honored Contributor

Huh? You must. realize that Qvc is a retailer, they sell things. They aren't in business to entertain. So, watch a few minutes of Qvc and flip to a real tv station. I do much of my Qvc viewing during commercial breaks. There is life outside of shopping channels......
Esteemed Contributor

An hour is totally too long. I turn the channel.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I agree