Occasional Contributor

Corporate Suicide via redundant programming/TSV

I think QVC is trying to commit "corporcide", (ok, I made that up but it fits). Corporcide: a corporate entity that takes actions, makes decisions and otherwise engages in deliberate activities that result in its predictable demise. Usually accompanied by decries of "WT??" by its shocked and saddened ex customer base. Ultimately, all attempts to save the victim from harming itself are pushed aside by its overpaid and poorly educated and totally out-of-touch executive leadership. A last ditch effort is made by the board of directors when they vote to rent monkeys from the National Zoo to temporarily take over control by utilizing the communal dart board decision making model but usually these intervention techniques are too late. Length of time for this morbid disease varies. For every sale of redundant merchandise they have lost how many future sales from customers that are moving on? My guess is 2 current customers lost for every new one picked up during these days of redundancy. Not to mention the posters receiving nonfulfillment emails, people turned off by paying exhorbant shipping both ways to return merchandise that is shipped damaged. Lets not forget all the Gili customers returning loads of poor quality merchandise due to erratic sizing issues, leather that is surface dyed and more like pleather and the overpriced base metal jewelry that is not anything close to resembling the product demonstrated live on air. How many ways can we push customers away, lets see.... Pretty soon the Q's biggest competitor will be its own overhyped products being dumped on Ebay at the price points they should have been sold at initially. Its okay to sell Walmart quality merchandise if you are selling at a Walmart price. Pretending otherwise is just going to further erode what loyal customer base they have left.
Respected Contributor

Re: Corporate Suicide via redundant programming/TSV

Congratulations! Someone finally said it all. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Bravo!

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely spot on! I hope someone from management monitors these boards!!

Respected Contributor

It must be working for them, otherwise you'd see major changes. There must be a lot of ladies out there who are hoping for a Dyson for Christmas.

Super Contributor

Yeah, a Dyson, a way too expensive camera, a computer, etc. I have not tuned in for more than a few seconds for the last two weeks. Programming is getting horrible.

Super Contributor

You are spot on in your assessment. One need only to look at JCPenney's, Sears, Radio Shack, etc., and see the results of corporicide. These companies die slow painful deaths. Painful to the customer who has lost a comfortable place to shop for merchandise that they want and can afford. Painful to the sales staff who are frustrated by their inability to make a sale. Painful to the shareholders whose stock is losing value. It is not, however, painful to the executives who make these dreadful decisions. These guys walk away with generous payouts for a lousy job. They then slither off to another unfortunate entity.

What has happened to corporate America!

Respected Contributor

Thing is, though, Q continues to profit. The business plan works. They're not "suiciding," they're succeeding.
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/21/2014 Jackielee said:

Yeah, a Dyson, a way too expensive camera, a computer, etc. I have not tuned in for more than a few seconds for the last two weeks. Programming is getting horrible.

Me too!! I have not really watched a show on the Q for about two weeks. I check in every so often, but the product presentations are so repetitive and so boring! I have no need for a Dyson, computer, camera, tablet, mattress, phone charger etc. I just find it hard to believe that these same items can be shown over and over and still be doing well in sales!!

Trusted Contributor

You made some valid points however unless you have done some extensive business related research on them your premise isn't necessarily correct. Have you reviewed and analyzed their financial statements and their overall business model and compared them to others in the industry. For example, how much of their revenue comes from TV now versus the internet? Is overall revenue growing? What about operating revenue? What about net income? What % of items are returned for refund? Has that changed significantly over the years? What is their new customer growth rate? Is that decreasing or growing? Are they really losing two customers for every one they gain as you guessed?

Trying to gauge how their business is doing based on postings on this board or others is really not a good measurement. A very tiny fraction of Q customers post here and any forum out there always includes those people who just want a place to vent and complain, whether they have a valid reason or not, so that tiny fraction is even smaller in reality. I've been a customer for decades and have never had a delivery issue and have only returned a few items, but if you read this board you would think everyone has major issues with the company.

There are things like most of the TV presentations and some of their products that I don't like, but I do continue to buy certain items from them. Competition, particularly on the internet, has undoubtedly had an impact on them, but I suspect they aren't in the kind of trouble that you think but I haven't analyzed them enough to make an informed declaration.