Super Contributor

Tracfone or Straighttalk which is best

Wondering was interested in TSV but my grandson says Straighttalk is better, but didn't say why, I have Iphone but use it very little so thought this might be an alternative.

Contributor

Re: Tracfone or Straighttalk which is best

I don't know anything about straighttalk but I have had a tracfone for many years and love it. I don't have a smart phone, but my phone does give me triple minutes. It is an 800G and I love it. I don't have any dropped calls and I get service on my phone when friends on monthly plans don't. I would recommend tracfone to anyone.

Respected Contributor

I don't want anything android......

Respected Contributor

One thing to consider is coverage. You need to know which carrier your plan will use. Coverage will vary by location and Tracfone may be more clear and reliable than Straight Talk, or vice versa, depending on where you live.

With Tracfone you buy minutes up front and buy more when you need them. I haven't used Straight Talk before but the person I know who did had unlimited minutes/text/data for a flat price per month. They had to pay per month, but it was cheaper than a normal contract plan, and there was no contract to be locked into.

New Contributor

My husbband, daughter and myself have Straight talk and have had it for a few years now. We have unlimited talk, text and data. This is the only plan out there that has unlimited data. I pay $45/month per phone. Which is pretty cheap. The only down side is if you want to get a new phone, you have to pay full price for a new one.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had Straight-Talk for 7 years with no problems. It runs on Verizon towers here. I travel to California quite often & have no problems with coverage.

Super Contributor

If you are comparing prices, tracfone wins...unless you use your phone a lot and would have to keep buying more minutes.

I use my tracfone phone a moderate amount and never run out of minutes-texts-or data, so I am paying about $100-$130 (depending on phone choice) per year...that averages out to about $8.30- $10.80 per month!

As for coverage, all of tracfones new smartphones use Verizon so coverage is great!

Honored Contributor

I don't know anything about straight talk but I have had a tracfone for 8 years since I retired and I am completely satisfied with it. I do not get dropped calls and the coverage is great - even as we travel.

Honored Contributor

We have Straight Talk, and you can get either GSM (ATT carrier) or CDMA (Verizon) phones, depending on where you live and which carrier is in your area. At least that's how it works here. The phones may vary depending on which carrier you choose.

If you don't have a smartphone, you can get a $30 per month card which will give you 1500 minutes, unlimited texts, and 100MB data. I believe all the smartphones require the $45 per month cards, which I think is the unlimited plan.

We live in sort of a dead area, so our coverage at the house is "iffy" at times. However, in town there is no problem and even our little flip phone works great.

We rarely use the phone, but I keep it for emergencies.